IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lots of front paint chips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 04:14 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogchow
I had a clear bra installed by Aerotect (Joe Z recommended i see him). Worked with Francisco. Incredibly nice guy and the price is very reasonable ($544 for full front kit + lights (fog and head) + red out + install / tax). Considering how well attentive he was to my car and the amount of work put into it, I'd go to him again and highly recommend him to anyone else. They've got advertisement banners on here, and he'll prob be posting pics of what he's done. only drawback was having to drive 45 min to get to him (La Verne), but he did a great job like i said b4.

But back to what the OP said... i noticed that the IS paint is really weak too. i have 2 chips in 2 weeks of driving and i get swirlies from just regular terry towels.
Because those terry towels are junk. You need to use a high quality 100% cotton bath towel or a good quality microfiber towel.
Old 03-05-06, 04:29 PM
hogchow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Because those terry towels are junk. You need to use a high quality 100% cotton bath towel or a good quality microfiber towel.
the terry towel i used was a 100% cotton one. I went out and bought THE ABSORBER.. this is supposedly the best towel on the market.
Old 03-05-06, 04:34 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogchow
the terry towel i used was a 100% cotton one. I went out and bought THE ABSORBER.. this is supposedly the best towel on the market.
Ive been using the "absorber" for probably about 10 yrs now,In that time 3 of the cars ive owned were black.. I woudlnt think of using anything else to dry my car...
Old 03-05-06, 04:50 PM
hogchow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tony1
Ive been using the "absorber" for probably about 10 yrs now,In that time 3 of the cars ive owned were black.. I woudlnt think of using anything else to dry my car...
Sweet I used it briefly yesterday and i have to say, so far it's worth every penny of the $17 I paid for it
Old 03-05-06, 05:10 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Got a decent sized chip on the hood before I even got to 1k miles. Applied a little touch-up paint and I forgot it ever happened
Old 03-05-06, 05:18 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Since reading on this site how great The Absorber was I bought one at Walmart for $8. It worked great. Didn't even have to clean the windows with window cleaner afterward. Went and bought another Absorber today for the shower

Haven't gotten any rock chips yet...only a week old...but I did notice two indents or marks on the front bumper equally spaced apart which looks like they are there for drilling a front license plate. Not happy about this since we don't need front license plates in Florida.
Old 03-05-06, 09:34 PM
Kailua250
Driver

I have a nice sized chip on my hood. Right in the center, too! unfortunately it is further back than a clear bra would protect. I am deciding how I should touch it up. Just do it myself with a match stick?
Old 03-05-06, 09:46 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kailua250
I have a nice sized chip on my hood. Right in the center, too! unfortunately it is further back than a clear bra would protect. I am deciding how I should touch it up. Just do it myself with a match stick?

I just got this delivered from E-bay. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping for the best.

Ebay link
Old 03-05-06, 09:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I just got this delivered from E-bay. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping for the best.

Ebay link
I tried the official langka stuff at $30.00 a bottle on 2 different blue colored cars and it did a lousy job. Return the thing and get your money back.
Old 03-06-06, 10:43 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I tried the official langka stuff at $30.00 a bottle on 2 different blue colored cars and it did a lousy job. Return the thing and get your money back.
It was an E-bay purchase, so no refunds. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.
Old 03-06-06, 10:53 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

they've had those chip repair / color matching touch up paints for years,
those things never work...

I have almost 800 miles and no chips yet <fingers crossed>
Old 03-06-06, 01:12 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard our car's paint is water base now...

both of our IS250 and 350 has plenty of chip just by driving the car home....
Old 03-06-06, 01:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The water based 2 pack paint systems used by Lexus are the same as those used by every other manufacturer, including BMW and Mercedes. If you go to any forum of any manufacturer you will read posts of people complaining about stone chips. If you travel down roads with loose debris on them your car is going to get hit by stones travelling at high speed and nothing short of a bra will stop the paint chipping.

This is true, but it sure seems like the Lexus pain chips a lot easier as well as etches in easier compared to my other cars of difference brands. When we got our brand new RX330 I had rock chips within the first week. Now my front end it littered with them. Bird poop seems to etch the paint within a couple of hours were my other cars even a whole day wouldn't affect the paint. From my experience with my own cars the Lexus paint doesn't seem as durable. Eiither that or the Lexus just has all the bad luck and all the rocks hit it more often then my other cars.
Old 03-06-06, 04:32 PM
zomg!11
Rookie

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
When I had my clear bra installed, the installer was looking at the car and we noticed a small chip (this is prior to the install). The car only had 200 miles or so..One thing he mentioned is that Lexus' have thinner paint than other cars in their class.

This would lend itself to the increased possibility of chips.

I am glad I got the bra. It is virtually invisible..yes a bit pricy $750 with headlight protection ($650 without). If you are in the Portland area check out 503motoring in Beaverton
could i please see a picture of your car with the bra on? i'd like to see what it looks like, that sounds like a great idea to prevent chips.
Old 03-06-06, 04:56 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Has anyone tried: --> http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

They have a dealer nearby, here in Virginia. On the website it says, they are warranted by 3M™ not to yellow, crack or peel for 5 years after installation.
I 'm not gonna be in California anytime soon, that I know of, to try the other clear plastic.
let me know if anyone has used xpel.
That crazy lexus dealer of mine dosn't recommend clear bras. I think I have to go something to protect the paint.
thanks

Quick Reply: Lots of front paint chips?