IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How well does the IS auto tranny obey you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 07:01 PM
mike714
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well does the IS auto tranny obey you?

I had an automatic (sportshift) Acura and it frequently frustrated me. For example, I'd be in 4th gear and downshifting to 3rd would NOT have overreved the engine but the computer said "No" to my downshift order frequently. And sometimes I'd tell it to upshift and it would take a couple of clicks of the lever to make it happen. Little stuff like that got real annoying. It seemed like it was frequently in the wrong gear compared to what I would have done.(I know the IS tranny is different in that the driver is just telling it the highest gear to use and letting it choose from there.)

To make it worse, my 4th gear was way too tall and gutless for a 5 speed tranny. Someone accurately described it as a 6 speed tranny w/o the 4th gear. There was that much of a ratio gap between 3rd and 4th. Has anyone noticed any gearing defficiencies like that with the 350?
Old 02-21-06, 07:08 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default former 2001 cl-s owner here

drove it for 5 years, been in the IS for a couple of months

the IS350 sport shift is not going to solve any of your problems

mike, the IS tranny is better all around in all of those areas but you're still going to have issues if you are looking for this to be like a manual shift.
Old 02-21-06, 08:35 PM
mike714
Rookie

Yeah I've test driven a couple and know it won't be as manual as a real manual. I've been trying to think back to my days with the CL auto, decide exactly what frustrated me about it, and figure out how the IS would act in those situations. I wound up driving the CL is D4 most of the time, then hitting D5 once I was up to crusing speed on the freeway. I could do the same on the IS in sport mode.
Old 02-21-06, 08:39 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mike714
I had an automatic (sportshift) Acura and it frequently frustrated me. For example, I'd be in 4th gear and downshifting to 3rd would NOT have overreved the engine but the computer said "No" to my downshift order frequently. And sometimes I'd tell it to upshift and it would take a couple of clicks of the lever to make it happen. Little stuff like that got real annoying. It seemed like it was frequently in the wrong gear compared to what I would have done.(I know the IS tranny is different in that the driver is just telling it the highest gear to use and letting it choose from there.)

To make it worse, my 4th gear was way too tall and gutless for a 5 speed tranny. Someone accurately described it as a 6 speed tranny w/o the 4th gear. There was that much of a ratio gap between 3rd and 4th. Has anyone noticed any gearing defficiencies like that with the 350?
It's no manual tranny, obviously, but I haven't experienced any of the issues you've described here. I've been pretty satisfied overall with the sport-mode shifting.
Old 02-21-06, 09:09 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

I had a tl-s and there was always a lag for it to downahift when flooring while in auto mode and it lagged big time using the sport shift as well.

I now have an is350 and there is no lag. Once you punch it or select a gear... It just goes.
Old 02-21-06, 09:10 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by mike714

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201785

check that out for some more info
Old 02-21-06, 09:23 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I am not a fan of the Manu-matic.

The only thing you can do is control how far it upshifts. IE, if you dont want it to shift to 5th, you set it to 4. It will shift down on its own if you are accelerating hard. then shift back to fourth when you let off or hit red line. When you set it to 4, whe you hit redline you will bounce off the limiter.

Pretty much the exact opposite of what I would want. I want it to downshift when I want to, and upshift when I want it to. However, I wouldnt mind a safety that auto upshifts at redline.

In manual mode, The car shifts up and down as it pleases and will bounce off the limiter. WTH
Old 02-21-06, 10:14 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hate to burst your bubbles... but the Acura TL, CL, TLS, & CLS sportshift transmissions were such problem children that I have trouble with credibility as an example of a manumatic transmission.

I do notice that I need to anticipate my shifts maybe .25 seconds ahead of time, but I'm sorta used to it by now (in the GS's... the IS is the same way).
Old 02-22-06, 02:43 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

So far for me while driving, it downshifts when I tell it to. I always downshift while going down steep hills, and it's been doing very well.
Old 02-22-06, 02:52 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm not getting any complaints about downshift lag..

there may be a delay on upshifts if your pedal is floored but that is normal. I think it is better performance to have the computer upshift for you with it in "Power" mode then to shift with the paddles. The IS250 is fun to drive with the "revs" up. I like having the redline warning light too. The IS350 is a killer looking for victims if you get my drift....

Rock