IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Luxury Package vs Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 02:13 PM
heasyrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Package vs Sport Package

Hello everybody! Does anyone know for sure if the IS in the sport package is lower than in the luxury package w/ the 18's? I know the sport package has a sport tuned ride, but, does it actually lower it some too? I Think I have seen from a user that it was lower, but, I don't see it in any of the official specs.

Thanks
Old 03-03-06, 02:44 PM
Langdell
Driver

Yes, by half an inch.
Old 03-03-06, 02:45 PM
allabt350
Driver School Candidate

The Sport package is in fact lower than the Luxury package since it will lower your car about 1/2". You may want to test drive both set up to see which set up you may prefer, as the Sport Springs are stiffer.
Old 03-03-06, 06:37 PM
heasyrider
Rookie

Thanks for the responses. I think I can notice the lowering. To my eye, I like it the best slightly lowered. I agree that the test driving will be very important. If I am right, I think my biggest decision will be to decide if I want wood interior trim or 1/2 inch lower.

Thanks, again!
Old 03-06-06, 08:31 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Hey Guys & Gals, I'm considering ordering a 350 w/ sport package, but need some opinions and advice on the quality of ride. How does the ride quality differ from the luxury package and the sport package. I realize the sport has a .5" drop. I already test drove the 350, but there are no sport packages available in the midwest, so I cant test drive a sport before ordering. I like a relatively stiff suspension, but not so stiff that it becomes irritating after feeling every bump & crease in the road.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion, but especially those that have driven both. Thanks
Old 03-06-06, 08:45 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
Hey Guys & Gals, I'm considering ordering a 350 w/ sport package, but need some opinions and advice on the quality of ride. How does the ride quality differ from the luxury package and the sport package. I realize the sport has a .5" drop. I already test drove the 350, but there are no sport packages available in the midwest, so I cant test drive a sport before ordering. I like a relatively stiff suspension, but not so stiff that it becomes irritating after feeling every bump & crease in the road.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion, but especially those that have driven both. Thanks
Its a pretty firm ride, from a scale of 1-10,, 1 being a cadilac and 10 being a corvette (on sport setting),, its probably a 6 or 7.
Old 03-06-06, 02:08 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven both non-sport and sport packaged IS350's.

I'll tell you that the Sport Package is definately a bit stiffer, but it's not much stiffer IMO. But maybe I'm just used to performance suspension. The non-sport definately lacked alot during cornering.

It really really depends on what your looking for here. The slight performance advantage, or a sunshade.
Old 03-06-06, 03:46 PM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I realize that the sport vs lux suspension is a matter of preference, but I'm just concerned that the stiffer suspension may become irritating and uncomfortable after a while.
Old 03-06-06, 03:58 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I realize that the sport vs lux suspension is a matter of preference, but I'm just concerned that the stiffer suspension may become irritating and uncomfortable after a while.
It should be okay. The new IS's seats are much more cushier than the old IS300's, alot of shock absorbers there.

I actually think the old IS300 was more rougher than the sport packaged IS. Either way, you can't go wrong. If you don't plan on modifying the car (i.e. coilovers, wheels & tires), I would opt for the Sport Package.
Old 03-06-06, 06:00 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You seem the right profile for the Sport package...

It's not harsh. We have an IS350 demo that has the Sport package and by mistake the wood interior. It has 700 miles on it and it has "broken in". The ride is smooth and the car looks good. If only it had the illuminated scuff plates then it would be perfect.

Rock
Old 03-06-06, 08:41 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

The sport package is definately not harsh at all and it's not uncomfortable.

When I went for my test ride, all they had in the 350 was the sport package.
I was reluctant to test drive it at first because I wanted a lux model.
After taking it out anyway, I was surprized at how smooth it was.
Even buckled highway expansion joints were not a problem. On the
back road part of my test drive there was a sharp hair pin turn. It
cornered so flat without body roll that I was sold on the sport package.
From that point on I was affraid to loose some of that great handling
by ordering the lux package. So I went with the sport after all, and
this is after being used to driving a Lincoln most of the time. Now my Trans
Am and Vette was on the harsh side.
Old 03-07-06, 02:20 PM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Thanks for all the feedback. That really makes me feel alot better.
Old 03-07-06, 06:39 PM
QikSilvr
Driver

I have had the 2001 Vette, 2002 & 2004 M3. This one with the sport pkg is still softer.
Old 03-07-06, 07:05 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default 350 sport w/wood

Originally Posted by Rockville
It's not harsh. We have an IS350 demo that has the Sport package and by mistake the wood interior. It has 700 miles on it and it has "broken in". The ride is smooth and the car looks good. If only it had the illuminated scuff plates then it would be perfect.

Rock
I can't believe you still haven't sold it. A sport model w/wood -- maybe I'm the only freak out there that would like that combo. So, does it have heated/vented seats too?

Too bad it's not a manual! Guess that's why I ordered 250.
Old 03-07-06, 07:19 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

You will be ok with the sports package. I drove both in Chicago. While I first wanted the sports package I settled on the Lux. While I wanted the .5 drop I did not care the the look of sports pkg console. I figured if I was going to spend 40+ I wanted wood and all the lux items. And at my age if I really want to take corners fast I'd get something that takes them at a higher "g" than the IS. So for me it was an easy switch. I drive an S60R in sports mode with 18's and with NE roads its rough. I think the IS in sport will not be as rough but you will feel the ride more than the Lux on our roads. Go with your heart. Don't compromise. Get what you want. You will enjoy the car with either package.