IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats under your plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 07:10 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats under your plate?

When putting on my rear license plate I found what I would call some foam tape stuck on the car...presumably to protect the car from the plate screws. Seems kind of cheezy...My assumption is that it something the dealer put on (Lexus of Portland) when putting on their frame with their paper "Lexus of Portland" plate shaped ad.

Has anybody else seen these foam pads? I really hate dealer ads on cars whether its is a sticker, license plate frame, or smothing more disgusting like a screwed on ad.f
Old 02-18-06, 09:19 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the foam is probably there to protect the car from the screws, either that or to keep the plate from rattling when u shut the trunk, or if u have a loud bass system in ur trunk xP, but i doubt the dealer would think that far ahead lol
Old 02-18-06, 09:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

maybe to prevent a license plate from direct contact with the paint which will scratch paint
Old 02-19-06, 05:29 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
When putting on my rear license plate I found what I would call some foam tape stuck on the car...presumably to protect the car from the plate screws. Seems kind of cheezy...My assumption is that it something the dealer put on (Lexus of Portland) when putting on their frame with their paper "Lexus of Portland" plate shaped ad.

Has anybody else seen these foam pads? I really hate dealer ads on cars whether its is a sticker, license plate frame, or smothing more disgusting like a screwed on ad.f
it's for the protection of the car's finish from the plate and screw, as well as dampening vibration. I put additional ones near the bottom edge of the plate to keep the plate completely off the car.
Old 02-19-06, 07:00 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

I just put our plates on yesterday. Had the same foam stuff you describe. Don't use the lower screws and nuts. If you look at the plate frame there are little tabs on the lower portion that hold the bottom of the plate on. If you use the supplied screws and nuts the will dig into the paint. Front is not and issue.
Old 02-19-06, 01:39 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
I just put our plates on yesterday. Had the same foam stuff you describe. Don't use the lower screws and nuts. If you look at the plate frame there are little tabs on the lower portion that hold the bottom of the plate on. If you use the supplied screws and nuts the will dig into the paint. Front is not and issue.
Interesting that this comes up today as I just put my new plates on last night!

I don't have any foam stuff..... in fact, I have nothing.

Did you get the 'plate frames' you described with your car?

Obviously I didn't... and the front plate just hangs down and the rear is helplessly against the painted body of the car.

Thanks in advance,

TripleL
Old 02-19-06, 01:58 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plate frames did come with the car (with the dealer name on them). My guess is that the dealer did put the foam there (assuming SilverBolt got his at Lexus of Portland?).

The front isn't a big deal as the Lexus mouning bracket protects the car. I will replace the 'Lexus of Porltand' frame with a better quality frame that has something like little rubber bumpers to keep the plate away from the car
Old 02-19-06, 02:13 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The plate frames did come with the car (with the dealer name on them). My guess is that the dealer did put the foam there (assuming SilverBolt got his at Lexus of Portland?).

The front isn't a big deal as the Lexus mouning bracket protects the car. I will replace the 'Lexus of Porltand' frame with a better quality frame that has something like little rubber bumpers to keep the plate away from the car
Very true about the front plate. I like your idea of geting a better quality aftermarket one for the rear especially the little rubber bumper part, I'm going to do the same

Thanks!
Old 02-19-06, 04:29 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Same thing from Lexus of Portland. I went to take of the front plate period (I’ve never had a front plate on any cars) and the paint on the front bumper is al scratched from the nuts and bolts they used. So, I guess I have to have a front plate now.