IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lifetime Tires.....is this price fair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 05:17 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Tires.....is this price fair?

So I was in the dealer yesterday getting all the docs prepared so when the 350 gets here next week, I can just walk in and drive out. I asked about the tires for life program and it sounded pretty good considering that these 18's wear fast.

Then, he tells me it's $1899, but will knock $200 off, so $1699 total. And, I have to have the car serviced with them exclusively otherwise, it's voided and they can keep the change.

Now, I don't mind forking over the loot if it's going to payout, but I might move in 2 years being in the military and that would be such a shame to go into he hole and never see anything in return. Or if I did get one set mounted up, I'd still be paying double the retail price for the tires.

I will driver the car about 14k miles per year or so.

So my question is if you guys think #1 if I'm getting hosed on the price of the program, and #2 if it's the right thing to do?
Old 02-27-06, 05:30 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
So I was in the dealer yesterday getting all the docs prepared so when the 350 gets here next week, I can just walk in and drive out. I asked about the tires for life program and it sounded pretty good considering that these 18's wear fast.

Then, he tells me it's $1899, but will knock $200 off, so $1699 total. And, I have to have the car serviced with them exclusively otherwise, it's voided and they can keep the change.

Now, I don't mind forking over the loot if it's going to payout, but I might move in 2 years being in the military and that would be such a shame to go into he hole and never see anything in return. Or if I did get one set mounted up, I'd still be paying double the retail price for the tires.

I will driver the car about 14k miles per year or so.

So my question is if you guys think #1 if I'm getting hosed on the price of the program, and #2 if it's the right thing to do?
Any service that you contract with a specific dealer for is a waste of money in my opinion. Unless you can bring it to any Lexus dealer, forget it. If you move, they go out of business, etc. etc., the money is gonzo.
Old 02-27-06, 05:36 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Realistically, how much is it going to cost and how often will I need to replace the tires. Most of the time, the car will be driven by my wife back and fourth to work. She drives like a grandma in a 72 Cadi.
Old 02-27-06, 07:00 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Anybody priced a replacement set yet?
Old 02-27-06, 07:07 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
Anybody priced a replacement set yet?
That's gonna depend entirely on what tires you decide to replace the stock ones with, and whether or not you've got 17" or 18" wheels.

Here are some options sorted by price:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...rformance=HPAS

If you go up a size in the rear (to 265/35) or down (to 245/45) there are some more options as well.

Last edited by mcfly; 02-27-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-27-06, 07:14 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention:

And, I have to have the car serviced with them exclusively otherwise, it's voided and they can keep the change.
That is total bullshat. If you're going to buy a plan specifically for tires, then it needs to concern tires and only tires. Having it dependent upon the rest of car's servicing is a load of crap.
Old 02-27-06, 07:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this one of those you get free tires for life if you bring it in for all scheduled maintainence deals. I never liked the sound of those. They are making loads of money off all those scheduled maintainence thing, and there are better tires out there for the price.

For me at least, I dont really believe in taking in your car for all these scheduled maintainence deals. Ive never taken my current car, not a lexus, in for these scheduled deals and Ive never had a problem. Ive been changing oil regularly, watching my fluids, changing the coolant, rotate my tires, never failed an emissions test, everything is well. Heck for the amount of money youll spend on these scheduled deals, the least they can do is give you free tires.

im in agreement with heffer and I dont like this restriction
Old 02-27-06, 08:35 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget that. Find out how much the 10K service is, then the 15K, you will know that the tire plan isnt worth it..

10K Service, change oil, check fluids
15K Service, change oil, check fluids, change HVAC filter, if you live in a desert

Also, for the 18s, I would figure its about 275/300 per tire to replace. So one change and you ear $1150 back. 2 will be 2300.

Would be worth it, IF they didnt have restrictions on the service, and you really plan on abusing the tires.
Old 02-27-06, 08:36 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Also, for the 18s, I would figure its about 275/300 per tire to replace. So one change and you ear $1150 back. 2 will be 2300.
Did you bother to read my post? Nevermind, I already know the answer. 18" replacements can be had for substantially less than $300/tire. In fact, less than $200, even for good rubber.
Old 02-27-06, 08:54 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

So far I'm not impressed with this deal. I can do the service of the car with them fine right now, but in 2 years when I'm someplace else, I'm screwed out of my new tires I already paid for.

We don't abuse the cars we have and they only get driven hard once in a while when I find a twisty road on the way to somewhere.....

On our 330i, with 17's and stock rubber, we were at 42k miles and they still had some life on them. Those were Continental tires I believe. We had one flat and it had to be replaced. Ran us about $300 or so....

I think I'm gonna go back and say for a grand I'll do it with you guys, otherwise forget it......it's not worth it.
Old 02-27-06, 08:54 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

For you, this sounds like a bad idea.

For me it would have been a great idea because I always go to the dealership (I purchase a maintenance plan) and I go thru tires quickly (already have two extra sets purchased).

For you, the answer is #1 you are getting hosed.
Old 02-27-06, 10:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You never know if you are going to leave town, or sell the car, or get into an accident, or change rims, etc. "Lifetime tires" are not a good idea. Since you will probably change your tires once every two years, just pay each time you get them changed. Who knows, perhaps you may pick up the IS720 six years from now...
Old 02-27-06, 11:06 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
Did you bother to read my post? Nevermind, I already know the answer. 18" replacements can be had for substantially less than $300/tire. In fact, less than $200, even for good rubber.

Well, I am considering the cost of installation + warranty. Did you consider that the Replacement program has a warranty for every tire, includes mount/bal and shipping?

18" Wheel Mount/bal = $30-35 per tire at NTB, because its considered a "Difficult wheel"

Warranty = $27 per tire(OUCH).

SO thats $60 per tire+ shipping. on top of the cost of the tire(which I will guess is $7-10).

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx,
184+70 =250
229+70 =300

Then you also have to consider the hassle of getting the tires from tirerack and packing 4 of them into your car to take to NTB

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-27-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-27-06, 11:09 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I never mentioned anything about mounting/balancing/tire warranty. The tires themselves are not $300 a piece, and I don't really see the need to replace the stock dunlop's with another set of the same when there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good.

Hell, ContiExtremes will run you around $140/tire (or $200/tire after all the labor is factored in) and they should last twice as long as the dunlops and you can run them all year.
Old 02-27-06, 11:30 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Well, people know how the stock tires perform... and would like to keep it that way. Mount and balance + Warranty should be included in the cost, since you get that with the Lifetime replacement plan with that dealer

I would want a different tire however, The Michelin Pilot Sport AS, with 400AA treadwear.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Tires.....is this price fair?