IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shift Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 08:57 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Lag?

is it just me...or is there a considerable amount of lag when shifting in sports shift (is350). the shift is pretty consistent it seems, so i figure it shouldnt be too much of a problem if i just time myself right. but i ve noticed that at higher gears (maybe 4+) the lag dissappears...anyone else notice this?
Old 02-17-06, 09:01 AM
RA010324
Driver

yeah, I definitely noticed it when I test drove one......there was considerable lag......worse than any of the other paddle shifter cars I test drove (including Audi, BMW, and even the Dodge Charger!!!)........hence the reason why I ended up with the IS250 with a manual
Old 02-17-06, 09:05 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

You'll notice that if you're at neutral throttle, shifts are pretty much instant, whereas if you've got your foot to the floor there's "lag".

I don't have a car to play with, but I suspect that throttle lifts between shifts might speed things up (pretend you're driving a stick).
Old 02-17-06, 09:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

which lag, the mechanical lag of the actual shift of the tranny or the electronic lag from pushing the paddle to the actual shift
Old 02-17-06, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a one second lag with the paddle shifter which is a little annoying. I haven't tried the neutral throttle thing so that's the first thing I'll try today...
Old 02-17-06, 09:08 AM
x2mkx
Driver

i thought the same thing so tried doing that as well...but this is what happened when i tried: i would let off the gas right before shifting but the car still wouldnt shift instantly, instead it would shift after i reapplied the gas for a second or two...strange, but it could just be my driving...still getting used to the car.
Old 02-17-06, 09:18 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x2mkx
i thought the same thing so tried doing that as well...but this is what happened when i tried: i would let off the gas right before shifting but the car still wouldnt shift instantly, instead it would shift after i reapplied the gas for a second or two...strange, but it could just be my driving...still getting used to the car.
Odd. The car I test drove, I found that, at neutral throttle anyway (i.e. cruising) it would shift right away. The ECU is of course aware of throttle position, so it may, knowing you had your foot buried right before you lifted, be holding off on the shift on purpose.

It's tough without a clutch. Your average shift in regular driving takes at least a second, but because you're DOING something in that second, you really don't take much notice of the time passing. With the paddles, I doubt the time taken between clicking the lever and the car deciding to execute the shift is much longer than that, but because it seems like nothing is happening, you take instant notice of the "lag".
Old 02-17-06, 09:19 AM
mike714
Rookie

You're probably right. I had an Acura with sport shift and it was the same way. Lifting off the gas before/during a shift would confuse it. It was best to just keep your right foot steady and let the computer do its thing.
Old 02-17-06, 09:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when i test drove the 350 i didnt let off the gas when shifting, just kept it down, seemed quick to me
Old 02-17-06, 09:57 AM
x2mkx
Driver

it seems pretty bad to me...or maybe im just overthinking it...i think the lag is about .5-1 seconds...thats an approximation not an exact measurement. welli gues im not the only one who is experiencing this
Old 02-17-06, 10:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

it seems pretty bad to me...or maybe im just overthinking it...i think the lag is about .5-1 seconds...thats an approximation not an exact measurement. welli gues im not the only one who is experiencing this
Well, it is an automatic remember. There's no way it's going to be as fast as a DSG/SMG or even a manual. Although the new Jag apparently has a true auto that's really very very good....
Old 02-17-06, 10:06 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Well, it is an automatic remember. There's no way it's going to be as fast as a DSG/SMG or even a manual. Although the new Jag apparently has a true auto that's really very very good....
Dead on Heffergm! The new Jag XK's are 400ms faster than any current autoshift pkg.
Old 02-17-06, 10:13 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

According to Lexus (Bob Carter), it's the fastest shifting manumatic in the world, faster than the Ferrari. That may be true, it does change gears fast once it decides to.
Old 02-17-06, 10:28 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
According to Lexus (Bob Carter), it's the fastest shifting manumatic in the world, faster than the Ferrari. That may be true, it does change gears fast once it decides to.
Ummm... the Ferrari isn't a manumatic. It's a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch, ala SMG, etc. And without trying to disparage the Lexus gearbox (because it is good for an auto), it doesn't hold a candle to the Ferrari sequential manual.... Bob should go drive a Ferrari rather than quote shift times, because they really don't mean much if the driver doesn't have absolute control over when they happen.
Old 02-17-06, 10:40 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Well at least this car can shift from 6 to 2 gear in a instant!

Quick Reply: Shift Lag?