IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VSC - Check Engine: Excessive gas in Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 07:36 AM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is true, that short trips contribute to the problem, then I am in big trouble. My drive to the satellite hospital is about 1.5 miles!
Old 02-25-06, 07:57 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Interesting theory... I know some others have had this problem. Care to chime in on your driving habits? Lots of short trips?
Old 02-25-06, 11:19 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmm, this could be interesting.

My drive to the office is only 2 miles from my house. I do alot of very short trips.
Old 02-25-06, 11:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Perhaps that explains why it appears to affect more IS250s (which are direct injection only) than IS350s (which use both port injection and direct injection). FWIW, I do lots of short trips on my IS350, and haven't had this problem.
Old 02-25-06, 11:46 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
FWIW, I do lots of short trips on my IS350, and haven't had this problem.
ditto. i live less than 2 miles from work/school.
Old 02-25-06, 11:56 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by dang_is250
Dealer said that because the car is a direct fuel injected vehicle, fuel builds up in the oil over time. Usually, the fuel will burn when the car is at a nice operating temperature. However, if you take a lot of short trips and don't let the car reach operating temp. before shutting off the engine, fuel will build up. When the car detects fuel in the oil, it throws the CEL light. This explanation made sense to me. For the last month I have been taking many short trips as I drive 5 mi. each way to the bus stop to get to work in 10 degree CO weather. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody else who has been having this problem has been taking short trips in their IS.
I doubt there is a sensor to verify too much fuel is in the oil. The CEL code that some people are popping is probably the misfire code in which case the dealer may think it would be prudent to change the oil in case excess fuel did not burn out of the combustion chamber and may have migrated to the oil. I have not heard of this problem with the 3.5L Avalon direct injection V6s and fuel will enter the combustion chamber regardless of whether it is directly injected or port injected so I don't see how it can be a direct injection related problem. Again, someone here will have to prove to me that there is a computer code that tells a tech there is too much fuel in the oil. I am betting it is just a misfire code.

Last edited by Scotty99; 02-25-06 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 12:37 PM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

I too doubt there is a sensor that checks to see if there is too much fuel in the oil. Anyways, I thought I'd include the comments that were on the invoice. "Excessive fuel odor in oil 151011 T1=15 T2=99 50 replaced engine oil and filter advise customer to drive less short trips need to allow engine to get to full operating temp before shutting off." Hopefully, the code doesn't flash again. I agree, there needs to be a fix for this.
Old 02-25-06, 09:28 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Just to confirm has ANYONE had this problem with a 350? Also, can someone please link the original post here, just so we can all stay on top of it? Hope Lex finds a fix!
Old 02-25-06, 10:49 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I also have less than a 5 minute commute, but I will say that it's a "spriited" drive, and my car gets to operating temp every time.
Old 02-25-06, 11:24 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I also have less than a 5 minute commute, but I will say that it's a "spriited" drive, and my car gets to operating temp every time.
Careful not to make it TOO spirited until the temp guage gets above the C.
Old 02-26-06, 04:16 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Just to confirm has ANYONE had this problem with a 350? Also, can someone please link the original post here, just so we can all stay on top of it? Hope Lex finds a fix!
There's at least one thread I've seen with a 350 experiencing the same problem.
Old 02-26-06, 10:39 AM
Dr C
Driver

After owning 36 cars, I have never had to either avoid short trips, or purposely drive out of my way so as to go a longer distance. I have to think that there is a solution to this problem other than telling me to drive further. I did not have to worry about short trips in my Audi A4, Audi S4, or BMW . Surely I don't have to do it now.

Not incidentially, I have though since I bought my 250 AWD that the idle is higher when cold than it needs to be and the fast idle is maintained longer than it needs to be. I suspect that this is the problem and not my driving on short trips. I like being able to get to the Hospital in 5 minutes so I don't want to have to give it up. I'll change cars first!
Old 02-26-06, 11:02 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dr C
After owning 36 cars, I have never had to either avoid short trips, or purposely drive out of my way so as to go a longer distance. I have to think that there is a solution to this problem other than telling me to drive further. I did not have to worry about short trips in my Audi A4, Audi S4, or BMW . Surely I don't have to do it now.

Not incidentially, I have though since I bought my 250 AWD that the idle is higher when cold than it needs to be and the fast idle is maintained longer than it needs to be. I suspect that this is the problem and not my driving on short trips. I like being able to get to the Hospital in 5 minutes so I don't want to have to give it up. I'll change cars first!
The fast idle being higher or lasting longer than you're used to should make absolutely no difference. If anything, it would be a symptom of a problem, not the cause, though I don't think it's either.

There's obviously a software issue, though whether or not it's caused by an actually mechanical problem is going to have to left to Lexus to determine.
Old 02-26-06, 11:50 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dr C

I'm going to try to pay attention to my idle in the cold as well vs. when the engine heats up, any idea how much higher your idle revs in the cold?
Old 02-26-06, 11:57 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
I'm going to try to pay attention to my idle in the cold as well vs. when the engine heats up, any idea how much higher your idle revs in the cold?
The idle is ALWAYS higher on a cold start. It's SUPPOSED to be. It has NOTHING to do with this problem.

Quick Reply: VSC - Check Engine: Excessive gas in Oil???