LexFather

Thumbs up 1SICKSCANS! IS 250 MANUAL short take in Car and Driver

Please buy the April Issue!!

Old 03-03-06, 08:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for the post.

Wow, this is the first car rag to spill the beans on how to shut off the stability control system.
Old 03-03-06, 09:30 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like these days I read half the magazine via online scans before the mag ever hits my mailbox.

Thanx for the scan, Sick.
Old 03-03-06, 09:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Sick! You're working overtime with these scans!!!
Old 03-03-06, 09:40 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Default What is the 0-60?

I thought the auto is250 was quicker than the manual, and the 0-60 was 7.9secs. The mag states it is 7.1? I've also read 7.5. What is the more accurate number?
Old 03-03-06, 10:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexAppeal
I thought the auto is250 was quicker than the manual, and the 0-60 was 7.9secs. The mag states it is 7.1? I've also read 7.5. What is the more accurate number?
The method I use is averaging those numbers out, to really give you a fair number.

Most people just quote the fastest time they can get their hands on

If a 7.1 is possible, with lighter wheels, a couple mods, maybe take out the spare, you can squeak in the high 6s, 6.8/6.9 on a nice cold day and with proper tires.
Old 03-04-06, 12:25 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Talk about gutless...and these are the "weather neutralized" and typically aggressive C&D numbers. 8.4 sec in the street start! I'd be willing to bet that under most conditions you'd see 0-100 times in the high 19/low 20 range and quarter mile runs close to 16 sec (I don't pay much attention to 0-60...5-60 is a much better indicator of how the car performs on the street at legal speeds). My old 323i 5 speed (albeit not entirely stock) would have absolutely no trouble running with that thing.

Lexus really needs to dump this car in favor of a more powerful alternative. Though I'll be the first to say that power is secondary, 15 second quarter miles are just not acceptable in today's sport sedan market.
Old 03-04-06, 12:28 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Talk about gutless...and these are the "weather neutralized" and typically aggressive C&D numbers. 8.4 sec in the street start! I'd be willing to bet that under most conditions you'd see 0-100 times in the high 19/low 20 range and quarter mile runs close to 16 sec. My old 323i 5 speed (albeit not entirely stock) would have absolutely no trouble running with that thing.

Lexus really needs to dump this car in favor of a more powerful alternative. Though I'll be the first to say that power is secondary, 15 second quarter miles are just not acceptable in today's sport sedan market.
that's what the 350 is for. 250 is more econo sport. buyers know this before purchasing this vehicle. if they wanted fast, they would have chosen the350.
Old 03-04-06, 05:20 AM
knox_sport
Driver

Default how's YOUR clutch?

For those few IS 250 owners with a M/T...

1.) How many miles do you have now?
2.) Does the clutch still engage abruptly like in the article?

The article makes me wonder if I made a wise decision to get a M/T. The clutch engaged exactly as described in the car I test drove. But I figured it was just another clutch I'd have to get used to.

I also have to wonder how C&D's impression of car would have differed if the car were on the 18" alloys instead of the 17's in the picture. (And I assume the picture represents the car they actually test drove -- only b/c most M/T on allocation with a Premium package have 17's, although I hear that may be changing).

In some cases, I'm thinking you have to take these reviews with a grain of salt. The bent of most driver magazines seems to be the 3-series or nothing else. And there's always something to nitpick, even if the "average" driver can't find a thing wrong...

Last edited by knox_sport; 03-04-06 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 06:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Talk about gutless...and these are the "weather neutralized" and typically aggressive C&D numbers. 8.4 sec in the street start! I'd be willing to bet that under most conditions you'd see 0-100 times in the high 19/low 20 range and quarter mile runs close to 16 sec (I don't pay much attention to 0-60...5-60 is a much better indicator of how the car performs on the street at legal speeds). My old 323i 5 speed (albeit not entirely stock) would have absolutely no trouble running with that thing.

BMW needs 3.0 liters to get 215hp. LExus needs 2.5 to get 204hp. BMW just dumped the 189hp 325. I wish the IS could lose more weight, is anything.

Most in this class buy 325s and IS 250, C240s etc, not HP freaks.

Would it be great for the IS 250 to have more power? Yes, certainly. BUt it has more than enough power to get out its own way in traffic.

The IS 250s priorites are not speed, but luxury, comfort and the Lexus quiet/reliability experience. THey car will be many people entry level/first Lexus.

If you want more speed, that is why you CAN choose the 350 if you want to dump more $$$$.

So its not like the 250 is the only choice.
Old 03-04-06, 07:18 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you want more speed, that is why you CAN choose the 350 if you want to dump more $$$$.
But as this and many other reviews have pointed out, if you choose the IS350 you are also dumping the manual transmission, which is a requirement for some buyers in this segment.
Old 03-04-06, 07:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bichon
But as this and many other reviews have pointed out, if you choose the IS350 you are also dumping the manual transmission, which is a requirement for some buyers in this segment.
Let me say I am not defending Lexus 100% here. They simply didn't make an IS 350 manual, they HAVE the money, but didn't CHOOSE to do it.

On the other hand, Rockville has stated, Lexus makes a manual AGAINL
ES 300
SC 300
IS 300
IS 250

And there are no buyers for this car, they will increase IS 350 production and decrease manual production as buyers ,or lack of them, are not there.

Would sales increase if the IS 250 had more power as a manual? Surely
Would Lexus sell IS 350 manuals? Surely

I guess they felt the small sales didn't justify the cost.

Which is a typical "Lexus' decision.

That is where BMW has their market, they are the only company to offer manuals in most engine choices.

Thus, they are BMW.
Old 03-04-06, 07:52 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

The sentence that pops out for me is the comparison regarding rear seating, says BMW has 41 cubit feet to 34 for the IS, that is 4 inches more legroom for the BMW. Still I would never buy the BMW 3 series, dash is too sterile and uninviting.

I didn't realize it was that much difference in legroom. That is where I think Lexus messed up, after all this is a sedan they created but you really have to consider it a coupe with regard to tranporting passengers. My SC400 tranports rear passangers for short jaunts rather nicely with ample leg room, just wished the new IS had 4 more inches of leg room when they built it.
Old 03-04-06, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
The sentence that pops out for me is the comparison regarding rear seating, says BMW has 41 cubit feet to 34 for the IS, that is 4 inches more legroom for the BMW. Still I would never buy the BMW 3 series, dash is too sterile and uninviting.

I didn't realize it was that much difference in legroom. That is where I think Lexus messed up, after all this is a sedan they created but you really have to consider it a coupe with regard to tranporting passengers. My SC400 tranports rear passangers for short jaunts rather nicely with ample leg room, just wished the new IS had 4 more inches of leg room when they built it.
I find it funny when they want a sports sedan, they complain about the sport of Lexus. When the Lexus is sporty, oh snap, the backseat is crap.

lol, what a circle.

IMO, the backseat is cramped as hell, when the seats in the front are all the way back. I think it damn near touches the backseat, almost like a coupe.

Now for ME, I love it, I am 6"5, I rarely would haev people in the back, so letting the front seats move like that is a huge plus. To this day, I was amazed at the legroom of the IS, both generations.

Since most people are shorter than me, they can move the seat forward and people can fit in the back.

Overall, one way or the other, the backseat is not a bright spot of the 2IS. You want rear seat room, I guess they'll point you to the ES 350
Old 03-04-06, 09:23 AM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW needs 3.0 liters to get 215hp. LExus needs 2.5 to get 204hp. BMW just dumped the 189hp 325. I wish the IS could lose more weight, is anything.

Most in this class buy 325s and IS 250, C240s etc, not HP freaks.
I love the IS and all, but horsepower doesn't tell the story here. First of all, this is the detuned 330i engine--yes, that makes 255-hp. And while it's true that BMW's 325i 3.0L makes 215-hp, it more than makes up for it with it's powerband. Case in point: C&D tested the new 325i and acceleration, on average, was about a second quicker. On paper, there is only a 11-hp difference, but on the road, the BMW will walk the IS250.

While the IS350 vs 330i comparisons are fun, the reality is that most car buyers are buying IS250s and 325i's. The IS350 is a formidable competitor to the 330i because of it's ridiculously strong powerplant--this is simply not the case when comparing the lower-end models. With BMW on the verge of upping the ante with the new base 328i (which will widen BMW's performance and marketshare lead), Lexus IS250 will be even more relatively underpowered, facing off a freshened (and likely lower cost) G35 .

Quick Reply: 1SICKSCANS! IS 250 MANUAL short take in Car and Driver