IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my first compliment from a stranger today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 11:41 AM
Langdell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my first compliment from a stranger today.

Today at a local mall parking lot my IS350 got her first compliment from a random stranger (vs. friends and family). I took delivery of my car on Saturday, and this is the first sunny day we have had here in Central Texas since then. So, at lunchtime, I ran by the mall to pick up something as an excuse to get out and drive in the sun a little. When I went to get in my car, this guy--it turns out--had parked out near where I parked just so he could get a good look at the IS350. He was on his way in to the mall, but turned back when he saw me to tell me my car was gorgeous, etc.
Old 02-23-06, 11:44 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by Langdell
Today at a local mall parking lot my IS350 got her first compliment from a random stranger (vs. friends and family). I took delivery of my car on Saturday, and this is the first sunny day we have had here in Central Texas since then. So, at lunchtime, I ran by the mall to pick up something as an excuse to get out and drive in the sun a little. When I went to get in my car, this guy--it turns out--had parked out near where I parked just so he could get a good look at the IS350. He was on his way in to the mall, but turned back when he saw me to tell me my car was gorgeous, etc.
congrats im sure youll have plenty more
Old 02-23-06, 12:01 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Langdell
by the way, nice color choice, i wanted the black interior and ML!!! grr lol
Old 02-23-06, 12:06 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's always nice to get noticed by strangers, i've had a few already but i've had my car for 90 days now.

most memorable comments from friends:

"...you're driving a glorified toyota." After a two-minute demo of features (ml, rear shade, backup camera, ipod, push-button start, and the list goes on....) and a burst of blazing speed getting onto the freeway, she changed her mind quickly.

"...you know I think this is the finest car i've ever ridden in in my entire life." With the abundance of nice cars on the market today and her being 30+ yr old, I found that to be quite a compliment.

Old 02-23-06, 12:25 PM
silver250
Driver

you'll be getting alot of those people who pretend to look at their side mirrors getting ready to change lanes but their actually checking out your car................... and also those fake neck stretches hahahhahahahh its nice to get that kind of attention
Old 02-23-06, 12:44 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A manager next builder came to my office building asking who's IS350 is that.... I later talk to her about it and she just got one this week. Nice huh???
Old 02-23-06, 12:47 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

So happy for your Langdell that you got your car!

My dealer called last night and said my car was here. First sport package car he'd seen. (I've yet to see one.) I said, well, how does it look. He said "dynamite". Told him I'd be there Monday to pick it up.........what was I thinking........Monday. I couldn't sleep all night. Taking off work tomorrow to go get it.
Old 02-23-06, 01:13 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats, Langdell! Trust me. You'll get plenty more.

I've gotten quite a few people walking up to me after I park. The first one I got was definitely one of the memorable ones. I park at the local Best Buy, a guy in a brand new VW Passat parks next to me and goes...

"Dang. I think I bought the wrong car."

I laughed and we talked it over going feature-to-feature over each other's car. Needless to say, I felt bad making HIM feel bad.

Another of the memorable ones happens a lot. I catch a TON of you E46 owners looking at my IS and even a few new E90 owners. And actually two nights ago was the latest one. An E46 driver tailgated me for about 2 miles until he finally changed lanes to the right, came up along side of me, smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-23-06, 01:40 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
Congrats, Langdell! Trust me. You'll get plenty more.

I've gotten quite a few people walking up to me after I park. The first one I got was definitely one of the memorable ones. I park at the local Best Buy, a guy in a brand new VW Passat parks next to me and goes...

"Dang. I think I bought the wrong car."
My guy made similar remarks to the effect that he had just recently bought his car (some version of a Honda Civic) and that I did a better job of picking out a new car than he did. (I did not point out the fact that he probably had more money left in his pocket, but he could probably figure that out.)

I got used to similar admiring comments with my previous car, an '04 Mazda RX-8 (also black and beautiful). The RX-8 is so distinctive that I frequently got "Wow! What is that?" type comments, constantly when it was brand new, but even occasionally after the car had been on the roads for a couple of years. When I went shopping for a new car, I knew I wanted another car that would generate the same type of reaction. Hence, the all-new IS!
Old 02-23-06, 02:06 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations. It is nice when friends and family truly appreciate the car and sincerely compliment your choice. It is quite another thing when total strangers tell you how much they love your choice. I've only had mine 5/6 weeks but have had the "total stranger" experience a couple of times now. It does feel good and it validates our excellent choice!
Old 02-23-06, 02:20 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it when I get those, keep in mind my "beast" is going on 11+ years old.

you'll for sure get more down the road, I love the look of the new IS's

Tommy
Old 02-23-06, 03:11 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

i got exactly same options /color config.
picking up on saturday.
grats to you!
Old 02-23-06, 03:13 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I had a similar experience today...I was pulling into a parking lot and an older couple probably in their 60's kept staring at me and when I got out of the car the old man said "Nice looking car you have there son" I smiled and said "Thank you sir"

I just washed the car so I'm sure that helps...having the black onyx is difficult to keep clean but if its maintained you will defenitely get a lot more compliments.
Old 02-23-06, 04:02 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

First night I had the car I ran to the grocery store and parked as far away as possible. I came back to find 5 locals standing around my car. I nodded as I walked past the first one, hopped in and took off as they all stood there, mouths open, following the car with their heads. It's a great feeling...

I too missed that feeling, but being in a small, domestic dominated town in the midwest it's not quite as tough to stand out. When I first brought home my Supra in '98 I witnessed a few near accidents, same thing when I tested a 911 and a Ferrari 328. Then I was stuck with a Matrix XRS for 2 years and I felt so unloved... hahahah - okay, maybe not that bad, but I missed that neck snapping attention. I pulled into the local GM dealer to visit my aunt-in-law who works there and you've never seen salespeople move that fast to check out a car....
Old 02-23-06, 04:13 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Then I was stuck with a Matrix XRS for 2 years and I felt so unloved... hahahah - okay, maybe not that bad, but I missed that neck snapping attention..
I know what you mean. During the 6-week wait for my IS, I was driving a cheapo rental car. When you're used to driving a car that turns heads, it's really weird to drive one that goes unnoticed. People just don't pay much attention to a Chevy Cobalt, even a bright red one! (Not a bad thing really as I wasn't that eager to be seen driving it.) Last night, the neighbor I park next to was outside when I got home and gave his major thumbs up to the new car. He said he had been wondering why I went from driving the RX-8 to the little Chevy.

Quick Reply: Got my first compliment from a stranger today.