IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key battery was dead this morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 04:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Key battery was dead this morning

Went to open the car this morning, and was greeted by a locked door. Peering at the little red light on the fob while pushing the unlock button confirmed that the battery was toast. Fortunately, I was at home, and able to grab the spare.

I'm still trying to figure out what killed the battery, which worked just fine yesterday. The only thing I can figure is that I left they key in my pants pocket overnight (which I did) and something heavy enough to press the button was laying on it (don't think so, but who knows?)

Just a heads up, the battery, a CR1632, is not available at Radio Shack, CVS, or any of the local jewelry stores. Finally bit the bullet and drove over to the dealer. The parts guy handed me the battery and asked me where I bought the car. When I told him that it was at his dealership, he told me to have a nice day, i.e., no charge. Kudos to the dealer on that one.

Last edited by Bichon; 02-22-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 04:51 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dang. Sorry to hear.

CR1632's are definitely harder to find than it's larger brother, the CR2032. If you've ever wondered what the #'s mean:

CR1632 is 16mm wide, 3.2mm in depth while the CR2032 is 20mm wide, 3.2mm in depth.

They should of just used CR2032's but I guess that would be too easy.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-22-06, 05:00 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks, wasn't familiar with the battery code. I did lots of Googling trying to find what kind of devices use that battery. The only thing I could find was the 2001+ Saabs. Since the Saab dealer is no closer than the Lexus place, that wasn't much help.
Old 02-22-06, 05:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that was early. I would hope the battery would at least last all year. Let us know how long your second or next one lasts.

Did you take the dead remote and see if you could start the car? Would have been interesting to know what would have happened since this is the way you could find yourself when you get back to your car in the airport parking lot.
Old 02-22-06, 05:47 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bichon, I knew that you of all people...

would know what to do in that instance. Many others would not. If you are forced to pry the cover off the door handle be very careful. It doesn't go back on very gracefully. Then aim your dead key fob right in front of the start button until you see the green light and fire her up. Most dealers will warranty the batteries if the car is that new so I'm glad you didn't go out and buy one at a battery store. Good post. I'm glad it was a knowledgable Club Lexus regular that didn't get flustered.

Rock
Old 02-22-06, 06:09 PM
Langdell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the battery out of my spare to (hopefully) keep it fresh longer so I don't find myself with two dead keyfobs. When I took delivery, I asked my saleslady about doing this. She is sort of the grandmotherly type and not the most technologically oriented, and her response was, "Oh, I wouldn't open it yourself. I would only let the service department change the battery. It's very complex." Once I got home, I found the bit in the owner's manual--under "do-it-yourself"--about popping the keyfob open to change the battery. I think I managed O.K.

P.S. I also read in the manual or somewhere the warning that keeping your keyfob too close to a cell phone can drain the battery. If true, that's a problem given that most people carry both their phone and their car key on their persons.

Last edited by Langdell; 02-22-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 06:50 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Pardon me if this is an ignorant question since I don't have my car yet (Saturday can't come soon enough ) but say Bichon was at work and he is going home for the night and he goes to get in the car, if the battery on the fob is dead, will you not be able to press the button on the door handle to get in? Will there not be enough "juice" in the fob to open the door? Are we supposed to be carrying around "spare" batteries then, since there is no "key" to open the door?
Old 02-22-06, 07:02 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by is4me2
Pardon me if this is an ignorant question since I don't have my car yet (Saturday can't come soon enough ) but say Bichon was at work and he is going home for the night and he goes to get in the car, if the battery on the fob is dead, will you not be able to press the button on the door handle to get in? Will there not be enough "juice" in the fob to open the door? Are we supposed to be carrying around "spare" batteries then, since there is no "key" to open the door?
There actually is a mechanical key to open the door in just such an emergency. It is normally stored in the keyfob and slides out. There is a hidden keyhole on the door that you can use after prying off the little plastic piece that covers it. Then (supposedly) you can start the car by holding the keyfob right next to the start button.

I hope I never have to test these emergency plans, but I will be prepared if I do!
Old 02-22-06, 07:14 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kermee
Dang. Sorry to hear.

CR1632's are definitely harder to find than it's larger brother, the CR2032. If you've ever wondered what the #'s mean:

CR1632 is 16mm wide, 3.2mm in depth while the CR2032 is 20mm wide, 3.2mm in depth.

They should of just used CR2032's but I guess that would be too easy.

Cheers,
Kermee
But then, how could they charge $25 for a battery that you could get at CVS for 2.99
Old 02-22-06, 07:24 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Alrighty then...thanks Langdell.....maybe I should ask them to throw in a spare battery when I pick up the car.
Old 02-22-06, 11:00 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kind of off-topic but if you want to try:

#1. Take off the key-hole cover.
#2. Take out the physical key from the key-fob.
#3. Turn once and back to unlock the driver's side door.
#4. Turn a second time (clockwise) and hold it for about 5 seconds.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-23-06, 05:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

batteries.com $2.99 $1.49 shipping

OR
apexbattery.com $7.50...shipping sucks tho...GROUP BUY???!!! free shipping over $50.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-23-06 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-23-06, 06:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BATTGG = 20% off discount code at BATTERIES.COM oh, also gives you FREE SHIPPING

Last edited by bagwell; 02-23-06 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-23-06, 06:07 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
BATTGG = 20% off discount code at BATTERIES.COM
Damn it man, you're 2 minutes too late! Ah well, I'll eat the 80 cents.
Old 02-23-06, 06:15 AM
Langdell
Driver

How about 5 batteries for $5.24 shipped?
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-PANASONIC-CR16...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Key battery was dead this morning