IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does the IS350 stand a performing chance against the 335i?
yes
59.09%
no
40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 02:28 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keeeeez
Prolly because in their own test comparisons between the IS350 and 330i, BMW knew that the Lexus had definately one-uped them (Finally) - a less expensive, faster, better looking, higher quality, more maintenance free car in the IS350. Lets hope that Lexus pays attention when they see the sales shift (after the 335i comes out): Then we might see the IS350 6MT!
This could be the Lexus answer:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=283726
Old 02-28-06, 08:12 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BMW can enlarge the displacement and turbocharge

but the answer for Lexus will be more hybrids. If you take the IS350 and add the Hybrid CVT trans and electric motors (space could be a limitation) you get 339 HP normally aspirated with instant torque and 33% less gas consumption, 80% less emissions. The weight increase would require a stiffer suspension. BTW, VDIM is a plus not a negative. The press has brainwashed the male ego to resist any electronic Nanny's. Anyone want to go back to non ABS? When I started driving there wasn't any power steering, power brakes or automatics on sports cars. Driving an Aston Martin DB4 is quite a work out especially if you need to parallel park it. The TR3's, Mini Coopers and Healy 3000's were a lot of fun but couldn't keep up with an IS250 of today. BMW's of today require a lot of stall time getting downloads. We don't have that at Lexus. When a turbocharged Bimmer hits the market it will get raves from the press. The owners will get the bill.....

Rock
Old 02-28-06, 08:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will say this. BMW must really be paying attention to Lexus. Here is why
1. G35 had 260 and now 298hp, BMW didn't retaliate (probably paid no attention). The Acura TL has 270hp, again, they didn't give a fig.
2. Benz has updated their V-6 to a 3.5, BMW didn't retaliate.
3. Lexus comes with the IS 350, next thing we know, a 335 is confirmed, a turbo to battle a N/A car.

This is a BIG deal. This also means, there might be more turbo BMWs coming
Or maybe just a coincidence or a combination of all the main competitors jumping into the hp race. Though it is nice to see BMW up hp and hell even match the IS350, I dont think it was only because of Lexus.
Old 02-28-06, 09:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by magneto112
Or maybe just a coincidence or a combination of all the main competitors jumping into the hp race. Though it is nice to see BMW up hp and hell even match the IS350, I dont think it was only because of Lexus.

Agreed. I tend to think that BMW was due for an engine upgrade. I don't think it was the IS350 that initiated the change.
Old 02-28-06, 09:30 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by Ramon
Agreed. I tend to think that BMW was due for an engine upgrade. I don't think it was the IS350 that initiated the change.
But they did! This year they went from the 225 hp engine to the 255 hp engine.
Old 02-28-06, 09:50 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Giving BMW the benefit of the doubt, with its proposed two turbos plus the intercooler and extra plumbing, I bet it adds at least 200 lbs to the car. And oh by the way, an extra 200 lb front bias is a big deal for a 3400 lb car. Why do you think they bothered to throw the battery in the trunk for only 30 lbs.
200 lbs? Please - just stop. No offense, but you're really starting to look foolish.

The entire magnesium/aluminum N52B30 (3.0L) block (including necessary peripherals; all operating gear, camshafts, timing gear, and whatnot) currently used in the E90 only weighs 160 kg / 352 lbs. No idea what the N54 weighs, though it's said to be considerably lighter than the 4.0L V8 currently used in the 540i (which I believe is lighter than - or at least no heavier than - the old 210 kg M60B40 block, let alone the 221 kg M62B44). BMW Ag press release claims reduction of 70 kg from aforementioned 4.0L, but I'm a bit skeptical.

The all-aluminum construction of the N54 block should add around 8-10 kg to the block weight over the N52 (probably about in line with that of the aluminum M54B30, 170 kg), all of the turbo plumbing should add about the same, perhaps less. I figure no more than ~175 kg for the whole shebang.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 02-28-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 10:01 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

On another note, it's in BMW's best interest to price the 335i competitively with the IS350 and G35 and dump the underpowered 330i entirely (maybe give the 325 model a slight boost in the process, but it's really not needed yet...seeing as it already runs rings around the IS250, TSX, and others).

I know I won't even think of buying the 335i if the base price of the sedan model exceeds 40k. You're talking 5 series, E-class, GS territory.

BMW is supposedly developing a 2.5L SULEV-II qualified engine for Sept. 06 production, specifically for the US market, named N51B25. No word on whether or not this engine will use HPI, though I doubt it (that would be the under-development N53 series: naturally aspirated derivatives of the N54, replacing Valvetronic with HPI and using current displacements).

This being the case, it would probably find its way into a new entry-level 3 series, or (considerably less likely) replace the detuned 3.0 found in the 325i in emissions sensitive states. Can't see this thing intended for 1 series use when the US-market 1 series intro is still years away. Personally, I think this engine will be used in a 320i/323i type of car, using the E90 chassis, and selling for under 30k with around 190 hp. Upgrade the 325 a bit, dump the 330i and replace it with the 335i. Slight (<$2000) price increases for all of them. But, that's just my opinion. Though the European strategy is apparently set in stone, nobody knows for sure what BMWNA will do at this point. At least, nobody who talks.
Old 03-01-06, 02:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
But they did! This year they went from the 225 hp engine to the 255 hp engine.

You have to remember what 1SickLex and others said in another topic. Development of new cars and engines don't happen overnight. BMW didn't wait unitl the end of 05 to see what engine the IS350 has and then decide to build a turbocharged motor. They have been developing this motor for a while now. Some have said for at least 2 years now. Maybe they were in the same boat as Lexus. Just as the GS300 will get a new engine and become a GS350, it probbly is the same for BMW. The current 330 and GS300 engines were probably put in there because they needed to release the car and the other engines just weren't ready yet.
Old 03-01-06, 03:37 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You have to remember what 1SickLex and others said in another topic. Development of new cars and engines don't happen overnight. BMW didn't wait unitl the end of 05 to see what engine the IS350 has and then decide to build a turbocharged motor. They have been developing this motor for a while now. Some have said for at least 2 years now. Maybe they were in the same boat as Lexus. Just as the GS300 will get a new engine and become a GS350, it probbly is the same for BMW. The current 330 and GS300 engines were probably put in there because they needed to release the car and the other engines just weren't ready yet.
Excellent post. Thanks to you and 1SickLex for pointing out these facts, which should be obvious to all, but isn't.
Old 03-01-06, 04:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
but the answer for Lexus will be more hybrids. If you take the IS350 and add the Hybrid CVT trans and electric motors (space could be a limitation) you get 339 HP normally aspirated with instant torque and 33% less gas consumption, 80% less emissions.
I agree...bring on the Hybrid IS.....
Old 03-01-06, 10:58 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
I agree...bring on the Hybrid IS.....
You've obviously never driven a car with a CVT transmission. If you had, you wouldn't be so enthusiastic. It's the biggest piece of garbage imagineable, at least for someone professing even a moderate interest in driving a sports sedan.
Old 03-01-06, 11:02 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heffergm
You've obviously never driven a car with a CVT transmission. If you had, you wouldn't be so enthusiastic. It's the biggest piece of garbage imagineable, at least for someone professing even a moderate interest in driving a sports sedan.
Apparantly Lexus has much improved the CVT for the GS450h according to thecarconnection.com, which says that the transmission is smooth and the transition between the electric motor and the gas motor is nearly imperceptible, unlike the previous hybrid vehicles.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...74.A10059.html
Old 03-01-06, 11:06 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Apparantly Lexus has much improved the CVT for the GS450h according to thecarconnection.com, which says that the transmission is smooth and the transition between the electric motor and the gas motor is nearly imperceptible, unlike the previous hybrid vehicles.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...74.A10059.html
I could care less how smooth it is. If you're interested in driving a performance vehicle that professes to get around corner quickly, smooth isn't a primary concern. You want control of gears. A CVT has none.
Old 03-01-06, 11:11 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

I think people are also forgetting that the 3 series does have a stock 333 HP engine in it from the factory. I think a lot of people forget that the M3 is still a 3 series... hella over priced but still...

But they continue to miss the boat on the 330 model with HP. At this point, its well behind just about every car in this class as far as HP goes. Considering this is the model put up in this class. BMW has has what 4 years to put up G35 hp and 2+ years to put up TL HP. They respond 4 years later to the G35 with an engine with 45 less hp
Old 03-01-06, 11:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
I could care less how smooth it is. If you're interested in driving a performance vehicle that professes to get around corner quickly, smooth isn't a primary concern. You want control of gears. A CVT has none.
The tranny on the GS450H has a manual mode simulated six-speed, so you can have some control, but of course nothing compares to a true manual transmission with a clutch.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i