IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shift Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 12:45 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this cars shifting amazes me! I was playing with it just yesterady. I flipped from 6th to 3rd with 3 rapid clicks and was in it. I was shocked!

Blows away the one on my old TL type S
Old 02-17-06, 02:57 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

yes, there is definately Shift Lag - so much so, I don't ever use the paddles. I tried the drive the car like a REAL manual thing (lifting off the gas while shifting), that just makes it worse. Seems the best response that I got was when flooring it; you definately have to time your shifts accordingly so you don't end up bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 02-17-06, 03:08 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

It is on the slow side. Our Mini-S was a padel shift auto that was very quick. Our 330i in manual mode is also fast to change "gears" but not as fast as the Mini. No doubt once tuning options come out we should see big improvements.
Old 02-17-06, 07:08 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
yes, there is definately Shift Lag - so much so, I don't ever use the paddles. I tried the drive the car like a REAL manual thing (lifting off the gas while shifting), that just makes it worse. Seems the best response that I got was when flooring it; you definately have to time your shifts accordingly so you don't end up bouncing off the rev limiter.
ya i usually try to shift a second or two early so that itll shift right...im dissappointed about the shift lag. everything else about the car is just awesome though
Old 02-17-06, 07:56 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the lag on my car too. After driving a stick for the last 15 years, having the car not shift exactly when you want it to takes some getting used to.

When I use the paddle shifters, I just shift earlier than I really want to.
Old 02-18-06, 12:55 AM
x2mkx
Driver

ya...hopelfully there will be some upgrades later that might help eliminate the lag. still, the lag shouldnt be too much a problem if you shift earlier..at least i hope not
Old 02-18-06, 01:25 AM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

i have the Teck Grounding kit and it helps with the lag, i'm not going to say its gone but its much better then before...
Old 02-18-06, 01:58 AM
CarFan
Driver School Candidate

Greetings!

I've had one brief, and very impressive drive (albeit not 'perfect') of an IS250, and had no problems with either the paddles or the floor shifter re 'manual/sequential' mode.

I've driven most of the latest BMW's with the exception of the M series, and without doing an A/B I'd say the 'lag' is about the same.

On the Bimmers with their ZF autos, they all via the linked Engine ECU/transmission, slightly retard the timing on the change up, so as to reduce engine torque and hence shift shock. I should imagine that the Aisin unit fitted to the IS Lexus models would be at least the match in terms of refinement of electronic shift control, and hence results.

Obviously if you have your foot well planted, and the engine is putting out full, or near enough full power, the shift will be fractionaly slower than when cruising on a light throttle; again to soften shift shock - certainly all the Bimmers I've driven do that.

One exception I found was with Mercs; they of course do design and build their own gearboxes in-house; all of the new ones I've driven lack the smoothness of the ZF autos in the BMW's when driven under kickdown/full power/acceleration mode; But with a faster, albeit jerkier change. Take ones pick I guess.

Personally I find with a combination of using either paddles, or the sequential mode of the floor shifter in combination with left foot braking, one can get a great deal of control and satisfaction when pushing on in ones driving during more, er, enthusiastic moments. True, not quite as satsifying as heel and toeing manual changes in a true manual, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Fully robotised SMG manuals, such as the BMW box, with electronics/hydraulics controlling an otherwise conventional manual gearbox, will have the fastest changes, and best performance, but usually they're not very smooth either; I've certainly read of a few BMW M5's being towed away after using the launch mode broke the transmission!

The best all-round auto/sequential robotised manual setup I have found is the Volkswagen DSG gearbox used in the Golf GIT, the new Jetta, and of course in the Bugatti Veyron (not likely to ever get to drive one of those!) when performance is the issue, combined with smoothness.

However a 'conventional' epicyclic gearbox with torque convertor as used in the IS250 is still the best compromise if smoothness, coupled with some manual control is the desired outcome, which I guess is where Lexus are coming from, i.e. the IS250 is a luxury vehicle with a sports feel/driving balance.

Best

John..
Old 02-18-06, 06:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I've never owned a car with a "manumatic" before, but when I had my Audi I got lots of loaners cars with them. It seemed like the Audis shifted much quicker - I'd estimate about half the lag time - as compared with the Lexus.
Old 02-18-06, 01:20 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by CarFan
Greetings!

I've had one brief, and very impressive drive (albeit not 'perfect') of an IS250, and had no problems with either the paddles or the floor shifter re 'manual/sequential' mode.

I've driven most of the latest BMW's with the exception of the M series, and without doing an A/B I'd say the 'lag' is about the same.

On the Bimmers with their ZF autos, they all via the linked Engine ECU/transmission, slightly retard the timing on the change up, so as to reduce engine torque and hence shift shock. I should imagine that the Aisin unit fitted to the IS Lexus models would be at least the match in terms of refinement of electronic shift control, and hence results.

Obviously if you have your foot well planted, and the engine is putting out full, or near enough full power, the shift will be fractionaly slower than when cruising on a light throttle; again to soften shift shock - certainly all the Bimmers I've driven do that.

One exception I found was with Mercs; they of course do design and build their own gearboxes in-house; all of the new ones I've driven lack the smoothness of the ZF autos in the BMW's when driven under kickdown/full power/acceleration mode; But with a faster, albeit jerkier change. Take ones pick I guess.

Personally I find with a combination of using either paddles, or the sequential mode of the floor shifter in combination with left foot braking, one can get a great deal of control and satisfaction when pushing on in ones driving during more, er, enthusiastic moments. True, not quite as satsifying as heel and toeing manual changes in a true manual, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Fully robotised SMG manuals, such as the BMW box, with electronics/hydraulics controlling an otherwise conventional manual gearbox, will have the fastest changes, and best performance, but usually they're not very smooth either; I've certainly read of a few BMW M5's being towed away after using the launch mode broke the transmission!

The best all-round auto/sequential robotised manual setup I have found is the Volkswagen DSG gearbox used in the Golf GIT, the new Jetta, and of course in the Bugatti Veyron (not likely to ever get to drive one of those!) when performance is the issue, combined with smoothness.

However a 'conventional' epicyclic gearbox with torque convertor as used in the IS250 is still the best compromise if smoothness, coupled with some manual control is the desired outcome, which I guess is where Lexus are coming from, i.e. the IS250 is a luxury vehicle with a sports feel/driving balance.

Best

John..

this is concerning the is350, not the 250. the 250 comes in manual whereas the 350 does not. also, no matter what speed youre going with the 350, the shift lag is still present and noticeable.
Old 02-18-06, 01:27 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x2mkx
this is concerning the is350, not the 250. the 250 comes in manual whereas the 350 does not. also, no matter what speed youre going with the 350, the shift lag is still present and noticeable.
Thanks...
Old 02-18-06, 08:59 PM
CarFan
Driver School Candidate

X2mkx said:
Apologies for the 'error'. However, I'm in Australia; here we so far only get the IS250, the IS350 is rumoured to be coming later in the year. The IS250 is marketed here in three specification levels; the base and sports model are available as standard with manual transmission, or auto; the top model, the Sports Luxury, which is the model I drove, comes only with the auto.

I am under the understanding that both IS250 & IS350 use the same Aisin sourced 6 speed auto, which is why I commented upon my personal impressions.

However I would accept that given the greater power of the IS350 engine, the ECU programing could be different. As far as trying to compare lag between say an BMW 3 series, with an ZF auto, and an Lexus IS250/350 with the Aisin auto, IMHO if you want to compare as accurately as possible, you would need identical road and driving conditions, and a stop-watch to accurately compare; all else is purely subjective IMHO.

As I say, the lag between the many BMW's and the one Lexus auto I have driven seems subjectively the same; but of course that's just an impression - side by side comparos with a stopwatch may reveal a different result - but again the only way I can think of to get an accurate and fair picture - not one based on different road and traffic conditions, different accelerator positions (with electronic throttle control, the ECU programing/response will be different) and different driver opinions, is to accurately measure it (the lag).

Just my 2c worth..and IMHO of course...

Best

John...