IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MB C350 vs IS350....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 08:16 AM
Seattle350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB C350 vs IS350....

A friend of mine delibrated between the IS350; MB C350 and 330 - eventually he was persuaded by the heavy discount on the MB - anyway, I drove the car for a couple hrs yesterday - and although it didn't have some of the cool gadgets (BT; Back-up camera; AFS), I think it is a formidable competitor to the IS350.
The number 1+++ is the 6 speed stick...
Although it had the sport package, body roll felt significantly higher than my IS (Sport). Acceleration was right up there, the MB had 220 miles, so I didn't punch it full, but the butt dyno says it will be abt a car length or so behind the IS from 0-60.
Styling wise, the MB does look dated...
Given the above choices, I will still stick with the IS, but I will take the MB over the Bimmer -I just can't stand the dash of the 330...
My .02c...
Old 02-21-06, 08:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the comparison. This may help some people out there.

Design and technology props do go to the IS, but performance and handling will always end up with someone else (BMW far more than MB)...
Old 02-21-06, 08:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the interior of the new 3 is terrible, felt like i went back in time and doesnt look modern or expensive at all. The C class is going to get redesigned soon I hear
Old 02-21-06, 08:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Recent MB models have had atrocious reliability and repair records. At one point I had my eye on the CLK500 convertible, so I started doing some reading in some MB owner forums. On the very first page I saw postings from two people that required replacement transmissions on new (<6000 mi) cars. Then I checked the Consumer Reports auto issue, and was dismayed to see scores that made Detroit look good. I was driving an expensive-to-maintain Audi at the time, and decided not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

One of the things that sold me on the IS, and something that is rarely mentioned in reviews, is Toyota's legendary reliability.
Old 02-21-06, 10:06 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Recent MB models have had atrocious reliability and repair records. At one point I had my eye on the CLK500 convertible, so I started doing some reading in some MB owner forums. On the very first page I saw postings from two people that required replacement transmissions on new (<6000 mi) cars. Then I checked the Consumer Reports auto issue, and was dismayed to see scores that made Detroit look good. I was driving an expensive-to-maintain Audi at the time, and decided not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

One of the things that sold me on the IS, and something that is rarely mentioned in reviews, is Toyota's legendary reliability.
Guess thats what happens when they put Chrysler transmissions in Mercedes. Seriously, I love the styling of the C class and 3 series but I could never get over the notorious service history of these cars.
Old 02-21-06, 10:15 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I couldn't agree more with the comments on reliability and the BMW interior (very blah, IMO). Who cares about the "German engineering" pedigree or how great it handles if it's always going to be in the shop!
Old 02-21-06, 01:41 PM
mogrefy
Driver School Candidate

I just came to the realization that I need to get the IS350 on Sunday. It was after test driving a 330i automatic (no manual on any lots here) and then immediately going to test the IS350. I test drove the 330i BEFORE the IS350 and as I was walking away from the dealer it just didn't feel like $40,000 was worth what I had just experienced.

The interior was nice, but not fantastic. There was no "WOW... I HAVE TO HAVE THIS" going through my head. It really felt like a lot of money was going toward that little badge. I won't claim to be a driving expert, I'm sure the BMW handles great (beyond what was felt in the test drive)... but for fun factor, every day driving, bang for buck, and pure luxury... the Lexus won my heart.

And yes, I got the "WOW, I JUST FELL IN LOVE... GIVE ME THIS NOW" feeling when I drove the IS350.
Old 02-21-06, 01:48 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered the MB330 prior to choosing the IS. In my opinion the car was simply boring and did nothing to make me want to drive it. Factor in the fact Sport pkg that is only rims and plastic -- no suspension, exhaust or engine upgrades are included in this package. To get a true Sport MB you need to pay for those 3 little initials ... AMG.
Old 02-21-06, 01:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mogrefy
And yes, I got the "WOW, I JUST FELL IN LOVE... GIVE ME THIS NOW" feeling when I drove the IS350.
good choice, now you wont be nickel and dimed to death by BMW. 330 has to break 40k to compete with just a plain base IS350

1500 for leather (wtf mate?)
500 for metallic paint
1300 for steptronic automatic
Old 02-21-06, 02:03 PM
hppygllmr
Driver School Candidate

Not related to the MB350 but... I traded in my 4 year old 3 Series for my IS. Yes, it had great handling. And, yes, I spent enough time in the shop with warranty issues. I've got over 700 miles on my new ride. I test drove the new 330i. As of right now...I made an AWESOME decision!!!
Old 02-21-06, 06:55 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I think the Merceds C350 is a very formidable competitor to the IS350 and would say that offering it with the new V-6 and the slick new manual from the SLK350 shows that Mercedes isn' t backing down in the sport sedan battle.

But, clearly the C-class is a dated design and Mercedes has cheapened its image and prestige by offering the downright weird C-coupe and low rent four-cylinder versions of the sedan. Of course, the reliability of the marque is suspect from top to bottom. And a quick tour of the Mercedes online forums with show that even hard core MB fans feel trepidation when that warranty period expires.

Car and Driver gave a lukewarm review to the C350 Sport that said the interior to closely resembled the sub-$30,000 versions of the C-class to justify what Mercedes was asking for the car, which was a loaded model nearing $50,000 MSRP.

Personally, I wish that Mercedes wouldn't have pulled the plug on the wagon in the States because a manual in a C350 wagon, IMO, is the kind of vehicle that I always had hoped Lexus would have evolved the Sportcross into.
Old 02-21-06, 07:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It took MB almost to the end of the life cycle of the current C-class to get the correct wheels and lower suspension setup...(I owned an 01 C320 an the front wheel gap was freakin huge).
I think the C350 SS looks great and has good performance, prestige.

important points:
MB doesn't offer any free service like they used to (4 years 50k miles)
....as mentioned above, completely revised car is due in 07 as a 08 model.
reliability IS an issue....but I didn't mind driving the ML320 while my C320 was in the shop....in fact, I took advantage and took several roaptrips in the free rentals
Old 02-21-06, 08:10 PM
Langdell
Driver

I started shopping for a new car only because my former car (which I otherwise loved) suddenly developed reliability issues. With reliability on my mind, Lexus quickly jumped to the top of the prospect list, and when I discovered the existence of the new IS350, it was pretty much over. But the MB C350 would probably have been in the running for me if not for MB's recent dismal reliability ratings. (In one article I read, an MB representative actually made the excuse that it wasn't that MB cars were getting worse, it was that Japanese cars were getting better, raising the average. He might has well have said, "Now, if you compare our current cars to a Model T . . . .")

The other strike against the C350 was its styling, which is both bland and obsolescent. I don't want to buy a brand new car today that is going to instantly look old next year when a redesigned model comes out. (As for the new BMW 3-Series, to my eye, the exterior just looks goofy. Is it just me or does the new form of the BMW grille make it look the guy on the Pringle's can?)

I confess I did start checking out the online inventories of the local MB and BMW dealers during the long weeks of waiting to get my hands on an IS350. But I am so glad I waited. I can't imagine another car out there that so perfectly blends the sporty performance, luxury, technology, style, and (presumably) reliability that were all important to me.
Old 02-21-06, 08:23 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I've always liked BMW's exterior styling but hated the interiors... Now if we could only combine the handling of a BMW, the interior and reliability of a Lexus, and the power of a blown AMG motor, we'd have one sweet ride!
Old 02-21-06, 10:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon

...and believe it or not, the current C-Class is supposed to be the most reliable current (or recent) MB

Quick Reply: MB C350 vs IS350....