IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

things you wish Lexus had done differently on the 06 IS....or 2007 wish list.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 06:18 AM
YADL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
All Season 18" tires would be better in our region to go with the 18" rims.
Rock
Rock, do you think there is any chance of this happening? In the D.C. area, your choice is a stripped 350 with 17" all seasons or a loaded 350 (NAV, lux but no ML) with 18" summer tires. I want a loaded 350, but my stubborn refusal to get summer tires in D.C. is keeping me out of the car.
Old 02-16-06, 06:22 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YADL
Rock, do you think there is any chance of this happening? In the D.C. area, your choice is a stripped 350 with 17" all seasons or a loaded 350 (NAV, lux but no ML) with 18" summer tires. I want a loaded 350, but my stubborn refusal to get summer tires in D.C. is keeping me out of the car.
Why would you care that much in D.C.? It snows about 3 freaking times a year, if that. Ok, ok, so we just got a foot dumped on us, but that's a momentous event down here.

Besides, no one here has a clue how to drive in the snow (or in general), so I'd prefer to stay in. All seasons in the 350 w/RWD aren't going to get you through much in the way of snow anyway.
Old 02-16-06, 06:39 AM
meta1
Driver School Candidate

I would like standard:
1. HID's
2. A manual
3. Memory seats standard
Other than that Im pretty happy. And yes from my understanding the rear lights are led. Also looking at the Infinti lights and other rear HID'S that are really bold and stand out hurst my eyes when they are in front of me. I think it is overkill.
Old 02-16-06, 07:01 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YADL
Summer tires spin like crazy even in dry conditions, until they heat up, when temperatures are under 50 degrees.
Old 02-16-06, 07:08 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heffergm
Huh? The IS350 transmission is a sealed unit. There's no drain plug.
Incorrect my carpetbagger friend here in VA . There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. The sealed part is just their way of saying no dipstick and 80k or 100k miles to change. I plan on changing at 36k before it turns to molasses. I recommend you do the same. I read there is a side access on the transmission that you use to put fluid back in. You have to get underneath the car to see.
I can send you a pic, that someone posted up here of the view under the IS 350, when I get home from work, and it clearly shows a drain plug.
cheers,
'snowpansie '
Old 02-16-06, 07:16 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I hope Heffergm gets to try his car before all....

Originally Posted by heffergm
Why would you care that much in D.C.? It snows about 3 freaking times a year, if that. Ok, ok, so we just got a foot dumped on us, but that's a momentous event down here.

Besides, no one here has a clue how to drive in the snow (or in general), so I'd prefer to stay in. All seasons in the 350 w/RWD aren't going to get you through much in the way of snow anyway.
of the snow melts! The car will do just fine in the snow especially once you put some all-season's on it. The VDIM is magic in the snow. One of our sales guys just got his IS350 from special order on Friday and it snowed a lot Saturday night and little Sunday. He has the Sport Package which comes shod with 18" Summers and it did just fine. My only problem with the IS350 is that we are constantly sold out......I don't even have one to play in the snow with and my sales guy friend won't even toss me his keyfob! ( He's very intelligent unfortunately ) Heffergm, you won't miss your Subaru much. The worst condition we get around here is the freezing rain where you see people just abandoning their cars on the sidelines. VDIM helps that the best especially those transitions from icy to dry pavement. You will be amazed. Take your IS350 to a snow covered empty parking lot and test it out. It is so much fun. Then you can return it to the Bat cave and protect it from (to put it nicely) the Southern drivers of Washington DC.

YADL. All of the IS350's in our region so far have come with 18's. Do not hesitate to buy this car with this setup. You can always add all-seasons next Winter. My friend here at the dealership got the PCS option. The seatbelts pretensioners will react if the car starts to skid which is not likely with the VDIM there to protect you. He just has to have everything. ( I'm just jealous) Don't forget the Snow button on the transmission. It will help for just rainy weather too. The rest of the time try the Power position.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-16-06 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 07:28 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hello Grey Hound...

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Incorrect my carpetbagger friend here in VA . There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. The sealed part is just their way of saying no dipstick and 80k or 100k miles to change. I plan on changing at 36k before it turns to molasses. I recommend you do the same. I read there is a side access on the transmission that you use to put fluid back in. You have to get underneath the car to see.
I can send you a pic, that someone posted up here of the view under the IS 350, when I get home from work, and it clearly shows a drain plug.
cheers,
'snowpansie '
There is a drain plug but it doesn't drain really. The drain plug gives you access to the fluid for testing and removal but you need a special tool to do so. This is to make sure Jiffy lube doesn't mangle your transmission by putting in the wrong fluid. Change it whenever you feel the need but it's not a DIY deal unless you want to invest in specialized equipment. You won't find any dipstick either because that would allow someone to accidentally add the wrong fluid type.
Any news on your IS350? Sorry if OFF Topic....

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-16-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 07:50 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
Take your IS350 to a snow covered empty parking lot and test it out. It is so much fun. Then you can return it to the Bat cave and protect it from (to put it nicely) the Southern drivers of Washington DC.
I did exactly this Saturday night around 9:30pm in Silver Spring- (only with my 250 awd). It was a blast and I was pleasantly surprised at how much traction I had...VSC only beeped at me once in the minute or two I was screwing around (my girl in the passenger seat 'beeped' at me a few more times than once ). I was out until about 10:30 up near Columbia where there was a good 2-4 inches of snow building up on the roads. I never lost traction!
Old 02-16-06, 07:53 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terp05
I did exactly this Saturday night around 9:30pm in Silver Spring- (only with my 250 awd). It was a blast and I was pleasantly surprised at how much traction I had...VSC only beeped at me once in the minute or two I was screwing around (my girl in the passenger seat 'beeped' at me a few more times than once ). I was out until about 10:30 up near Columbia where there was a good 2-4 inches of snow building up on the roads. I never lost traction!
What's the fun in driving in the snow if you never lose traction? My WRX is an oversteering drift machine in the snow. Mucho fun!
Old 02-16-06, 08:04 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

a light in the trunk!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-06, 08:19 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by r6z9r
a light in the trunk!!!!!!!
I believe there is one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3752

According to the manual, it does have an on/off switch. I do recall reading a review by a reviewer who apparently could not find the switch and reported that there was no trunk light.
Old 02-16-06, 08:24 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

There is a light in the trunk. Look for a switch on the roof of the trunk

I have made you Lexus wish come true!
Old 02-16-06, 08:27 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Langdell
I believe there is one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3752

According to the manual, it does have an on/off switch. I do recall reading a review by a reviewer who apparently could not find the switch and reported that there was no trunk light.
sweet thanks...i guess i missed that part of the manual...thnks again.
Old 02-16-06, 09:40 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

It's funny that almost EVERYTHING people want is already available. Little do they not realize that if those items become standard, they WILL be paying for them one way or another.

It's better to get more than you need, than less than you want.
Old 02-16-06, 01:29 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bagwell]I personally don't like the blue/green eyebrow thing and am GLAD they didn't put it on....isn't that what the visors are for? IMO -- the tint strip looks cheap...like a GM car to me.....

If you notice, most late model GM vehicles have done away with the eyebrow, and that was strictly to save a few nickels on every vehicle they sell. In their case, they need to cut corners. But Toyota/Lexus certainly doesn't need to save a few nickels on every IS they sell. If this keeps up, next year Lexus will eliminate the hood struts and replace them with a hood prop rod. Then they will eliminate the door courtesy lights, do away with the glove box and center console light, etc. Just wait and see. Its their way of decontenting a vehicle. I've seen it happen on many other makes. Granted these are little things, but I for one enjoy having little things like that in a vehicle.

Last edited by BobsGX; 02-16-06 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: things you wish Lexus had done differently on the 06 IS....or 2007 wish list.