IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lots of front paint chips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 11:30 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of front paint chips?

Just wanted to see what every thought about the paint on their cars. I've had my 350 for about 6 weeks now and just went over 1k miles. The problem is that I have about 5 good chips in my paint already. My previous vehicle was a 4x4 F150, I had it about 2 years and 15k miles and it had less paint damage than my new IS. Now, I understand that the F-150 was higher off the ground, but it also had about twice the frontal surface area as the IS. IMO the paint is just too easy too chip, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-06, 11:54 AM
deuce2
Rookie

get a clear bra.
Old 03-05-06, 12:44 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deuce2
get a clear bra.
Don't really want one. I don't like the look or the expense.
Old 03-05-06, 01:25 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my clear bra installed, the installer was looking at the car and we noticed a small chip (this is prior to the install). The car only had 200 miles or so..One thing he mentioned is that Lexus' have thinner paint than other cars in their class.

This would lend itself to the increased possibility of chips.

I am glad I got the bra. It is virtually invisible..yes a bit pricy $750 with headlight protection ($650 without). If you are in the Portland area check out 503motoring in Beaverton
Old 03-05-06, 02:13 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
The look? Nobody will ever know it is there... Do you prefer the look of rock chips?
Expense? Not a huge price to keep your car pristine and maintain the resale value.
Ditto.

Lookswise, yes, it is visible if you are looking for it. You will see the clear bra on your car because you know it's there, but most people who see your car won't even notice it. I notice mine. And I would prefer a pristine car with no clear bra, but--as I'll actually be driving the car, not leaving it in a showroom--I prefer the look of a clear bra over paint chips.

For the expense, you have to make the same basic judgment call as with the trade-off in looks--how much is it worth to you to have your expensive car protected?
Old 03-05-06, 02:14 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I was about to post the same thing. I had my car washed today and I noticed a lot of paint chips/dings on the front bumper! I only have 185 miles on my IS250 AWD. On the other hand, my MB CLS500 with 690 miles doesn't have one rock chip to speak of.

Seems like Lexus paint chips very easily?
Old 03-05-06, 02:27 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I leased my IS, so I really don't want to spend $650+ for something I won't get back when I turn the car in. I'm debating the same thing with a window tint. It will look great, but again, another $400 that won't increase the car's value at the end of the lease period.

I suppose if I owned the car and planned on keeping it for 5+ years I'd consider the bra, but the bottom line is the amount of paint chips I have after such short a period is very disappointing.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-05-06, 02:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
One thing he mentioned is that Lexus' have thinner paint than other cars in their class.

All vehicles made in the past few years have very thin paint. Thats because they are all using water borne paints since they are trying to cut down on the pollutants that the old type paints used to put out.
Old 03-05-06, 02:41 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
All vehicles made in the past few years have very thin paint. Thats because they are all using water borne paints since they are trying to cut down on the pollutants that the old type paints used to put out.
Bingo! Everything coming out of Japan these days is thin. There are airborne pollutant laws that affect the paint process. Everyone from Subaru to Honda owners are complaining about their easily chipped paint. Nothing to be done. Either clear bra it or just live with it.
Old 03-05-06, 02:46 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
When I had my clear bra installed, the installer was looking at the car and we noticed a small chip (this is prior to the install). The car only had 200 miles or so..One thing he mentioned is that Lexus' have thinner paint than other cars in their class.

I am glad I got the bra. It is virtually invisible..yes a bit pricy $750 with headlight protection ($650 without). If you are in the Portland area check out 503motoring in Beaverton
Actually that isn't true. Thicker paints and clears are much more prone to chipping than thinner paints and clears. The problem is the new water based paints that aren't as durable.
Old 03-05-06, 02:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I notice that the people complaining about rock chips have black (or blue onyx which is practically black) paint. I have over 3,000 miles on my crystal white car, and if I have any rock chips, they aren't noticable.
Old 03-05-06, 03:02 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Well, darker colors always show scratches and chips more.
Old 03-05-06, 03:07 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I have a Glacier Frost Mica with 700 miles and just noticed a couple small rock chips above the right headlights.... nearly broke my heart. It was probably caused by rocks on the freeway (Its been raining cats & dogs and there's all sorts of dirt on the freeways).

My last car was an Acura RSX, and it too suffered from easilly chipping paints. I've also noticed that on my mom's 2003 Camry, so its gotta be a Japanesse car problem, because the 3 Mercedes and BMW's I've know of driven in the same roads I travel seem to suffer far less damage.

Godammit Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc... get your act together and put high-quality paint on high quality cars!! </end rant>
Old 03-05-06, 03:35 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The water based 2 pack paint systems used by Lexus are the same as those used by every other manufacturer, including BMW and Mercedes. If you go to any forum of any manufacturer you will read posts of people complaining about stone chips. If you travel down roads with loose debris on them your car is going to get hit by stones travelling at high speed and nothing short of a bra will stop the paint chipping.
Old 03-05-06, 03:55 PM
hogchow
Driver School Candidate

I had a clear bra installed by Aerotect (Joe Z recommended i see him). Worked with Francisco. Incredibly nice guy and the price is very reasonable ($544 for full front kit + lights (fog and head) + red out + install / tax). Considering how well attentive he was to my car and the amount of work put into it, I'd go to him again and highly recommend him to anyone else. They've got advertisement banners on here, and he'll prob be posting pics of what he's done. only drawback was having to drive 45 min to get to him (La Verne), but he did a great job like i said b4.

But back to what the OP said... i noticed that the IS paint is really weak too. i have 2 chips in 2 weeks of driving and i get swirlies from just regular terry towels.

Quick Reply: Lots of front paint chips?