IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sound Proofing the IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 09:12 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Proofing the IS

Someone asked me on the thread about the XM radio install (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202005) about providing more details on soundproofing the IS car. I unfortunately have no other images to show other than what I posted in the XM thread, however, I do have more written details.

My source for which trim to remove came from the Lexus on-line manuals that you can purchase at http://techinfo.lexus.com

The sources for what I used are two. The first is B-Quiet ( http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html )where I bought B-quiet ultimate (it doesn't smell as stinky as Dynamat). I used this primarily on the roof followed by foam (described below) and on the rear seat area and trunk. I did purchase their wooden roller to flatten out large stretches.

On the floor and sides of the tranny I used mass loaded vinyl (MLV) from http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm. In some areas I double and triple placed it (such as the front footwells). The more layers you add the sound decreases almost geometrically. For example, the stock cars have styrofoam in the front footwells covered by 1/2" felt padding beneath the carpet. I removed the styrofoam and recontoured the area with, as I said, multiple layers of MLV followed by felt. On floor areas, no adhesive is needed as the foam backing provides plenty of grip. On more vertical surfaces, I did apply the MLV with 3M spray adhesive. The new floor poadding is not only quieter, but is softer and removes floor transmitted vibrations to your feet.

As for the foam layers, I used either 1/8" or 1/2" depending on the location as seen on http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html The foam with adhesive as this simplies installation. The foam layer went on top of the B-quiet ultimate material. Again, this was used mostly in the headliner and rear seat areas, which includes the wheel well humps.

I also sprayed sound dampening (rubberized material Dupli-Color; http://www.duplicolor.com/ ) in the front wheel wells---while avoiding brakes, shocks, etc. This coating helps to dampen vibrations from the plastic liners. I used about 1 can per wheel well in multiple layers.

Overall, I've probably added about 100 lbs of dampening (a trivial difference in the power to wt ratio in the IS 350). It is laborious and tiring; removing trim, seats, finding clips that fly off into some dark recess, knowing the order of which trim to remove first, etc. The bottom line though is that it was worth it.

My wife was gone for the weekend and I worked unimpeded. Tonight I picked her up in the car (everything put back together), and she immediately said, 'what did you do, this car is so quiet?' When you get in the car, it is very quiet, you can almost feel it. After we'd driven for a while she said it was as quiet as our friend's S-class MB. I think this is true. The car I had before this IS 350 was a VW Phaeton, which was noticeably quieter than our friend's S-class. The new Falken ST-115 tires I put on also helped to reduce road noise (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202008).

I've done this soundproofing before with other cars and just doing the headliner works wonderss. Although I must tell you that I inactivate sunroofs----the glass is a huge sound reflector of engine noise directed to your ears----and I covered it with two layers of foam (in between which I sandwich my toll road transponder) that is removeable and placed between the sunroof and the manually sliding cover.
Old 02-20-06, 09:15 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

oh wow! lol
Old 02-20-06, 09:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the cabin to be as quiet as possible too, but can you hear ambulances and police sirens?!?

I think the IS cabin is quiet enough, but is actually "noisy" for Lexus standards. If it floats your boat, then I give you props for your hard work and effort. Show some pics!
Old 02-20-06, 09:20 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy smokes! Nice job! So how much to do my car?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-21-06, 12:02 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post!

Later this spring when I plan on installing new speakers and amplifiers to my IS I plan on doing major sound proofing also. I am going to use Stinger RoadKill products. I will use the Roadkill Expert, simular to your B-quite, on the doors and interior panels. The RoadKill carpet pad will go underneath the carpet. I have a close friend that is a Stinger dealer and I can buy the products from him at dealer cost plus shipping. I also plan on using materials like the MLV mentioned above and foamed sealed lead sheets to further decrease the outside noise levels.
Old 02-21-06, 12:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW!! Thats nice. Definitely looks like a lot of work. Your car must be a rolling tomb. I dont mind to move in silence as well. Very comfortable.
Old 02-21-06, 06:36 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

You sound like an anti-noise fanatic. Is this noise abatement program a fetish or are you some kind of hard core audiphile that has some Dynaudio components waiting in the wings.
Old 02-22-06, 06:39 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

Wow! How much did all this cost you? How much labor did you put into it? Did you remove the seats and such or just worked around them?

I have wanted to do something like this since I bought the car.
Old 02-22-06, 07:17 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you remove the upper console lights? I tried to remove the dome lights and failed =(
Old 02-22-06, 09:32 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

interestingly many criticize the IS for being too quiet compared to the other sports sedans/coupes.
Old 02-22-06, 09:35 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

The IS, for me, is already too quiet. The last thing I want is to feel more isolated from the road. But if you feel the need, go for it.
Old 02-22-06, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
The IS, for me, is already too quiet. The last thing I want is to feel more isolated from the road. But if you feel the need, go for it.
same here, currenly drive a lowered prelude with 215/35/18 so noise doesnt bother me, IS felt super quiet when i test drove it
Old 02-22-06, 10:14 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
same here, currenly drive a lowered prelude with 215/35/18 so noise doesnt bother me, IS felt super quiet when i test drove it
Yeah... compared to my WRX, the IS was silent. The S2000 obviously bears no comparison in the noise department
Old 02-22-06, 10:20 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

I came from an 05' RL and the IS350 is noiser than the RL. I did expect this seeing as how the RL is supposed to be a luxury car and the IS is supposed to be a sportier car. I would personally like it a quieter though.
Old 02-22-06, 01:48 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

several questions I'll try to answer.

1. yes, old dedicated audiophile, so soundproofing sorta in my blood. also my last car was a phaeton that makes MB sound loud.

2. I bought about 12' of each material; overall around 300 hundred (but I have some left over).

3. Time: around 12 to 14 hrs (and hour or so was just for the XM).

4. I removed all rear seats. The Lexus instructions for the front seats said to disconnect the battery to avoid setting off the airbags. I did not wish to disconnect the battery, so I move the front seats back and forth to maximize access. I did remove both upper light consoles and the handles from the headliner, as well as some of the center console.

5. Light consoles removal. Front: open sunglass holder. Flip two tabs inside to reveal two screws; remove screws. Next, using a clip removal tool (or your sore fingers) pop the edge closest to the middle of the car (the edge furthest from the front windshield) off its two clips and slide off the front hindges. Rear: no screws, just the same two clips along the rear edge closest to the rear window.

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing the IS