IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Park Assist worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 08:46 AM
artie00
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ClubLexus Members are great!! Thanks for all the answers. Well I used to live in SF but not anymore and I don't really parallel park anymore where I live. But for the occasional time that I do visit SF I know I'll be cursing myself for not having Park Assist. I'll probably have to wait a few more months for a car with Park Assist to come in as well. So the decision is whether to wait or ****** up this car without the Park Assist. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-20-06, 08:49 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
How do you guys trust your PA? I don't trust it at all when it comes to another car or wall. Guess I will have to experiment with it more.
PA only works under 6 mph. Just as you would not rely on the backup camera completely for reversing, use your eyes first to get to the target, and then use PA or camera as an adjunct where your eyes are not able to tell.
Old 02-20-06, 09:02 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

To the person who had difficulty getting the front sensors to go off during the test drive, realize that the front sensors are only on the corners of the car, not on the face of the front bumper. I've only had my front sensors go off when approaching an obstruction at an angle.

Since I'm the type of person who will hike 10 minutes to park far away from other cars, I'm not the best person to judge the usefulness of this feature. I rate it as a cool toy, but certainly not a must-have for me.

One negative that I haven't seen mentioned is that I think the look of the sensors on the bumper are ugly. (Ditto the cutouts for the towing eyelets, but there's nothing you can do about those)
Old 02-20-06, 09:20 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

For $500, it falls into the WHY NOT category. If they prevent ONE incident, its paid for itself.
Old 02-20-06, 09:47 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artie00
I'm kinda on the fence as to whether I want Park Assist. There's an IS350 with the Sport Pkg, Nav, ML reserved for me without Park Assist coming in a few days. I think the backup camera feature will help me in parallel parking on its own. Any input from Park Assist and non-Park Assist owners would be helpful. Thanks.
The park assist is great for me. My garage is a tight fit, so I know that when the PA beeps, I can close the garage door w/o hitting the trunk. I just driven in slowly, here the beeps and all done. No worrying as to whether I'm in far enough!
Old 02-20-06, 11:11 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had determined that the car I ordered would have it ALL so I HAD to order it. Ha! All that said, I really have only used it while parking in my garage and without FRONT sensors (not just the corner ones) I don't need it at all. I would have glady paid a little bit more for the two additional sensors! We'll see whether it pays for itself down the road or not. If it saves this old man (me) one scratch or bruise it will have been worth it.

BUT, as I show the car off to the neighbors I can say that "Yes, it is loaded, see my park assist?".
Old 03-22-06, 07:02 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

i dont have it and i dont think its worth it,i think that as long as i have the back up camera im all good and i shouldnt have any problems, you dont need it just my opinion
Old 03-22-06, 07:16 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by artie00
I'm kinda on the fence as to whether I want Park Assist. There's an IS350 with the Sport Pkg, Nav, ML reserved for me without Park Assist coming in a few days. I think the backup camera feature will help me in parallel parking on its own. Any input from Park Assist and non-Park Assist owners would be helpful. Thanks.
I don't *need* parking assist, but I figured its a cool feature to have, especially since the GF will also be driving the car. If' I'm already 40k deep in the car, whats $500 for an extra, potentially useful, feature which rounds out the tech. feel of the car?
Old 03-22-06, 07:33 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Was worth it for me. I'm terrible at knowing where the corners of my car are, esp the first few weeks. I have peace of mind. I am happy
Old 03-22-06, 08:06 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
For $500, it falls into the WHY NOT category. If they prevent ONE incident, its paid for itself.
Totally agree. I'm not big on the toys that cost a couple G's, but for $500, why not? I actually find it more useful than i initially would expect.
Old 03-22-06, 08:21 PM
artie00
Rookie

Thanks for all the opinions guys. Though an IS350 hasn't shown up with Park Assist yet at any dealership near my area, I'd probably be willing to get one without Park Assist. I'd have to wait a few more months for one with Park Assist and it's just killing me reading all of the posts of those who are enjoying their new IS's.
Old 03-22-06, 08:55 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

I have PA and I love it
Old 03-22-06, 08:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
If' I'm already 40k deep in the car, whats $500 for an extra, potentially useful, feature which rounds out the tech. feel of the car?
Well because some people here will tell you that another $500 on top of the $40,000 is just too much for them; crosses the line. $40,000 is affordable; $40,500 is unaffordable.
Old 03-22-06, 09:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Well because some people here will tell you that another $500 on top of the $40,000 is just too much for them; crosses the line. $40,000 is affordable; $40,500 is unaffordable.
That's just CRAZY TALK!!!
Old 03-22-06, 09:35 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

I don't think it's necessary. It is very easy to tell distances with the backup camera and I trust myself judging where the front of the car is.

IMO...nice feature...but I'm not sure if I'd ever use it.

Quick Reply: Is Park Assist worth it?