IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bluetooth Problem still...Treo650

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 10:45 PM
Money9111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Problem still...Treo650

so i've had my IS for about a month and a half now...the dealer asked which fone i had and i said the treo 650 and they said "oh we cant connect the fone, because it's complicated, but go to this place down the street and ask for so and so and he'll be able to do it" so i went to the other place and he had no idea.. so i figuerd "im a smart guy i'll try to connect it" so about 30 minutes and some playing around i got it connected. it worked for about a week and then stopped working...i've heard of problems with PDA fones and Bluetooth capable cars...right now im about ready to just buy a new fone... any help?

ps someone suggested that i update the software on the fone from the palm website (and i did and it still doesnt work)
Old 02-26-06, 05:16 AM
carlmock
Rookie

Originally Posted by Money9111
so i've had my IS for about a month and a half now...the dealer asked which fone i had and i said the treo 650 and they said "oh we cant connect the fone, because it's complicated, but go to this place down the street and ask for so and so and he'll be able to do it" so i went to the other place and he had no idea.. so i figuerd "im a smart guy i'll try to connect it" so about 30 minutes and some playing around i got it connected. it worked for about a week and then stopped working...i've heard of problems with PDA fones and Bluetooth capable cars...right now im about ready to just buy a new fone... any help?

ps someone suggested that i update the software on the fone from the palm website (and i did and it still doesnt work)

maybe he didnt understand you when you kept using the word fone... for such a smart guy you may want to work on your spelling...

I think people are having a lot of difficulties with the TREO 650 and its not just lexus..

Last edited by carlmock; 02-26-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-26-06, 06:03 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The Treo 650 comes in different versions...

Sprint works the best. You definitely need the latest Bluetooth version available on Palmone.com for your version. In the Treo 650 Options make sure that your car (Handsfree)is a "trusted device". You can manually connect in "select phone" area on the Nav screen in Bluetooth. The Treo 650 is a fine multi task device. Your next hurdle will be sending in your phone book to the IS. It is necessary to create a new "group" as you can not have multiple listings for one person and there cannot be any parentheses in the number. Luckily the IS lets you enter manually and provides icons for mobile, home, work etc. A little time spent doing this chore will pay off handsomely later. The first numbers you will need in the phone book are you most active dials. Then you import them from the cars phonebook into "one touch dials". You can tag some of them as voice recognition dials so you can execute "dial by name" on voice command. Since voice commands take practice and can easily get garbled the One touch dials are still very useful and more reliable IMO. If you have a voicemail or other number that requires pause and tones to get through there are special memory dial slots for those too.

The Treo has other issues like bumping calls when a new call is received.(Verizon) It can be used with your IS but not as seemlessly as others which are more basic phones. There are many threads regarding this phone but the IS has the newest Bluetooth version from Lexus. The RX350 just arrived and the ES350 coming on April 21st with the 2nd gen. Bluetooth like the IS. BTW, not all phones that are Bluetooth will pair successfully with the Lexus system. Cingular and T-Mobile phones generally work the best. There is a new Motorola 870i from Nextel that is having a lot of problems pairing up and that is unusual because Motorola phone have been the easiest to pair in the past...

Rock
Old 02-26-06, 06:35 AM
lcarr
Rookie

I have a Blackberry 7290 and it work's great. I have also had my iPaq 6515 paired with no problems. My dealer told me that the Blackberry's were a problem, but I haven't seen it. I've had my car (IS350) 3 weeks now and once I had to turn the Bluetooth on and off the get it to re-link. I was in and out of the car a couple of time in a very short period of time. I think that was what caused the phone not to link. When the stereo is turned on it displays the Bluetooth Link Enabled message indicating that it has paired with the phone and if you get that far, it seems to work great. The audio is good for both the driver and the person on the other end of the line. Plenty of volume and very clear. I'm a happy camper.

/Larry
Old 02-26-06, 06:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The Blackberry's don't allow the Phonebook...

to be transmitted into the car. As stated earlier in this thread in the IS you can manually build your own phonebook in the car so it is not as important as in the 1st gen. Bluetooth. The provider can be almost as important as the phone choice when it comes to Bluetooth. The Motorola Razr worked well in the past with the Lexus Bluetooth and now Verizon has the Razr and the software is totally different and of course doesn't allow phonebook uploading to the car like the Cingular and T-Mobile do.

I am also wondering what will happen with the Blackberry lawsuit and the potential of turning off the RIM units?

Rock
Old 02-26-06, 03:01 PM
jjsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockville
Sprint works the best. You definitely need the latest Bluetooth version available on Palmone.com for your version. In the Treo 650 Options make sure that your car (Handsfree)is a "trusted device". You can manually connect in "select phone" area on the Nav screen in Bluetooth. The Treo 650 is a fine multi task device. Your next hurdle will be sending in your phone book to the IS. It is necessary to create a new "group" as you can not have multiple listings for one person and there cannot be any parentheses in the number. Luckily the IS lets you enter manually and provides icons for mobile, home, work etc. A little time spent doing this chore will pay off handsomely later. The first numbers you will need in the phone book are you most active dials. Then you import them from the cars phonebook into "one touch dials". You can tag some of them as voice recognition dials so you can execute "dial by name" on voice command. Since voice commands take practice and can easily get garbled the One touch dials are still very useful and more reliable IMO. If you have a voicemail or other number that requires pause and tones to get through there are special memory dial slots for those too.

The Treo has other issues like bumping calls when a new call is received.(Verizon) It can be used with your IS but not as seemlessly as others which are more basic phones. There are many threads regarding this phone but the IS has the newest Bluetooth version from Lexus. The RX350 just arrived and the ES350 coming on April 21st with the 2nd gen. Bluetooth like the IS. BTW, not all phones that are Bluetooth will pair successfully with the Lexus system. Cingular and T-Mobile phones generally work the best. There is a new Motorola 870i from Nextel that is having a lot of problems pairing up and that is unusual because Motorola phone have been the easiest to pair in the past...

Rock
So, I take it you were able to get your 650 pared with the IS? I have a Sprint 650 with the latest updates. Hve you seen such a phone work with the IS Bluetooth tech?
Old 02-26-06, 03:13 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
The issue is more of a limitation of the Lexus bluetooth implementation.
It's not a limitation of the Lexus BT implementation. It works perfectly, and is dependent on the phone. SE phones push the address book fine, as do others. Your phone must support the Object Push, File Transfer, or Synchronization services (I forget which one specifically). But if your phone is missing one of those, then it's likely that's the one.
Old 02-26-06, 03:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Your phone must support the Object Push, File Transfer, or Synchronization services (I forget which one specifically).
Object Push Profile. Some phones don't support it, some will only push one phone book entry at a time, and a few will push the entire phonebook in one go.
Old 02-26-06, 04:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Then why does the Blackberry & Treo (regardless of carrier) work fine...
That is a pretty bold statement, which I don't believe. Carriers hold absolute power over the phone manufactures. If the feature you're trying doesn't work with an unlocked phone, then it's likely not going to work at all (carrier supplied phone). I had a Treo, but it's BT implementation is weak at best (it is afte all their first BT). I can't say for certain why a phone doesn't work, all I can say with certainty is what works for me. I payed a lot extra for an unlocked phone, just so that I am not at the mercy of the carrier.
Old 02-26-06, 06:50 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Hey which carrier are you with??? Have you downloaded the newest firmware for the T-650???

I'll help you out: Here is the link to Pam support . Goto get support for your Treo and follow the prompts, if you have any questions just PM me and I'll help you out!!!!!

http://www.palm.com/us/support/
Old 02-27-06, 12:47 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everytime I see a post similar to this it always degrades into off topic chaos and ranting.

go here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186685

and you will get good info. mods please consider that link for a sticky. kensteele and kermee are helpful and as always, photographic evidence is a plus.
Old 02-27-06, 04:52 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The IS Bluetooth is 2nd gen. for Lexus....

so a lot of the phone transfer issues are solved by direct input into the system. Most of the Blackberries that I have paired do not have a way to send the phonebook in via bluetooth. It has nothing to do with the Lexus receiving them successfully. This could be a carrier based issue as previously mentioned. I have probably paired about a thousand phones since 2004 when the Bluetooth era started at Lexus. The same phone model can have different software from one carrier to another. The GSM type phones were the first to get Bluetooth. Yes, a Treo 650 can work with the Lexus but in the beginning the software of the Treo was not compatible so a lot of dealers checked it off their list. There are many threads on this topic but most are reflecting use of the first Gen. Bluetooth of earlier Lexus models. The IS250/350, RX350 and the ES350 will have the newer version.

On the call sound quality issue the sedans and coupe have the best sound quality and the SUV's have the most cabin echo effect. There are adjustments that can be made in the system but finding someone adept at tuning them is very rare so that is a problem for the dealerships. New phones are introduced every couple of months and it is a full time job to get acquainted and understand just the rudimentary features of the newest phones. Lexus is in the car business and probably not the best place to get operating tips. The funny thing is if you go to Verizon or a Cingular store you will get even less expertise and more confusion about Bluetooth phone use in cars. This gulf leaves the customer on their own many times. This forum does a great service by allowing everyone to contribute knowledge for the Lexus owner. Believe me, I depend on Club Lexus a lot....

Rock
Old 02-27-06, 03:08 PM
vasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rockville
Motorola Razr worked well in the past with the Lexus Bluetooth and now Verizon has the Razr and the software is totally different and of course doesn't allow phonebook uploading to the car like the Cingular and T-Mobile do.

Rock
Rock-

I have a RAZR with Cingular, but I haven't been able to upload the entire phonebook at one time, just each entry one-by-one. Are you sure it can be done with a CIngular RAZR, or did I misinterpret your message?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-06, 04:58 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hello Vasco...

Your Razr works as designed which uploads one at a time. If you had Verizon instead it would have a different menu screen and the center menu button would be eliminated and no ability to upload any phone numbers to the Lexus. This was a big issue before because you needed to get the Alpha characters of the name of the contact by uploading them. Now in the newer generation IS you can manually spell the contacts name and add icons and each name can have four phone listings. I probably wouldn't even upload the phone info anymore. Some owners are phone call intensive and do their business while driving about all day and need the full 1000 numbers. Most of the others can get by with say a dozen one touch dials. Try manual entry and try to make some of them voice commands. Dial by Name, say the name, then it dials it.

Rock
Old 02-27-06, 07:31 PM
vasco
Rookie

Rock-

Thanks for the clarification. I'm in the second group; I only transferred a few important numbers, one-by-one, and assigned speed dial and voice.

Saludos,

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Problem still...Treo650