IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any suggestions on how I should deal with the service dept?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 08:36 AM
Revelation
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully all will be taken care of soon then. Yeah it was unfortunate in Mr. Kuni's passing, he was a great guy.

Couple of other things to "look" into as well - try turning off the VDIM or Trac Control to see if the programing of the system is the error. I've heard of this being the case with other manufacturers with the first generation model. Also a friend of mine that purchased a Mazda had a similar situation - his car would pull slightly and in turns he'd hear popping noises; turns out part of his front suspension was never tightened down at the factory. He'd actually driven in this car for 1 year before they finally figured out the problem.

It could be so many "little" things that may end up being the culprit - they SHOULD give you another loaner to drive until they truely do have it fixed or buy that one back and let you purchase another one.

Also, it's law in most states that every new vehicle be sold with a lemon law book. The general rule, I believe, is about 7 occasions that the problem cannot be fixed; that's when you can take legal action. I'm in no way suggesting this, because it's not one you actually take with the delearship, but with the manufacturer - it can be a long litigation.

I've seen "domestic" manufacturers take upwards of 6 months before things are completed, yet by law (in colorado) they have a max of 30 days to make a determination of what action they take and another 30 days to take action after the individual has filed a suit. If I remember correctly.

It's rare with new cars that this happens, I've never heard of it happening with Lexus and I only hope the manufacturer acts quickly to earn your business for years to come; if that's the course of action you take.
Old 02-23-06, 08:49 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revelation

Also, it's law in most states that every new vehicle be sold with a lemon law book. The general rule, I believe, is about 7 occasions that the problem cannot be fixed; that's when you can take legal action. .

Here in Ny it used to be after "3" attempts to fix the problem , lemon
law applies.. Not sure what it is nowadays..
Old 02-23-06, 08:53 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I just found this out about the NYS new car lemon law:

4) IF THE SAME PROBLEM CANNOT BE REPAIRED AFTER FOUR OR MORE ATTEMPTS; OR IF YOUR CAR IS OUT OF SERVICE TO REPAIR A PROBLEM FOR A TOTAL OF THIRTY DAYS DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD; OR IF THE MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT REFUSES TO REPAIR A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT OR CONDITION WITHIN TWENTY DAYS OF RECEIPT OF NOTICE SENT BY YOU TO THE MANUFACTURER BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED; THEN YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO EITHER A COMPARABLE CAR OR A REFUND OF YOUR PURCHASE PRICE, PLUS LICENSE AND REGISTRATION FEES, MINUS A MILEAGE ALLOWANCE ONLY IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN DRIVEN MORE THAN 12,000 MILES. SPECIAL NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MAY APPLY TO MOTOR HOMES.
Old 02-23-06, 09:49 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the Colorado Lemon Law!

I got a call from Jared (the service manager at Kuni). They told me what I had been telling them all along: the tires are the issue. They said that they've ordered 4 Bridgestone tires for me, but that the back two tires will take a 1-2 weeks to get to Kuni since they're backordered. They're driving my car back to my office right now so I can give them back the loaner.

I feel better about the situation. Of course there's no gaurentee this will fix the issue, but from what I've read it sounds like the tires have been the culprit in past situations.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-27-06, 08:03 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I'm very impressed with Kuni Lexus. I called them today and said if there's any way to put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S instead of the Bridgestone summer tires they ordered for me. Jared (the service manager) said he was gonna look into it to see what they could do, and sure enough I got a call from him about an hour later saying they have them ordered and they should be at the dealership at the end of the week.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will be the solution. I'm just happy they were able to work with me with the Michelins because I've read they're very good tires and also do decent in the snow, which is one thing I was worried about here in Denver.

I'll let you guys know if it fixes the veering issue.
Old 02-27-06, 09:20 AM
Mxboy271
Driver School Candidate

Default car pulling right.....

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I'm very impressed with Kuni Lexus. I called them today and said if there's any way to put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S instead of the Bridgestone summer tires they ordered for me. Jared (the service manager) said he was gonna look into it to see what they could do, and sure enough I got a call from him about an hour later saying they have them ordered and they should be at the dealership at the end of the week.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will be the solution. I'm just happy they were able to work with me with the Michelins because I've read they're very good tires and also do decent in the snow, which is one thing I was worried about here in Denver.

I'll let you guys know if it fixes the veering issue.
I took my car in for the 3rd time and they informed me on friday that I would be getting 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for my car. I hope this fixes it... by the way I was put in a 350 as a loaner and it drives straight no problem.

FYI..... when I talked to the tech about my car he said that they are getting some complaints about the 350 pulling right and that they are thinking the dunlops are probably the cause... not every car does this but the ones that do are on dunlops.
Old 02-27-06, 09:22 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by Mxboy271
I took my car in for the 3rd time and they informed me on friday that I would be getting 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for my car. I hope this fixes it... by the way I was put in a 350 as a loaner and it drives straight no problem.

FYI..... when I talked to the tech about my car he said that they are getting some complaints about the 350 pulling right and that they are thinking the dunlops are probably the cause... not every car does this but the ones that do are on dunlops.
I wouldn't doubt that for a second. It makes sense. I mean they've done all they can with alignment and angles and all that junk. The only other thing would be the tires.

That's cool that you're getting the same tires as I am. Do you have 17" or 18" wheels? I'm looking forward to getting the new Michelin Pilot Sports on my car. Not only because it should resolve my "veering to the right" issue, but also because I've heard it's a nice ride.
Old 02-27-06, 09:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

in earlier threads people ahve had alignment problems and later on getting new tires and the problem went away, very promising
Old 02-27-06, 11:26 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

OK.. i was having the same problems as Morrissey (veering to right)... the service consultant at the Kearny Mesa Dealership seemed very knowledgeable and made some recommendations that we later put into action: We got rid of the Dunlops, put on some Bridgestones (RA05A), added some camber adjustment parts from Lexus, did an alignment.

I had the chance to test the vehicle this past weekend for about 200 miles - car no longer veers to the right. Hopefully you guys have similar results.
Old 02-27-06, 11:29 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I never liked Dunlop tires anyway
Old 02-27-06, 08:11 PM
jaypeeaf
Driver School Candidate

I bought an IS250 recently and noticed the same problem. Car pulled to the right constantly so I took it in and told them the alignment was off. They ran several tests on it and said the alignment was fine but that the tires were no good. Anyways, after several days of testing with new tires they finally went and bought Bridgestone Potenza REO50? tires and put them on. Now no more pulling to the right. Service was honestly pretty bad though and I was kinda pissed that I bought a brand new car that had problems already and they service department had it longer than I did. Plus, I'm slightly disturbed that certain tires will cause my car to pull to the right so now I have to buy a certain kind or i'm screwed? Didn't know Lexus made their cars so selective on parts...
Old 03-13-06, 07:14 AM
Morrissey
Driver

OK, well I FINALLY got my tires installed on Friday. Service was very polite and they made sure they got it done ASAP. I drove with the service manager just to make sure I was satisfied. The Michelins are very nice tires. I like the feel of the car much more than when I had the Dunlops on.

The car doesn't seem to pull to the right anymore. There are some roads where it'll still pull if I let go of the steering wheel. We did a test on a flat highway road in Denver and the car didn't pull. I've come to the conclusion that Denver roads have major crown so that explains why I still get pulling at times. It'll never pull if I have my hand on the wheel. Unlike before, I don't feel like I need to struggle with the wheel. So, overall I'm happy. I still feel like the car shouldn't pull in any occasion, but I'll just have to live with this occasional pull.
Old 03-13-06, 08:00 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
OK, well I FINALLY got my tires installed on Friday. Service was very polite and they made sure they got it done ASAP. I drove with the service manager just to make sure I was satisfied. The Michelins are very nice tires. I like the feel of the car much more than when I had the Dunlops on.

The car doesn't seem to pull to the right anymore. There are some roads where it'll still pull if I let go of the steering wheel. We did a test on a flat highway road in Denver and the car didn't pull. I've come to the conclusion that Denver roads have major crown so that explains why I still get pulling at times. It'll never pull if I have my hand on the wheel. Unlike before, I don't feel like I need to struggle with the wheel. So, overall I'm happy. I still feel like the car shouldn't pull in any occasion, but I'll just have to live with this occasional pull.
Sounds like new tires may have fixed your problem and that is certainly good news

Please let us know how it goes over the next few weeks.

TripleL
Old 03-13-06, 08:01 AM
Revelation
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear things worked out man!
Old 03-15-06, 09:53 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by TripleL
Sounds like new tires may have fixed your problem and that is certainly good news

Please let us know how it goes over the next few weeks.

TripleL
WORD OF NOTE: I'm not an **** person who picks on every little thing about the car, but I still feel like it's pulling. I'm sorry to keep pounding this issue but hear me out.

Does any IS owner have this problem. I'm going down a straight lane on the highway, take off my hands from the wheel, and notice an ever so slight tilt of the steering wheel to the right. This tells me something is wrong. Obviously the car is going to veer. Does anyone experience this?

I've got an alignment and new tires and it's still happening. I jsut don't want to sound like an ****, annoying customer is all. But at the same time this doesn't seem right to me!! I'd really appreciate if any of you can give me feedback. It'll give me leverage for the service dept.

The manager has been really nice and I have no problems with him. He's not gonna take a lunch tomorrow so that I can meet with him and drive a demo IS350 with 18" wheels to see if it does the same thing. He tells me it does and that with my new tires my car performs BETTER than the demo. So according to him this is normal. But it just doesn't seem normal to me.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on how I should deal with the service dept?