IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does anyone really watch movies in their IS (in park)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06 | 12:02 PM
Langdell
Driver

Default Does anyone really watch movies in their IS (in park)?

I posed this question in another thread, but it is OT there, so I thought I'd start one on this real topic. Putting aside doing the "Nav hack" and playing movies while driving, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually sat in their car and watched a whole, full-length movie. If so, do you (1) have the engine running or (2) have the car in ACC mode? If (1), doesn't it burn a lot of gas? And does the engine get hot at all? Maybe someone can correct me, but it just seems to me like letting a car idle for 2 hours can't be real goood for the engine. If (2), any concerns re running the battery down?

I have been wondering about this ever since I first read about the IS DVD play feature. I'd like to know how practical it really is in case I ever have to wait around somewhere for a couple hours and feel the desire to pass the time with a movie.
Old 03-04-06 | 12:11 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by Langdell
I posed this question in another thread, but it is OT there, so I thought I'd start one on this real topic. Putting aside doing the "Nav hack" and playing movies while driving, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually sat in their car and watched a whole, full-length movie. If so, do you (1) have the engine running or (2) have the car in ACC mode? If (1), doesn't it burn a lot of gas? And does the engine get hot at all? Maybe someone can correct me, but it just seems to me like letting a car idle for 2 hours can't be real goood for the engine. If (2), any concerns re running the battery down?

I have been wondering about this ever since I first read about the IS DVD play feature. I'd like to know how practical it really is in case I ever have to wait around somewhere for a couple hours and feel the desire to pass the time with a movie.
good questions i really dont know, but if you are going to go through the hassel of sitting in your car to watch a movie, then why not just hack it and not have to worry about none of that.
Old 03-04-06 | 12:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Many cars idle in heavy traffic for 2 hours; but most movies are 90 minutes.

I have never watched the entire movie yet but if I were to do this, I would shut the car off. Your battery is not going to drain in 2 hours from an accessory playing.
Old 03-04-06 | 04:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I've only played DVDs in park to (1) prove that I paid $1k extra for something legitimate and (2) to impress the socks off of my friends when they get in the car.
Old 03-04-06 | 04:44 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default It's more of a demo of the sound system and ....

VGA monitor's capabilities. Not for a cheap date It is just a good surround sound source. You can navigate to particular scenes and just play a sample. When I do this it really draws a crowd and the sub starts pumping. People want to see what's going on... Let's say you were waiting for somebody to arrive and you were just killing time. Watching a movie in surround would be a nice alternative. The DVD-audio playback is equally good just without the screen image. You can enjoy that while driving....It's not a feature that you need but it's really dramatic to see/hear in 7.1 surround sound.

Rock
Old 03-04-06 | 04:47 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I've only played DVDs in park to (1) prove that I paid $1k extra for something legitimate and (2) to impress the socks off of my friends when they get in the car.
Right on! I love telling friends I have surround sound IN MY CAR (as well as three systems at home)
Old 03-04-06 | 05:00 PM
Kermee
Advanced

What we really need are bench seats like from say.... a 1970 Chevelle... for the front row. For those Saturday nights with the significant other...

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 03-04-06 | 05:06 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kermee
What we really need are bench seats like from say.... a 1970 Chevelle... for the front row. For those Saturday nights with the significant other...

Cheers,
Kermee
I like where this is going.
Old 03-04-06 | 06:24 PM
maz
Lead Lap

This is a little off topic but, does the new IS have a "voltmeter" that indicates the battery level like in the old IS. It was in the instrument cluster before, maybe it's in the nav now.
Old 03-04-06 | 06:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by maz
This is a little off topic but, does the new IS have a "voltmeter" that indicates the battery level like in the old IS. It was in the instrument cluster before, maybe it's in the nav now.
Unfortunately no. The voltmeter is not an available feature on the new IS.
Old 03-04-06 | 06:40 PM
casey225
Pole Position

No. I don't have a car to watch one on, well, not a Lexus, anyway. I have a 36" minimum screen size requirement before I will watch a movie .
Old 03-04-06 | 08:13 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Default no

i watch them in park sometimes...my passengers watch while driving. its all about the nav hack!
Old 03-05-06 | 09:10 AM
ZOOBS350
Driver School Candidate

i wish i had your problem....i HATE the stock stereo.

mark levinson would have been so much better

i am coming out of a 3.2 CL with bose and only 6 speakers which blows the IS's base stereo out of the water IMO

but im sure if i did have ML, i'd watch many movies
Old 03-05-06 | 10:02 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Originally Posted by Langdell

I have a bunch of concert DVD's, like the Stones, Dire Straits, etc.. I listen to them while I drive and if I'm at a traffic light or waiting for somebody it's real easy to hit the emergency brake and watch the dvd. Very cool!
Old 03-05-06 | 11:06 AM
emissivity

I watched a whole movie in my garage without the car running (the first night I picked up my car), I also watched some episodes of "Entourage" during lunch at work with some coworkers. It's really amazing how the surround sound brings you into the movie. Despite the tiny screen I felt like I was watching at home.

Quick Reply: Does anyone really watch movies in their IS (in park)?