IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Radio Volume -- Too soft compared to Radio & CD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 11:14 AM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had the dealer change out the XM unit yesterday.... it still doesn't sound any greater. It just doesn't sound as crisp as a CD or even FM radio! I dont' know what to do at this point.... I feel like I want to contact another IS owner with installed SAT in the Greater Cincinnati area and check his/her system out.
Old 03-08-06, 12:21 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cincy_hyn
So I had the dealer change out the XM unit yesterday.... it still doesn't sound any greater. It just doesn't sound as crisp as a CD or even FM radio! I dont' know what to do at this point.... I feel like I want to contact another IS owner with installed SAT in the Greater Cincinnati area and check his/her system out.
It may not sound quite as good as a CD, but it should def. sound WAY better than FM radio. What does the dealership say? Do they agree it sounds like crap, or do they think it sounds fine?
Old 03-08-06, 01:30 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
It may not sound quite as good as a CD, but it should def. sound WAY better than FM radio. What does the dealership say? Do they agree it sounds like crap, or do they think it sounds fine?
When I had my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT with the factory installed Sirius Radio, the Sirius sound was better than most CD's. Something must be wrong with the installation or the receiver itself.
Old 03-08-06, 02:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

what about checking the obvious... antenna location?
Old 03-08-06, 03:53 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 350 should be in soon and im thinking about buying (from lexus-parts) and instlling this myself. Does this work threw the factory navigation? Is there an option such as, Fm/am and SAT? Everything hides and all looks stock right. There is no velcrow holding a little remote on the dash that you have to use right?
Old 03-08-06, 05:50 PM
cincy_hyn
Driver School Candidate

I've actually done the install myself on a 2003 Murano, very plug and play, just got to know where to put things. I think there is a post about that somewhere.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. They said they changed out the unit. However, I'm a little hesitant, if they changed out the receiver shouldn't I have had to activate the XM radio again? I didn't need to, however, I did have to input all my favorites again. Should I still mention that it's not good? I need another IS to compare this with and then I'll have more validity.
Old 03-08-06, 06:54 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They said they changed out the unit. However, I'm a little hesitant, if they changed out the receiver shouldn't I have had to activate the XM radio again?

Yes, if they changed out the receiver, you should have to activate the new receiver, unless the dealer actually went ahead and called for you and transferred your service to this receiver. Each one has a DSR ID#, kinda like the ESN's on cell phones.

XM usually won't sound better than a CD, but should definitely be better than FM. I'm using a SkyFI2 in my Acura Integra. I have an Alpine HU and amp along with Infinity Kappa speakers all around. I must admit, even in that car, it does sound kinda flat.
Old 03-08-06, 07:03 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobsGX
When I had my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT with the factory installed Sirius Radio, the Sirius sound was better than most CD's. Something must be wrong with the installation or the receiver itself.
I traded my Magnum RT with Sirius in for the Lexus.

I thought FM sounded better then the Sirius. CD's sounded way better. But after a few weeks I got used to the sound of sat radio and didn't notice it all that much anymore.

I bought a Sirius One reciever (50 Bux) to hold me over until my lexus tuner comes in. I couldn't stand being without my Sirius and since I was paying for it I might as well be able to use it.

Anyway, the Sirius One through the AUX jack sounds even worse then the Magnum did. The Magnum lacked highs and what I have now lacks even more. Personally, I think they compress the signal too much.
Old 03-09-06, 07:01 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I've actually done the install myself on a 2003 Murano, very plug and play, just got to know where to put things. I think there is a post about that somewhere.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. They said they changed out the unit. However, I'm a little hesitant, if they changed out the receiver shouldn't I have had to activate the XM radio again? I didn't need to, however, I did have to input all my favorites again. Should I still mention that it's not good? I need another IS to compare this with and then I'll have more validity.
If you didn't have to call XM to change the radio ID on your account from the old to the new receiver, I guarantee you have the same receiver.