IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 01:30 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lem144
I'm still not buying the arguments. I'm sorry, I've just heard too much conflicting information. If I werent at work I'd call 5 different parts/service guys to see what they all say.
no need to argue--just go look at a car and see for yourself. No one is going to take the thing apart just to prove it to you (Lexus has made this assembly extremely difficult to remove, just as it's getting increasingly difficult to change headlamp or fog light bulbs these days). Just call the service/parts guy that told you it was bulb, and ask him which bulb number the brake light is. The owner's manual doesn't even mention the replacement bulb type or number.
Old 02-15-06, 01:46 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

The updated Lexus USA web site ( http://www.lexus.com/models/is/350_specifications.html ) lists the 2006 IS as having LED taillamps. Make what you want of it.
Old 02-15-06, 02:13 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
if this helps, i disassembled the center light housing while i installed my spoiler (curiosity). there was a bulb plug for the reverse light, but no bulb plugs for parking/brake lights. i did see something that resembled a circuit board. FACT: i only saw one twist on bulb plug on each assembly. Bulb plugs are not small, so they are not hard to miss.
they are LED's. i took it apart, saw with my eyes as they are totally different. you can take it apart for yourself, or call parts and ask for bulb size and part number.
Old 02-15-06, 02:28 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tail lamps and Brake lights are LED's standard...

on both the IS250 and 350. On the RX330 the brake lights are LED's. On the RX400h both the tail lamps and brake lights are LED's. In the IS most of the interior lights are white LED's and so are the rear tag lamps. LED's use less energy, have a long lifespan and as far as brake lights come on ten times faster than incandescent bulbs. We started using LED tail lights/ brake lights on the 2004 LS430. The GS has 'em too.

Take it easy on the Salesguy bashing, OK?

Rock
Old 02-15-06, 02:39 PM
tonyscv
Driver

FWIW... the license plate lights are LED's as well, and if you lift up the trunk at night you can get a good look at the (rather large) LED's throgh the clear plastic cover. They appear to be the same size LED's as the ones in the brake lights.
Old 02-16-06, 06:59 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S L I C K
The updated Lexus USA web site ( http://www.lexus.com/models/is/350_specifications.html ) lists the 2006 IS as having LED taillamps. Make what you want of it.
and for the IS250s. So bizarre that it took this long to clarify.
Old 02-17-06, 08:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the exploded diagram of the tail lite assembly ....looks like bulbs to me...

Last edited by bagwell; 02-17-06 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-17-06, 09:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I have the exploded diagram of the tail lite assembly ....looks like bulbs to me...
I think they are big LED bulbs. Is there such a thing?
Old 02-17-06, 09:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think they are big LED bulbs. Is there such a thing?
sure there is...

Old 02-17-06, 09:21 AM
sjava
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand. Why did they make LED taillights that don't look like LED lights? I know LED lights are functionally better but a lot of people like them visually.
Old 02-17-06, 10:30 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the bulbs in the diagram looks like they are for turn signals and reverse lights.
Old 02-17-06, 10:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjava
I don't understand. Why did they make LED taillights that don't look like LED lights? I know LED lights are functionally better but a lot of people like them visually.
Lexus looks towards simplicity and elegance; the LED lights are supposed to be balanced with the clean lines of the car. If it stands out too much, then Lexus is not doing their job.

The G35 and Civics have LED lights that stand out because they are trying to make a statement: "we are technologically savvy." However, Lexus makes a different and more refined statement: Luxury is about having the simplicity and elegance of technology, not "bling"...
Old 02-17-06, 10:35 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Default This Is Maddening!

Originally Posted by sjava
ARGH. I'm very uneducated on LEDs - obviously. I'm going to assume that since Lexus is advertising them as having LEDs that it does. The parts guy might not have know - weird, but possible. I suppose there could be a large-LED...But in all I am glad this discussion is occurring.
Old 02-17-06, 10:42 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

LED = Light Emitting Diode

It doesn't have to be small, and it doesn't have to be used in the way you're all thinking. All someone needs to do is go look at the bulb in their taillight. It should be really easy to access, since they're made to be replaced (although one of the upsides of LEDs is long lasting bulbs).
Old 02-17-06, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heffergm
LED = Light Emitting Diode

All someone needs to do is go look at the bulb in their taillight. It should be really easy to access, since they're made to be replaced (although one of the upsides of LEDs is long lasting bulbs).
easier said than done...there's no easy access.

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights