IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

problems with my HID's need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 03:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
doesn't matter where it's connected as the entire electrical system is still interconnected, so the electrical drain at ignition is still there. I'm not an electrician or an expert on HID, I only know that multiple HID installation instructions warned about using automatic headlights and DRL's. If you look at IS, you will notice that the stereo does not come on for several seconds after ignition--I think that's for the same reason.
I wonder how IS's with OEM HID works then??????? I know they still have the AUTO option.
Old 03-02-06, 03:20 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, I have mine set on auto and it works fine and I like it like that. If that shortens the life of the ballasts, so be it. I'll go buy some new ones next year...
Old 03-02-06, 03:21 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Auto should have no issue at all as the car cuts power to all accessories while the starter is running. Pretty much all cars do this, so when the starter is engaged, most things shut off, like the radio, fan, lights etc for the few seconds while the car starts to minimize drain on the battery.
Old 03-02-06, 04:29 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Xenondepot Kit on my Chevy and always keep it on Auto for the lights. In 3 years, I've never had any issues with them not starting. Blown a couple fuses for unknown reasons though.....
Old 03-03-06, 06:16 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Hey ChrisM910, what brand/type of aftermarket HID to you have? Usually if you get a decent branded HID kit, you should have no problem leaving the lights on AUTO. I had my aftermarket 8000k HIDs for over 4months and I always leave mines on Auto with no problems. What you need to do now is tell the place where you got it from, that you talked to few of your friends and they all said leaving on Auto shouldn't have cause the failure. Only if you constantly switch it on and off w/ out letting it warm up will cause it to blow out. Tell them that either the bulb went out on you or the installation was not done properly (put it in a nice way) to cause the failure therefore, you need a warranty replacement.

What the store said about starting your car with the lights on, will not crank enough electricity is a bunch of bolony on the Lexus. The IS's has a big battery compare to those economic cars with smaller ones. So leaving it on while starting your IS is not a problem for the car; thats why they even have the Auto feature.

Last edited by loftus112; 03-03-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-03-06, 06:24 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also leave mine on auto. Mine was just simple plug and play straight into the light harness. But it does require a lot of juice from the battery to turn on the HID bulb.
Old 03-03-06, 01:44 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my tints from JR Electronics 2 days ago... good people there. i spoke with Ricky. he's the man at that place
Old 03-03-06, 06:07 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

If your "kit" came with an aftermarket harness then you will have no problem. A seperate harness for the hid lights is hooked directly to the battery and grounded directly to the car. Now the relay is acvited by less then .5 watt of energy that can be tapped from either of the original headlight plugs. I dont have an IS yet If your "kit" came with an aftermarket harness then you will have no problem. A seperate harness for the hid lights is hooked directly to the battery and grounded directly to the car. Now the relay is acvited by less then .5 watt of energy that can be tapped from either of the original headlight plugs. I dont have an IS yet but I would assume the alternators on both hid and none-hid IS models are the same.

Now keeping that in mind if the headlights are left on auto with factory HID is headlights and the headlights turn on right away when the car is started, that means the alternator puts out enough amps to cover the cold start of the HID system and provide sufficient amprage to the rest of the vehicle. So in all you will only be using .5 watts from your original headlight harness to activate the HID lights. Now like I asked before, what is the brand of your ballast? most OEM ballast will not have a problem firing up the lights. So all in all make sure the ballast are grounded properly, because the ground wirring has to handle about the same ammount of energy as the positive terminal.
Old 03-03-06, 07:29 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
Hey ChrisM910, what brand/type of aftermarket HID to you have? Usually if you get a decent branded HID kit, you should have no problem leaving the lights on AUTO. I had my aftermarket 8000k HIDs for over 4months and I always leave mines on Auto with no problems. What you need to do now is tell the place where you got it from, that you talked to few of your friends and they all said leaving on Auto shouldn't have cause the failure. Only if you constantly switch it on and off w/ out letting it warm up will cause it to blow out. Tell them that either the bulb went out on you or the installation was not done properly (put it in a nice way) to cause the failure therefore, you need a warranty replacement.

What the store said about starting your car with the lights on, will not crank enough electricity is a bunch of bolony on the Lexus. The IS's has a big battery compare to those economic cars with smaller ones. So leaving it on while starting your IS is not a problem for the car; thats why they even have the Auto feature.
thanks for that when i went back they disconnected everything and plugged it back in and so far no problems, i cant tell you what brand they are because im not home, ill be back home on sunday morning and then ill repost but thanks for the info
Old 03-03-06, 07:29 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by car_lost
i just got my tints from JR Electronics 2 days ago... good people there. i spoke with Ricky. he's the man at that place
yeah thats where i got my tints, HID's, and hacked the nav and where im probably going to get my rims too there good there
Old 03-04-06, 06:16 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

I am so PISSED OFF right now, my *****in HID driver side headlight went off again. What the *****!!!!, now i have to wait until monday and go back again to fix it for the 3rd time. this is bull caki. These people at JR Electronics better do something for me and do it right because this is already rediculous. Im going to have to waste my whole day off waiting for that to be fixed. I tell you this is unbelievable I cant even begin to tell you how mad i am DAMN....well im sorry for venting but i just had to because its bull already,

thanks for listening

AHHHH
Old 03-04-06, 07:12 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel about having to go back over and over to get things fixed... GL to you man.
Old 03-04-06, 11:59 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChrisM910
I am so PISSED OFF right now, my *****in HID driver side headlight went off again. What the *****!!!!, now i have to wait until monday and go back again to fix it for the 3rd time. this is bull caki. These people at JR Electronics better do something for me and do it right because this is already rediculous. Im going to have to waste my whole day off waiting for that to be fixed. I tell you this is unbelievable I cant even begin to tell you how mad i am DAMN....well im sorry for venting but i just had to because its bull already,

thanks for listening

AHHHH
BTW You're Welcome Chris. And Man it blown again!! Those are the type of lessons people cough out a little more loot to get the better stuffs to save the headache down the road and end up spending more $$ and time. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying maybe JR sold you a crappy HID kit or their installation just plain suXors. Have them just replace the whole damn thing to end your fustration man or better yet, if you can pay a little bit more for a kit upgrade.
Old 03-07-06, 02:12 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
BTW You're Welcome Chris. And Man it blown again!! Those are the type of lessons people cough out a little more loot to get the better stuffs to save the headache down the road and end up spending more $$ and time. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying maybe JR sold you a crappy HID kit or their installation just plain suXors. Have them just replace the whole damn thing to end your fustration man or better yet, if you can pay a little bit more for a kit upgrade.
you know what there is no problems because its under warrenty, its just driving me crazy, i was going to go on monday to take care of it but i wanted to take a day to relax, (been hectik at work) so i decided to go to the beach instead of fixing it, but i will be back there tomorrow morning when i get home and make sure they replace that whole side, i dont think its that i got cheap hid i just think that one ballast is a lemon because i have absolutley no problem with any of the other lights and my lil brother has the same ones on his bmw and he has never had a problem with them, just bad luck i guess.
They do very good business there its just bad luck on my part i guess. they have been very professional and they dont give me a hard time whenever i go there so atleast in that aspect i cant complain, its just a lemon ballast thats all i can say

i will update again when/if they ever get fixed
Thanks for letting me vent i feel much better