IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

to wait or not to wait..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 06:58 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default to wait or not to wait..

i guess im fortunate that my parents agreed to buy me an IS 350....but that wont happen till around my birhtday wich is in May..i will mostly likely end up speacil ordering it becasue i would like a breakwater blue with nav and ML...havent made up my mind if i want the lux pakg or the sprot pakg...but considering that i would have to wait at least 120 days or so...that puts the arival around september..........Do you guys think i should just wait to see what 2007 has in store?....
Old 02-16-06, 07:00 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
i guess im fortunate that my parents agreed to buy me an IS 350....but that wont happen till around my birhtday wich is in May..i will mostly likely end up speacil ordering it becasue i would like a breakwater blue with nav and ML...havent made up my mind if i want the lux pakg or the sprot pakg...but considering that i would have to wait at least 120 days or so...that puts the arival around september..........Do you guys think i should just wait to see what 2007 has in store?....
Two things...
1) you should wait
2) you suck.
Old 02-16-06, 07:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you haven't done so, if you do a search, there's a thread specifically about the differences inthe LUX vs Sport pkgs. They're pretty close....I think basically if you like the wood go with the LUX, if not go fo the Sport.

...and if you have to wait until May to order, you'll still be looking at an 06...with the 3 months(!!) wait time that will put you into August....I don't think you can order the 07 until very late in the year, Sept or Oct at the earliest.

Also - I predict absolutely no changes at all for 07.....again....this is just my opinion.
Old 02-16-06, 08:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should special order it. You get exactly what you want without the hassle of looking for the car, or compromising by getting the "almost perfect" car. Also, you may get the car earlier than expected.

I don't think they will change much with the 2007 (beyond the coupe and convertible, if that's your cup of tea). If anything, minor cosmetic and technological details will be changed, that all can be easily bought and installed later.

Congratulations on your "free" car!!! LUCKY!!!
I also have Breakwater Blue with Nav+ML. Black interior. Check out my IS pics on the CL Gallery. I will post up more pictures by Monday: I just got chromes yesterday and will tint and clear bra on Saturday...
Old 02-16-06, 08:26 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

thank you all for the quick responses...i will then go ahead and get the car asap...i think ive waited long enough..but then again what a present it will be...

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I also have Breakwater Blue with Nav+ML. Black interior.
thats exactly what i want....

is it possible to get the lux with out the wood...?
Old 02-16-06, 08:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope... Sorry...
Old 02-16-06, 10:57 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

i guess im fortunate that my parents agreed to buy me an IS 350....
my parents bought me my first car when i was 16. i'm still driving it 16 years later. to get a lexus as your virgin ride? that's pretty sweet.
but that wont happen till around my birhtday wich is in May..i will mostly likely end up speacil ordering it becasue i would like a breakwater blue with nav and ML...havent made up my mind if i want the lux pakg or the sprot pakg...but considering that i would have to wait at least 120 days or so...that puts the arival around september.........
why don't you get your parents to special order it now so it will be ready for you in june sometime instead of waiting until your actual birthday to special order?
Old 02-16-06, 11:05 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charlesmsn
why don't you get your parents to special order it now so it will be ready for you in june sometime instead of waiting until your actual birthday to special order?
That's what I was going to say. Order it now! You still won't get it before your birthday, but at least you won't have as long a wait... And I don't think you need to put down a large deposit to special order. You could even put down the deposit yourself (depending on your situation) and have your parents pay it back when the car comes in. Do it man!
Old 02-16-06, 11:07 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you all for the quick responses...i will then go ahead and get the car asap...i think ive waited long enough..but then again what a present it will be...

I think wood looks good withblack or cashmere interior, I am sure someone would be willing to trade parts with you. There is a faq on taking apart the center console. (Look up NAV Mod)

Since I have sterling interior, wood is a no go. Well, maybe... send me an email when you get the car, I may be willing to swap, if you are willing to drive up to richmond VA(My GF Goes to school there).

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-16-06 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 12:24 PM
Cypren
Driver

I didn't really want the wood interior at first either, but it's grown on me. And it's definitely a "prestige" thing -- people notice it and often comment on how nice the interior is. I don't think the aluminum quite has that same "refined" feel -- and let's face it, if you're buying a Lexus over, say, a WRX STi, it's because you're prioritizing luxury over performance to at least some degree.

But that's just my two bits.
Old 02-16-06, 12:39 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypren
I didn't really want the wood interior at first either, but it's grown on me. And it's definitely a "prestige" thing -- people notice it and often comment on how nice the interior is. I don't think the aluminum quite has that same "refined" feel -- and let's face it, if you're buying a Lexus over, say, a WRX STi, it's because you're prioritizing luxury over performance to at least some degree.

But that's just my two bits.
You couldn't be more wrong. You're buying a Lexus for quality and refinement over,say, a WRX. I think wood is an age thing. Older people seem to like it, personally I don't.
Old 02-16-06, 12:49 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New poll: Like wood or not?

What age are you? I love the Yamaha Piano Co. hand finished wood vs. the grey plastic but I'm old. Actually I'm ancient compared to most on this board! I keep worrying that someday they're going to run out of wood.....OH yeah, order the car now and have a great summer, grasshopper.........

Rock
Old 02-16-06, 12:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypren
I don't think the aluminum quite has that same "refined" feel
What aluminum?

Lexus calls it "metallic finish", but sparing the euphemisms, it's plastic.

If it were a choice between wood and alumnimum, I might choose aluminum. But between wood and plastic, I'll take the wood for sure.
Old 02-16-06, 12:59 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I think the wood looks out of place in an otherwise very sporty and modern interior. If you could get real aluminum, or even carbon fiber (the S4 has it - very slick) that would be awesome, but I'll still take almost anything over wood.

But ya, I noticed the age thing too. I'm 26 and would not want wood in a car right now. My dad and my aunt, both in their 50's, think wood is God's gift to car interiors. What can ya do...?
Old 02-16-06, 01:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
What age are you? I love the Yamaha Piano Co. hand finished wood vs. the grey plastic but I'm old. Actually I'm ancient compared to most on this board! I keep worrying that someday they're going to run out of wood.....OH yeah, order the car now and have a great summer, grasshopper.........

Rock
Let's face it, the "metallic" and "wood" are both plastic looking. I can't really consider the pretentious, highly polished, mirror finished, micron thin veneer, Lexus uses real, although it very well may be. It just looks so phony, 70's Buick era. Maybe if they used real (looking) wood, like in the Range Rover for example, that might be somewhat appealing. But it's all a personal preference (clearly).

Last edited by TimboIS; 02-16-06 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: to wait or not to wait..