IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Someone hit my car, at work, in an empty lot

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 01:54 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Since it wasn't your fault, it won't affect your insurance at all. You don't even need to get them involved, just talk to her insurance company.
Assuming he has collision coverage, his own insurance company would probably settle the claim more quickly and with less hassle. Then his company will go after the woman's insurance company and subrogate the claim. In this instance, he's likely to get the check to repair the car (less his collision deductible) in a few days. (His deductible will be returned after the claim has been subrogated.) Insurance companies typically treat their own insureds better than they treat external claimants. There really isn't an advantage to dealing directly with the woman's insurance company -- it won't prevent his own company from finding out about the loss, since all insurance companies report to and monitor the NICB database.
Old 03-06-06, 02:17 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to nationwide, I will get the check tommorrow. I am going to fight with the adjusters tommorrow. Though if I am not satisfied, would my insurance company fight for me? I want to get the outer door shell replaced.

And what about the added losses in value on the car. I realize that cars depreciate, but my car probably just lost 2K more.

And what about my clearbra. Lindsay Lexus wanted 1200 for a new clear bra.

I also want paint that matches.
Old 03-06-06, 02:21 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Assuming he has collision coverage, his own insurance company would probably settle the claim more quickly and with less hassle. Then his company will go after the woman's insurance company and subrogate the claim. In this instance, he's likely to get the check to repair the car (less his collision deductible) in a few days. (His deductible will be returned after the claim has been subrogated.) Insurance companies typically treat their own insureds better than they treat external claimants. There really isn't an advantage to dealing directly with the woman's insurance company -- it won't prevent his own company from finding out about the loss, since all insurance companies report to and monitor the NICB database.
Yeah, I know, but I was thinking if he got into 3 other accidents already maybe he doesn't want insurance company to know. Even though this won't affect him because he wasn't at fault, if his account is on the fence at renewall time, why take any chances?
Old 03-06-06, 03:39 PM
allabt350
Driver School Candidate

I know the feeling, My Mercedes-Benz was parked in an empty parking lot (Backed in) and it looked like a truck had backed into my left fender. The whole piece had to be replaced but the insurance company took care of it. Bring it to the dealer's Autobody workshop if they have one and drive the loaner car until its fixed. Just hang in there man.
Old 03-06-06, 06:06 PM
Bloodwings
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about your IS, but speaking of parking in empty spaces. I went grocery shopping with my new IS on Sunday morning around 8am, few shoppers and few cars/SUV. I parked as far as possible, but not where to a point that it looks like I'm selling the car on the parking lot. I parked on higher ground, so un-occupied carts wouldn't be sliding down. When I came back from shopping which took 20 minutes at most, I found I had company. Luckily no damage, I don't know if the SUV was appreciating the car, or being an annoyance. Good Luck, its only a matter of time when your car is back to where it was.
Attached Thumbnails Someone hit my car, at work, in an empty lot-1.jpg  
Old 03-06-06, 06:31 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

You can have the best shop in the world paint your car and it still wont match 100%. Thats why they blend. They paint more then is required so the human eye doesnt notice a dramatic change. So if the blend a big section, In this case your entire door and fender will get completely painted. It sucks I know. But that is the risk of having a new car. I know a few people that buy used cars cuz they dont want anything like this to happen to their brand new car.
Old 03-06-06, 08:03 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bloodwings
Sorry about your IS, but speaking of parking in empty spaces. I went grocery shopping with my new IS on Sunday morning around 8am, few shoppers and few cars/SUV. I parked as far as possible, but not where to a point that it looks like I'm selling the car on the parking lot. I parked on higher ground, so un-occupied carts wouldn't be sliding down. When I came back from shopping which took 20 minutes at most, I found I had company. Luckily no damage, I don't know if the SUV was appreciating the car, or being an annoyance. Good Luck, its only a matter of time when your car is back to where it was.
And you were armed with the digital camera! I'm sure they were being a wise-guy parking right next to you like that.
Old 03-06-06, 08:57 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I can't see how someone can hit you parked out in the middle of no where like that.

As far as that SUV parking right next to you like that. That's just straight up annoying. I think there was a TV commercial for Maaco that did just that.
Old 03-06-06, 09:25 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I can't see how someone can hit you parked out in the middle of no where like that.

As far as that SUV parking right next to you like that. That's just straight up annoying. I think there was a TV commercial for Maaco that did just that.
Except in the commercial, it was some old junker that was throwing out all kinds of smoke. Kind of funny, but not when a lump like that parks next to you.

Last edited by BobsGX; 03-07-06 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 07:24 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodwings
I've always wondered why people did that.... if anyone knows why please enlighten me... I just can't understand why people would park so far and away and even next to a shiny car. I guess those people would be trying to be asses and make you mad, but it happens all the time. Maybe there's something that I just don't get since it happens so often.
Old 03-07-06, 09:35 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

1) I am sorry about your situation.

2) I agree with Bichon, that you should work with your insurance company (you are their customer and will work to meet your expectations, the other company will just try to minimize their expense).

3) Regarding the repair, the replace the door skin approach may not be in the cards.

I tried to have the door skin replaced once and my body shop guy said " He could not guarantee the alignment for the new door skin would be as good as that coming from the factory and based on the damage, insurance would not pay for that level of repair"

4) Good Luck with having things resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 03-07-06, 09:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yeah, I know, but I was thinking if he got into 3 other accidents already maybe he doesn't want insurance company to know. Even though this won't affect him because he wasn't at fault, if his account is on the fence at renewall time, why take any chances?
Won't work, because virtually all insurance companies report their claims to NICB ISO, where they become part of the ISO ClaimSearch database. This database is to the insurance industry what Experian/TransUnion/Equifax are to the credit industry. The only way that his insurance company wouldn't know would be if the woman paid him out-of-pocket.
Old 03-07-06, 10:16 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
According to nationwide, I will get the check tommorrow. I am going to fight with the adjusters tommorrow. Though if I am not satisfied, would my insurance company fight for me? I want to get the outer door shell replaced.

And what about the added losses in value on the car. I realize that cars depreciate, but my car probably just lost 2K more.

And what about my clearbra. Lindsay Lexus wanted 1200 for a new clear bra.

I also want paint that matches.
I am sorry for your loss and completely understand your frustration. IS is an excellent car and deserves the best. But s..t happens and cars get into accidents. According to the posted pictures, the damage is not that bad. I don’t think you need a new door skin and I would advise against it anyway. I had this done on my Lexus and the alignment is not perfect. Also the corrosion protection on the new weld spots is not factory and two years down the road you might develop rust. See if the body shop can repair the door and maybe replace the fender. They will probably paint/blend the door, paint the fender, paint/blend the hood. If the fender is not replaced, you might get away with just the door and fender being painted/blended. Once again, this is a very minor damage and I would not lose any sleep over it.

Regarding the Clearbra, have your insurance pay for it. I think it is professional application and should be covered. But I don't know for sure. And the depreciation you can completely forget about unless you sue the old lady. All cars depreciate with time but how much with accidents is uncertain. You are not going to get a savage title after this accident and if the car is fixed properly noone might ever know.
Old 03-07-06, 10:16 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
I've always wondered why people did that.... if anyone knows why please enlighten me... I just can't understand why people would park so far and away and even next to a shiny car. I guess those people would be trying to be asses and make you mad, but it happens all the time. Maybe there's something that I just don't get since it happens so often.
sometimes, if you're afraid your car is going to be vandalized, you park next to a nicer one so that they go after that one instead... (or at worst case, ...first)
Old 03-07-06, 11:01 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StasGS4
I am sorry for your loss and completely understand your frustration. IS is an excellent car and deserves the best. But s..t happens and cars get into accidents. According to the posted pictures, the damage is not that bad. I don’t think you need a new door skin and I would advise against it anyway. I had this done on my Lexus and the alignment is not perfect. Also the corrosion protection on the new weld spots is not factory and two years down the road you might develop rust. See if the body shop can repair the door and maybe replace the fender. They will probably paint/blend the door, paint the fender, paint/blend the hood. If the fender is not replaced, you might get away with just the door and fender being painted/blended. Once again, this is a very minor damage and I would not lose any sleep over it.

Regarding the Clearbra, have your insurance pay for it. I think it is professional application and should be covered. But I don't know for sure. And the depreciation you can completely forget about unless you sue the old lady. All cars depreciate with time but how much with accidents is uncertain. You are not going to get a savage title after this accident and if the car is fixed properly noone might ever know.
I am going to do whatever it takes to get my dimished value. I will get a quote from Carmax, to find out the difference in values of my repaired vehicle, vs a vechicle that is immaculate, like my car was. =(

Also, after checking around, no shop will offer me a 100% match without blending... which is really not a match. They have to blend the hood, giving a slight haze. Supposidly only few can see.... yeah right. They cant restpre the car to even look like preaccident condition.

What can I do in that situation. Damn, I should have bought pearl white. THen I wouldnt care as much.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my car, at work, in an empty lot