IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lifetime Tires.....is this price fair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 11:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Well, people know how the stock tires perform... and would like to keep it that way. Mount and balance + Warranty should be included in the cost, since you get that with the Lifetime replacement plan with that dealer

I would want a different tire however, The Michelin Pilot Sport AS, with 400AA treadwear.
thats how tire companies are making loads of money by selling overpriced underperforming OE tires, many people are uninformed of the other cheaper and better performing alternatives models or even know how to select a non OE tire. When getting a tire replacement "I want the same thing that came with it" Sad but true I cant remember how many times I heard this while my car was at Discount Tire. Frankily Im not a fan of paying more for a product that performs less, when less expensive better performing tires exist.

BTW treadwear ratings are not standardized by the industry, its hard to compare bt a 400 of one company and 400 of another.
Old 02-27-06, 12:35 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I want the pilots for more than just the treadwear, it weighs 4-6lbs per tire, compared to other tire, and handles great.

However, 400AA from Michelin, you can expect the tire to last a while. Its not like buying Nittos or Khumo's

About wanting the stock tire, its not a bad idea. Any time you buy a tire you ave never had before you are gambling. I went through a lot of tires on my 3000, before I decided that the Pilots were the best for me.
Old 02-27-06, 01:14 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had tires for life on my Matrix XRS and it was completely free as long as I had my car serviced with that dealer exclusively. They never gave me a hard time about it and I got to choose my tires. I used 17 inch Potenzas in the summer and even got them to do a set of Yokohama All-seasons for the winter. Tell them to throw it in for free and then the service restriction isn't a big deal... otherwise I'd say skip it.

On average price of most 18 inch tires figure 16,000 tire life and $800 replacement cost... That's what I've seen with reasonable driving.
Old 02-27-06, 03:28 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

I had a set of Conti's all season tires mounted on our car for $600 all four tires. At that price you will have to use 3 sets of tires in the 2 years before you move. Not likely. Also there is probably an excessive wear stipulation on their program that would prevent you from burning up tires on the track. Save your money.
Old 02-27-06, 05:02 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

You can get the tires for life program on the 350s for well less than $750. Talk them down.
Old 02-28-06, 11:04 AM
lucinda
Driver School Candidate

My 'tires for life' plan cost $1500 with a $250 discount, so I paid $1250. I think it is a good deal for me and I assume it is transferable to another dealership (they didn't tell me otherwise). I already had to replace one tire for $400 (which, of course, I didn't have to pay). And I know a replacement set is already the price of the program.
Old 02-28-06, 07:26 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

that sounds pretty rediculous. i just went to my dealership to inquire about the tire replacement program. 5yrs - $299, 4yrs - $279, 3yrs - $259. it was offered by a company called Autonation and they will replace your tire if it is unrepairable or they can do patch work. this is all done through the dealership. it also will cover rim damage such as going into a pothole. if it becomes bent, the dealership will replace the rim. as long as there is at least 3/32 tread remaining, your tire will be replaced if you blow it. the guy also said that should you decide to put aftermarket tires on the rims, and you run into any type of tire problem, it would also be covered. i have the brochure my dealership gave me and im thinkn of purchasing the 5yr plan. i also live in FL if that has any affect on the available options.
Old 02-28-06, 07:45 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

The guy talking about something different.

The OP's plan replaces the tire for wear... for life, as long as the service is done at the dealership. At that price, I'd say pass on it
Old 02-28-06, 07:46 PM
lxlplaylxl
Driver School Candidate

hahahahah ya that price is a total rip off. think about it you HAVE TO get your car serviced at the dealership and on top of that you have to pay 20 bux a tire to have them mounted. total rip off go to costco they have much more resonable prices
Old 02-28-06, 08:46 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I learned from my previous car purchase is to never buy ANY additional perks (special wax, extended warranty, interior treatment, tires...)
Old 03-01-06, 07:16 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
One thing I learned from my previous car purchase is to never buy ANY additional perks (special wax, extended warranty, interior treatment, tires...)

Yes I wouldn't buy any of that crap either, especially if I didn't have the money for it.
Old 03-05-06, 05:38 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I went in a canceled it off the contract today..........

My salesman was kinda tweaked about it, but I said it's not worth it, let alone you'll replace it with crappy tires each time(stock tires).

Did find out the car should be here tomorrow or Tuesday though........
Old 03-05-06, 06:49 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys sure that the service you have to have isnt the tire service? Rotate and balance and such. Did they tell you that you needed to have your engine serviced at the dealer?
Old 03-05-06, 06:58 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I just have the general assumption (as most do) that all car salesman/dealers are crooks and trying to see how much of your money they can get. Especially when you are buying a car this expensive, they will assume you have $$$ to burn. Bottom line is, they wouldn't be doing it unless they were making a serious profit.
Old 03-06-06, 05:33 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by integlikew
Are you guys sure that the service you have to have isnt the tire service? Rotate and balance and such. Did they tell you that you needed to have your engine serviced at the dealer?

It's right in the print........Vehicle has to be serviced every 5k miles or 6 months, which ever comes first.

You can't rotate the IS wheels.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Tires.....is this price fair?