IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clicking Noise coming from Valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 10:41 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise coming from Valves

I was trying to disable the DRL's yesterday, when I noticed how loud the valves are. A clicking noise, as when valves need adjustment. It was pretty loud.

I am wondering if anyone has noticed the same? I am tempted to go to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 02-20-06, 10:48 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any chance it might be the fuel injectors?

I found this post from an earlier thread which was a response to "why are the fuel injectors so noisy?".....

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's a normal item with Direct Injection technology. The D4 in the 2GR-FSE IS350 engine puts out 1600 psi of fuel pressure. There's a reason for the clicking...annoying or not, that's how D4 technology works.
Old 02-20-06, 10:57 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Pretty sure it's injector noise you are hearing. Ours is fairly loud as well.
Old 02-20-06, 01:07 PM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

As are mine...they definitely have a pretty audible tick/click/whatever to them.

lint
Old 02-20-06, 01:56 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Remember this car has multi injection, that means we have two fuel injectors per cylinder. So we will hear alot of ticking,ticking,ticking,ticking!!!
Old 02-20-06, 02:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by accelerate
Remember this car has multi injection, that means we have two fuel injectors per cylinder. So we will hear alot of ticking,ticking,ticking,ticking!!!
The IS350 does, the IS250 is direct injection only. (Not sure which car the OP has)
Old 02-20-06, 02:58 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same clicking - ticking. It's pretty annoying sometimes when your not moving and it's real quiet around you.
Old 02-20-06, 03:19 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clicking/Ticking noise is fairly well documented with DFI-based engines. I can't hear it when I'm in the cabin, not moving, engine idle and I have the 2.5L engine. Only when I'm standing outside next to the vehicle.

It kind of reminds me of a diesel engine.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-20-06, 07:51 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Yeah, I have the ticking noise too. I thinks it's normal. Dunno though.
Old 02-20-06, 08:05 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

After diggin, yeah it seem that the culprit are the direct injectors.
When I first turn the car on, the ticking is not there, I am assuming this is cuz the port fuel injectors are the only ones working. As the car warms up, the clicking comes on...I take it this is when the direct injectors come on-line.
Old 02-21-06, 12:38 AM
doubleshot
Driver School Candidate

and i thought i was the only one. I was going to complain when i went in for my first service... seems like it is normal though =/
Old 02-21-06, 04:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default At the back of the engine near the firewall...

slightly to the left of center you will see the step up mechanical fuel pump. That is the source of the clicking. That is why everyone will hear clicking if they pop the hood and listen. The fuel pump steps up the fuel pressure from 60PSI to 1850 PSI. This is what enables the direct fuel injectors to atomize the fuel quickly for a complete burn and put it inside the top of the cylinder instead of outside and pulled in by suction through the intake valves. It also allows for more exotic effects of the Valve timing too. The intake and exhaust valves have a 45 degree range of advance/retard and can run with overlap for high performance. If you had a hose of water putting out 1850 PSI you could cut through metal. The valves have zero lash and are self adjusting so you won't ever hear any valve clatter. If you could hear the injectors it would probably be a hissing sound. The sound of the fuel pump indicates that you have one of the most advanced engine designs in the world. If you don't hear it then you're driving an older generation......so point it out proudly next time someone says, "What's that clicking sound?"

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-21-06 at 04:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cfauvel (07-08-21)
Old 02-21-06, 04:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
slightly to the left of center you will see the step up mechanical fuel pump. That is the source of the clicking. That is why everyone will hear clicking if they pop the hood and listen. The fuel pump steps up the fuel pressure from 60PSI to 1850 PSI. This is what enables the direct fuel injectors to atomize the fuel quickly for a complete burn and put it inside the top of the cylinder instead of outside and pulled in by suction through the intake valves. It also allows for more exotic effects of the Valve timing too. The intake and exhaust valves have a 45 degree range of advance/retard and can run with overlap for high performance. If you had a hose of water putting out 1850 PSI you could cut through metal. The valves have zero lash and are self adjusting so you won't ever hear any valve clatter. If you could hear the injectors it would probably be a hissing sound. The sound of the fuel pump indicates that you have one of the most advanced engine designs in the world. If you don't hear it then you're driving and older generation......so point it out proudly next time someone says, "What's that clicking sound?"

Rock
Thanks Rock!!

I've not heard it put that way before, it's very clear and will use it for sure

Much appreciated,

TripleL
Old 02-21-06, 08:21 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
The sound of the fuel pump indicates that you have one of the most advanced engine designs in the world. If you don't hear it then you're driving an older generation......so point it out proudly next time someone says, "What's that clicking sound?"
I have a better way of showing them that I am driving one of the most advanced engine designs in the world. I explain that the engine has a mere 3.5 liters, then I drop the hammer and show them my taillights. It's particularly convincing way of humbling (and educating) those friends who suffer from a V8 superiority complex.

By the way, thanks for your technical insights in this and other threads.
Old 02-21-06, 06:55 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meteoro
I was trying to disable the DRL's yesterday...
I know it's off topic, but since you mentioned it...were you successful in disabling the DRL's? If so, could you share how?

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise coming from Valves