IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about tint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06 | 11:55 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Default Question about tint?

I am going to tint the front windshield of my new IS and was wondering if you have to take off the rear view mirror, or the piece that looks like the NAV antenna, or the rain sensor for the auto wipers (whatever that little black thing is)

Can you just tint around it?

Also dont flame me as the front windshield tint will be 50 or 60 %. I just want to cut down on heat and glare thats it.
Old 02-21-06 | 12:07 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I am going to tint the front windshield of my new IS and was wondering if you have to take off the rear view mirror, or the piece that looks like the NAV antenna, or the rain sensor for the auto wipers (whatever that little black thing is)

Can you just tint around it?

Also dont flame me as the front windshield tint will be 50 or 60 %. I just want to cut down on heat and glare thats it.
Do not remove them; you should tint AROUND the mirror and the NAV/rain sensor and stay off the black dots.
Old 02-21-06 | 12:46 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if this applies to the Lexus, but most auto-dimming mirrors have a light sensor on the back facing the windshield (it's what prevents them from dimming during the day). If so, you'll want to avoid tinting over that area too.
Old 02-21-06 | 01:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I am going to tint the front windshield of my new IS...
My opinion: don't do that. It's a bit outdated. Keep it clear, keep it clean.

Also, those black dots behind the rearview mirror will not make the tint adhere to the glass, thus causing bubbles. It doesn't look good. And it definately won't look good to tint around it; you'll have a strip of tint, but a "bowl" of black dots in the middle...
Old 02-21-06 | 10:55 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

with just a light tint, i suggest you just tint around the areas you mentioned however, DO tint over the little black dots as, with such a light tint you will not notice it. Reguarding the light sensors someone mentioned, i highly doubt such a light tint would affect it from working properly. My LS430 has 50%.
Old 02-22-06 | 12:44 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Why is tinting the front windshield outdated? Especially if it is 60% which is practically clear. Obviously you havent noticed that it keeps your car cooler, it reduces glare, it makes it easier to see the NAV at certain times of the day, and all of this with being practically clear? SOunds like all pluses to me sir.
Old 02-22-06 | 01:19 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

I havent had the the windsheild on my IS tinted yet, but i have on every other car i have ever owned. Keep in mind that even with 50% tint that at night, light will not reflect off of roads signs and marker lines. I would go ahead and tint it. With 50% its hardly noticeable and even though ive been pulled over for my other windows the cops dont notice either. I like the fact that i can drive with hardly and glare from the sun without having to put my sunglasses on and it keeps a bit more heat out. Oh, and as phil said dont tint over the black dots, it wont stick.
Old 02-22-06 | 01:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Obviously you havent noticed that it keeps your car cooler, it reduces glare, it makes it easier to see the NAV at certain times of the day...
A strip of tint on the windshield will not make a significant difference on cabin temperature. I think the interior color (black vs cashmere) makes a bigger difference. Also, Lexus glass has some thermo-insulation.

Glare is never a concern for me. I prefer wearing sunglasses...

I guess it depends on preference. I prefer a car without the strip of tint. Perhaps you would prefer it with one. It's your choice ultimately. Just make sure it's done right. Good luck!
Old 02-22-06 | 02:07 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Well according to many people on many forums, Huper Optik tint does provide a signifficant difference in terms of heat. This is the tint I am getting on the front windshield. Many people recommend it and swear by it.
Old 02-22-06 | 02:29 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

I had a strip put across the top of the windshield. From this pic you see where they went around the black dots and the rearview mirror. It all depends on the lighting the car is in to how noticeable it is.

Old 02-22-06 | 03:00 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

I was talking about tinting the windsheild from top to bottom.. its a huge difference.
Old 02-22-06 | 04:49 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I had a "clear" tint installed on my '98 Volvo by a pro. It definitely preserved the dash, etc from UV damage. What I didn't like is that there were annoying, subtle blotches that you could see throughout the entire film. Not the same as the blotches you see from polarized glass. I think it may have been the adhesive layer. Maybe a colored tint won't show these blotches.
Anyway, I just got a certified '92 ES300 and am so happy to have a really clear windshield. I would never "obscure" my view again.
Does anyone know if the glass used in my model has additional UV protection? It's my understanding that glass has a natural uv blocking ability but it apparantly isn't enough as we have all seen cracked and faded dashes.
Florida sun is definitely a killer.
Old 02-22-06 | 07:01 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_250
I was talking about tinting the windsheild from top to bottom.. its a huge difference.
I understand you are going to tint the whole windsheild, I was just showing what they did to the top portion of the windshield as you asked. The mirror wasn't removed they tinted around it. Also after taking a second look at mine tonight on my way home from work I noticed that they tinted over the black dots. I don't see any bubbles and it apears that the tint is sticking fine. If I have any issues I have a life time warranty with it.
Old 02-22-06 | 10:21 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

For what it might be worth, do you own nice Polorized Sun Glasses like from REVO or MAUI JIM? If so, you may want to rethink the front tint idea. If you have true Polorized sunglasses on your face and the tint, you will get the blurry dots in your line of sight. That would drive me crazy.
I would not tint the front either. If your worried about heat, it can't be any worse than where I live (ARIZONA). Trust me - I know heat ! I had a front window done and it was a minor difference, however, like the Volvo owner said, it will help preserve the dash. Remember, AZ averages over 110 everyday in July and AUgust with a max high of 122. If I don't need it, I doubt you do.