IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Radio static

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 04:28 PM
hppygllmr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio static

I am getting static on all my radio stations. It happens almost anywhere I'm at. I would describe it as mild. You can stil makeout the song. No, my windows are not tinted. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
Old 02-21-06, 06:12 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

While I was patiently awaiting my XM install, I had found FM reception to be very poor in the IS compared to my previous cars. The static I would get was just that associated with the signal fading in and out (which happened quite often).
Old 02-21-06, 07:46 PM
hppygllmr
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever have your FM reception checked out by the dealer? If so, what was the verdict?
Old 02-21-06, 08:15 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

No external antenna, so it is what it is. Reception is adequate unless you live out in the boonies. Good thing you have 6 discs to choose from.
Old 02-21-06, 08:27 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hppygllmr
Did you ever have your FM reception checked out by the dealer? If so, what was the verdict?
No, I didn't. Now that XM is installed, I'll never listen to FM. I listen to AM occasionally (NY sports talk radio show) and the reception is fine.
Old 02-21-06, 08:33 PM
mogrefy
Driver School Candidate

Is this static issue really that prevalent? Is Sirius/XM a requirement for non CD/DVD content?
Old 02-21-06, 09:05 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mogrefy
Is this static issue really that prevalent? Is Sirius/XM a requirement for non CD/DVD content?
Well, all I can say is that in my Maxima, I never had any issues with FM reception from the major NY radio stations I listen to. In the IS, the signal on those same stations occasional fade as when you are taking a long road trip and driving out of range. If I wasn't getting satellite radio, it would be something I would've had a gripe about with the dealership. I live in central NJ, so maybe if I lived closer to NY, it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not sure.
Old 02-22-06, 01:01 PM
hppygllmr
Driver School Candidate

I never had a radio issue with my '02 3-series. It had no external antenna. I also have an '04 4Runner with no external antenna. No issues there either. This built-in antenna technology has been around for several years. Considering my past and current vehicles I expect excellent reception from my 350.
Old 02-22-06, 02:56 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

On the JD Power and Lexus survey forms I received in the mail, I noted on both that FM reception is poor.
Old 02-22-06, 04:04 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put your chin on your window and you will get better reception :P

I too have been suffering through poor FM (and lousy programming) while I wait for my Siruis kit.

All my MP3's are old and I'm too lazy to find new music. On top of that, I don't think the ML buffers enough of the song as I get frequent hisses, clicks and skips. Regular CD's play just fine so I know its not the laser.
Old 02-22-06, 04:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

I've also found the radio reception to be just okay. Definitely not as good as my Audi, Maxima, Talon, or any other car I've owned in recent memory.

I'm a bit concerned about Rockville's comments about reception with Sirius. I'd rather get Sirius than XM, but not if it is going to be cutting in and out.
Old 02-22-06, 04:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
On the JD Power and Lexus survey forms I received in the mail, I noted on both that FM reception is poor.
So if Lexus goes back to an external antenna, we can blame you.
Old 02-22-06, 04:33 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always been under the impression that there's at least an in-glass diversity antenna on the Lexus models without external antenna's. While they aren't the best antenna's in the world, you should at least be getting decent non-static reception with strong signals.

The only other thing I can think of is... the in-glass diversity antenna isn't hooked up to the head-unit correctly.

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. FM sucks here in Seattle. I've been using XM since they first launched. I'd pick XM or SIRIUS over FM any day.
Old 02-22-06, 04:47 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'm a bit concerned about Rockville's comments about reception with Sirius. I'd rather get Sirius than XM, but not if it is going to be cutting in and out.
which sirius does he have?
Old 02-22-06, 04:52 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
which sirius does he have?
I believe he's a salesman at a Lexus dealer, and his comments were with respect to the windshield mounted Sirius antenna that Lexus uses (presumably his customers experience on their various Lexus vehicles) in the Maryland/D.C. area.

Quick Reply: Radio static