IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Consumer Reports reviews "Upscale Sedans":

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 06:44 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S L I C K
My 2005 TL is a piece of garbage. My parents baught it for me because I needed a "beater" for college and it's just that. I can't believe CR ranked the TL higher than the IS.
An 05 TL is a "piece of garbage" and a "beater for college"? Man, I'm only 35, but things have definitely changed from when I was in college!
Old 03-02-06, 06:53 PM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by Foxberry
An 05 TL is a "piece of garbage" and a "beater for college"? Man, I'm only 35, but things have definitely changed from when I was in college!
No kidding. I'm 32 and I had to BUY an Integra when I was in college. Imagine the disgrace at having to spend my own money on such an unworthy POS.
Old 03-02-06, 07:50 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I would have to say that Honda/Acura just did ...

a clean sweep of the Consumer's Reports best picks from the frugal but roomy Civic to the Acura TL. They even won a truck category and the Odyssey as best Mini Van. That's very impressive. At least Consumer Reports actually goes out to a dealer and buys the cars just like anyone else and then tests the Hell out of them. They are an excellent indicator of Initial Quality even though that is what the JD Power surveys measure. CR also does both passive and dynamic safety testing so they really find out how good the car is at avoiding an accident. They have always been kind to the Toyota/Lexus. The Highlander Hybrid made the top ten.
So did Infiniti M35 and FX35. They loved the Suburu SI and the Forrester too.

In their numerical rating of the IS250 I would have to agree that was a fair assessment. They didn't seem starstruck by the BMW pedigree though they usually are kind to the 3 Series. The Americans were conspicuously absent. Many of the Honda winners are domestically produced so this isn't an anti American workmanship criticism. The Management of the so called Big Three should take full responsibility and vow to compete in the future...Newsflash.. Honda up 9% and Toyota up 8% so far this year. A lot of it is good ole' trucks too. When the rest of the new models arrive it will signal more market share loss for Detroit. Even the Detroit auto show seemed like a wake at the American exhibitors. I'm looking forward now to the NY Intntl and the LS600h....

Good Job Consumers, bad job Detroit.

Rock
Old 03-02-06, 08:38 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

My 2005 TL is a piece of garbage. My parents baught it for me because I needed a "beater" for college and it's just that. I can't believe CR ranked the TL higher than the IS.
................... ......................... ................................
Old 03-06-06, 11:06 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

True dat Foxberry... I've had to work for every penny I've had and every car I've owned!

Maybe I'm just jealous of the "beater TL"! I had an avocado green Plymouth Volare in college!!!
Old 03-06-06, 12:04 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

wid im with u on that one but i culdnt help looking at ur sig... u got the new m5????????????? please fill me in.. do u love it did u hit he track yet omg that car is greattttt lol
Old 03-06-06, 12:24 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
wid im with u on that one but i culdnt help looking at ur sig... u got the new m5????????????? please fill me in.. do u love it did u hit he track yet omg that car is greattttt lol
Thanks man. M5 is incredible - no track yet... my wife has taken a liking to it - she drives it more than me. Luckily, she doesn't know about 500HP mode... I keep it tuned down a bit for her.
Old 03-06-06, 07:59 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
Thanks man. M5 is incredible - no track yet... my wife has taken a liking to it - she drives it more than me. Luckily, she doesn't know about 500HP mode... I keep it tuned down a bit for her.
Wid...who drives the NSX and 300C SRT-8?
Old 03-06-06, 08:55 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndrewDC
Acura winning this generic segment makes sense. Why? Because rather than make one entry level car that's supposed to blandly fit both the molds of sports and entry-level luxury, Lexus makes one of each. While this may not win these worthless awards, I believe Lexus's approach is much better.
i'd say they win becuase u get SO MUCH for ur money with them. its also a quality car if track-like performance isn't want ur going for
Old 03-06-06, 10:49 PM
AndrewDC
Rookie

Originally Posted by uschardcor
i'd say they win becuase u get SO MUCH for ur money with them. its also a quality car if track-like performance isn't want ur going for
I disagree. If someone wanted more luxury, they could go for the ES. If someone wanted more sporty characteristics, they could go for the IS. Until the IS300, ES had to straddle this line like Acura does with the TL. Now, you can pick between two cars in one price bracket from the same company.

Acura compromises between the two, and their entry looks great in a "upscale sedan" comparison, but not to my wallet.
I don't see how the Acura offers SO MUCH more than Lexus.
Old 03-07-06, 09:13 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

I disagree. If someone wanted more luxury, they could go for the ES. If someone wanted more sporty characteristics, they could go for the IS. Until the IS300, ES had to straddle this line like Acura does with the TL. Now, you can pick between two cars in one price bracket from the same company.

Acura compromises between the two, and their entry looks great in a "upscale sedan" comparison, but not to my wallet.
I don't see how the Acura offers SO MUCH more than Lexus.
Acura offers a well rounded machine, no doubt. You mention the ES and the IS above for luxury and sportiness - but Acura wraps them all into one car.

IS 350 isn't really a comparable car with the TL - you're looking at 2 different sizes and price ranges.
Old 03-07-06, 09:16 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Wid...who drives the NSX and 300C SRT-8?
NSX is a fine weather weekend friend that sits in a heated garage most of the time. I use SRT8 when driving with 3 or more people since it's got more space.
Old 03-07-06, 09:37 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

hmmmmmmm, wow.
Old 03-07-06, 09:23 PM
AndrewDC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
Acura offers a well rounded machine, no doubt. You mention the ES and the IS above for luxury and sportiness - but Acura wraps them all into one car.

IS 350 isn't really a comparable car with the TL - you're looking at 2 different sizes and price ranges.
You just restated what I wrote. However, where I believe we differ is that I think Lexus's approach is better.

The initial post was concerning the IS250, not the 350.
Old 03-13-06, 08:36 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

You just restated what I wrote. However, where I believe we differ is that I think Lexus's approach is better.

The initial post was concerning the IS250, not the 350.
Hands down, I'd take a TL over the IS250...