IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Response from Lexus/MarkLevinson regarding DVD-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 09:33 AM
ivanpetrov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a chance to use the IS ML, but I can say the GS ML plays 6 channel DVD-A correctly.

Possible problems I've discovered from home theatre players:

1. Dual discs are worse than CDs in some cases. Not only are the unreliable, you must be sure that it is a 6-chan mix, not a 2 chan or DD. Don't use them as your baseline.

2. Old DVD-A's used 'groups' to separate 6, 2, and DD tracks so you could not switch between surround modes while playing. However, newer (2002/2003 on) discs put both 6 and 2 channel mixes on one group, and the player is supposed to be able to downmix the 6 chan when told to. SOME discs will default to the 2 channel mix, and I have not played enough with an ML system to know how to control the settings.

3. Some DVD-As are at fault as well. For example, R***s Automatic for the People says that DVDA 2 channel will play only on a DVDA player but elsewhere on the packaging says it will play on a DVDV player.

Best thing is to test on a home theatre and compare the mix. Some--most--DVDAs are just front heavy in general. If there is a legitamate issue with the IS player, ML can put out a software fix if they hear enough complaints.
Old 02-15-06, 10:12 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

My dual discs are recent, within the last 12 months manufactured and mixed, and you cannot select a downmix, DVD-A 6 channel stream only or the 2 channel mix (if the decoder doesn't support the DVD-A stream it will mix to DD but this is non-selectable). However as dual discs and not straight DVD-A I accepted the fact that this may be their primary flaw.

Comparing them in the home theater on a true DVD-A player I know the mix is there. I know the DVD-A mix is appearing correctly on the IS ML, it shows as PCM 98 3/2.1. So I'm unsure if it's an issue with my stereo exclusively or the IS Levinson in general. There is truly sound coming from the rears, just certain parts sent to certain channels. I'm well aware that the rear may not carry predominant parts of the mix or carry a constant part of the mix at all... but things that should be coming out are not.

I'm going to continue to follow up with Lexus Customer Experience, as much as I can, and would love the opportunity to try another ML equipped IS if anyone's got some time on a weekend and is relatively close to me.

I love music, I love quality, I love surround mixes (when done well). While I'm aware not everyone falls into this category and some people may not care it is a subject that matters to me. Thanks for all the input and experiences so far everyone!
Old 02-15-06, 12:37 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I emailed my contact at Mark Levinson...

and described F1's issue with the rear channel info getting lost. From what I know about the Mark Levinson system it converts 5.1 surround over to the 7.1 layout of the car's system. Possibly this conversion is changing the imaging. Because of the front middle channel and numerous front speakers close to the driver/front passenger I would expect the staging to favor the front anyway. I appreciate F1's ability ( much like Percy's) to discern subtle changes in the music reproduction in the MLevinson system vs. his home syst***s baseline. My contact at ML asked whch DVD-A's were used and if there was no sound or some other problem. I mentioned the Frank Zappa: Halloween and the Nine Inch Nails. It seems like Stone Temple Pilots: Core works but the ML has altered the mix in some way. To be continued....

Rock
Old 02-15-06, 06:22 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

So when buying DVD-A discs for use in the ML, what should one look for on the packaging: DTS, DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, DVD Audio ?
Old 02-15-06, 06:54 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Well the dual disc ones I've gotten don't have a way to select the stream, so although the DVD-A track is on there it just doesn't seem to decode right. They do have a 2 channel stereo track available on all of them I've seen, and it's still a good sounding track although you get increased separation and usually a higher bit-rate.

So in retrospect. I wish I could tell you, but I can't... although DTS (Dolby Digital is good but I prefer the sound of DTS in most cases) tracks still sound stellar in the car, if it decodes properly the DVD-A track is better... I believe you should get what sounds good to you.

And if it sounds really good then tell me!
Old 02-15-06, 07:09 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

So I guess you're saying, don't buy dual discs, and stick to DVD-A.
Old 02-15-06, 07:20 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

I visited Circuit city and ask the guy in the cd area where the dvd-a's were and he pointed me to the stereo areas so I went over and looked and nothing. Then I went back and asked another guy and he told me in the computer area (which I looked at him weird) and he went to look.. nothing. I went back and said WTF and the guy said... "I dunno what those are"...”Did you look online?”…

So I just bought a few from Amazon.

Damn Circuit City is a waist of time.
Old 02-15-06, 07:46 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I visited Circuit city and ask the guy in the cd area where the dvd-a's were and he pointed me to the stereo areas so I went over and looked and nothing. Then I went back and asked another guy and he told me in the computer area (which I looked at him weird) and he went to look.. nothing. I went back and said WTF and the guy said... "I dunno what those are"...”Did you look online?”…

So I just bought a few from Amazon.

Damn Circuit City is a waist of time.
Oy vey. Hilarious, but I'm sorry you had to go through that

That's kinda BSish... I call deceptive marketing as well. However, what I want is the player to be able to read MP3 files from a DVD, since you can fit WELL over 100 cd's worth of MP3's on there, it'd be like having a 100+ CD changer.
Old 02-16-06, 08:43 AM
ivanpetrov
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
So I guess you're saying, don't buy dual discs, and stick to DVD-A.
Dual discs are OK, but just make sure they have the DVD-A logo and whether it is a 2 or 6 channel mix. It's hard to find many new stand alone DVD-As, most are dual disc now.