IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 with 20" Zone 4 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06 | 09:12 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

yeah but how is the ride with the 20s are u sacrificing alot because im in between 20's or 19's can use some help please
Old 02-23-06 | 11:03 AM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
You bought a quality car, do the right thing and buy quality wheels. $1K per wheel is more than a reasonable price to pay. I recently priced a set of HRE 843's... try $7K for the set..
I agree that you *should* buy quality wheels. However, I have a different view on those custom wheels. They are obviously very nice. I like HRE alot, but since these are custom made to fit my car, when it's time for me to sell the rims for whatever reasons, I'm somewhat limited to the crowds I can sell the wheels to. That's one of the reasons why I prefer Volk or some other quality off the shelf wheels.
Old 02-23-06 | 12:02 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vwong
I agree that you *should* buy quality wheels. However, I have a different view on those custom wheels. They are obviously very nice. I like HRE alot, but since these are custom made to fit my car, when it's time for me to sell the rims for whatever reasons, I'm somewhat limited to the crowds I can sell the wheels to. That's one of the reasons why I prefer Volk or some other quality off the shelf wheels.
The flip side to that coin: they are custom built wheels, so you can opt for a more universal offset if desired. This will maximize future resale potential. Of course, the Lexus uses a smallish 60.1mm hub bore, so you'd need to drill the centerbore larger (perhaps 73mm) so you could use centering rings. Other Japanese cars use larger hub bores than Lexus/Toyota, so if you drill the wheels hub-centric for the Lexus/Toyota, they will not fit other cars.

Other customers are not willing to sacrifice perfect fitment for the sake of maybe wanting to sell the wheels later on. Fitment can MAKE OR BREAK the look of a car (granted, I have a critial eye for this). I would NEVER use an "off the shelf" offset for any of my cars; I could never be happy with how thay fit, using spacers, hub-centering rings, etc. And I've never had any problems selling my previous custom high-end wheels; in fact, I've had random PMs asking "when are you going to sell your wheels? I have dibs!"

BTW, the Zone IS fitment is interchangeable with the GS fitment...
Old 02-24-06 | 08:18 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

SocalSC4, so how agressive do you think we can get on the new IS without fender mods? What were the offsets on this particular set of wheels? Im sure alot of the new IS owners would love to know this....
Old 02-27-06 | 11:00 AM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by vwong
I can take some pics when he drives it to work. He carpools with his brother, so he only drives it when it's his turn to drive.
I guess I won't be taking pics of his car anymore. I just found out from his brother that he quit last week. Sorry guys.
Old 02-27-06 | 05:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
You bought a quality car, do the right thing and buy quality wheels. $1K per wheel is more than a reasonable price to pay. I recently priced a set of HRE 843's... try $7K for the set..

Where is Manaray when ya need him
Thats why I still luv this guy