IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone gone from a 2nd generation Acura CL/TL Type S to an IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 04:58 PM
mike714
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gone from a 2nd generation Acura CL/TL Type S to an IS350?

Just a few questions:

How do you like your new ride overall?
How do the navigation systems compare?
How does the IS sport suspension compare to the Type S?
Any regrets?
Old 02-13-06, 05:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me.

To me, everything about the IS350 is better. And I do mean everything.
Old 02-13-06, 05:08 PM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
To me, everything about the IS350 is better. And I do mean everything.
Hey I remember you from Acura-cl.com a few years ago. Didn't you drive an insane number of miles? How'd your CL hold up?
Old 02-13-06, 05:11 PM
kevp913
Rookie

Originally Posted by mike714
Just a few questions:

Any regrets?
I had a 2001 Acura CL TypeS that I sold when I got my new IS350. I was the original owner of the car for a little over 5 years.

The new IS far surpasses the CL in handling. The weight distribution, firmness, and power all far exceed that of the CL-S. I can't speak for the IS Sport Suspension, but the standard IS350 suspension is much sportier than the CL TypeS suspension ever was! The Acura in my opinion suffered from horrible body roll and soft suspension. My suspension in the end was starting to get loose and going over slight bumps would cause the wheel to jerk slightly. None of this happens in the Lexus!

If you couldn't tell, I love the new IS350 and think it is far superious to my CL-S. No regrets at all!!!
Old 02-13-06, 05:20 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Just a few questions:

Any regrets?
I had an 02 TL Type S (and an 03 MDX).

The IS350 is seriously better then my old TL in just about every single way.

Some notes:

"Sports shift": Not even in the same ball park. My TLs never had the tranny problem but I swear that some times it would take the thing 5 seconds to shift. The Is is VERY fast. Much better tranny. One thing that bugs me about the IS is that it puts itself in 4th gear when you switch to sport.

Wheels/Tires: Honda/Acuras typical down fall. I id put 18" rims on my TLs but they barely fit at 225. The stock rims and tires were typical crap from Acura/Honda. the IS350's stock 18's are really great for this class.

Fit and finish. My Tl had a lot of squeaks... sun roof (took it in 2 times), seat belts (took in in 3 times and never got fixed), etc...

Perf: Teh IS350 blows it away period. However the IS350's traction control is a LOT more intrusive then the TL's. It wants to get involved with everything and you cant turn it off without some maneuvers. But when you do, the RWD with 300+ hp dominated the TL.

Bose vs ML... holy god.. no comparison.. ML is GOD.

I think in the end that I was disappointed with my TLs (moved to an Sti lol, how radical of a difference is that), I sold it after a year. However it totally fit my life back then when I was doing 1000 mile trips in one week about once every few month or so.

I would buy a TL in the future if they offered AWD-SH and fixed up some of the finish.

But the TLs is probably the best bang for the buck that you can get by far in this class
Old 02-13-06, 05:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Hey I remember you from Acura-cl.com a few years ago. Didn't you drive an insane number of miles? How'd your CL hold up?
Yeah that's me. I only had about 120k on that 2001 CL-S. It held up just enough to haul it over for trade-in on a decent Lexus. I can't talk badly about the CL-S because while I drove it, I couldn't have known about the IS.
Old 02-13-06, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by kensteele
Yeah that's me. I only had about 120k on that 2001 CL-S. It held up just enough to haul it over for trade-in on a decent Lexus. I can't talk badly about the CL-S because while I drove it, I couldn't have known about the IS.

Just kidding dude(s).
Old 02-13-06, 05:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahhaa seems like a lot of old acura owners here huh? yeah the is350 will completely blow away the cl-s/tl-s. the 04 tl you might be able to argue a bit, but the older ones, not even close
Old 02-13-06, 07:19 PM
krookid
Driver

I have a 2005 Acura TL A spec 6mt/nav and a IS 350 ML/Nav/Lux and the IS, is far superior imo. The TLmay actually have a better sound system although not noticibe enough to rag on the IS ( the TL system is great so thats saying alot for the IS ML) Fun factor the IS wins hands down the old fwd vs. rwd thing and its just a better machine overall. The nav system in the TL is hands down the best nav system I have ever used, no overrides codes hacks needed it just lets you do what you want whenever you want. The IS nav is very user friendly also it is quicker. The TL has alot of rattles also. Really to sum it up if they would have given me a decent amount for trade I would't still have the TL. The Lex is pure enjoyment with no compromise
Old 02-13-06, 07:50 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before my IS350 I had an 02 CL-S for just over a year and 27k miles which I traded in on IS. I couldn't give the car away in 4 months I tried selling it. It was an ok car, I lowered mine, which gave it a little better handle, but you can only do so much to a front wheel drive tuna boat.

Hands down the IS is a better car all the way around, I don't have sport suspension but the handling and ride are much better than the CL and performance greatly over shadows the CL especially in the top end where the CL didn't have much the IS just pulls and keeps pulling.

I don't regret moving from the CL to the IS. I don't miss the car as it was starting to fall apart with only 62k miles on it, which was surprising cause my civic had 156k, which squeaked and rattled less. I do miss the side bolsters, memory and heated seats through. I know I could have gotten everything on the IS if I had the patents to wait 3 months but I got a deal on my IS I couldn't pass up.
Old 02-13-06, 08:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Ramblings off-topic is still the best over at acurazine.com
Old 02-13-06, 08:44 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Im coming from a 2001 3.2CL-S. But have yet to really drive the IS 350. Wish I could help out more. Lets just say I have yet to hear about tranny problems though. Knock on wood
Old 02-14-06, 06:33 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

the IS350 is better in pretty much every way compared to my old tl-s. but then again, for the price we pay for the IS, it better be.
Old 02-14-06, 06:34 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Redpaste
Lets just say I have yet to hear about tranny problems though. Knock on wood
oh hell yea... and the weak *** brakes as well. i absolutely love the brakes on the 350. the caliper is HUGE. its like 2 times the size of the calipers on the tl, cl, accord and pretty much every honda :lol:
Old 02-14-06, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost
the IS350 is better in pretty much every way compared to my old tl-s. but then again, for the price we pay for the IS, it better be.
ah, so you ARE car_lost from acuraworld.com!!!!! i have been reading your names and wonder if you are the same guy

welcome!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a 2nd generation Acura CL/TL Type S to an IS350?