Dealer Experience/Special Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 08:18 PM
Vmdc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Experience/Special Ordering

Hello all!
First time post here and a hopeful owner... one day.

After spending more a lot of time reading about the IS, I finally went to a dealer and test drove the 250 and 350. They are both wonderful cars, but I prefer the power of the 350. The car is excellent!

So on to my questions. When I was talking to the salesman, obviously, he was discouraging me on special ordering the vehicle. My feeling is, if I'm going to be dropping 45K on something, I want it with all the stuff I like. Sport package, with NAV/Mark Lev, parking assist, pre-collision/dynamic radar cruise, HKS exhast. He told me that chances of them getting me that particular configuration would be close to impossible because of the allocation Lexus is giving them. I thought the order was placed directly with Lexus? Am I mistaken?

Also, he said that the Pre-collision/Dyanamic radar cruise and HKS exhaust is not available yet. That Lexus is not even putting the Pre-collision on the cars yet. Is this true? Does anyone have it on thier car? How about the HKS?

Thanks for listening and I hope to one day join the Elite!

Cheers,

Matt
Old 03-05-06, 09:09 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i heard its a 4 month wait for the special order. I wasnt willing to do that. The HKS i thought was out. There is car on here that have new dual exhaust systems. Im not sure which it was tho but i thought it was the hks. As far as the Pre-collision/Dyanamic radar cruise i dont know if its out or not yet. I didnt see anything saying it wasnt. But your going to pay 50,000 or more for a vechile with what your asking for. Even if you get it for 1,000 or so under msrp. I was at 47,000 for a Luxury package. That was a lil under 1,000 off sticker price. The radar is like 2,500 or somthing plus 500.00 for the parking assist. So 1,000 under msrp plus tax and such should be right around 50K or a hair more. I couldnt wait the 4 months. And you wont find a car with that unless it ordered. If you only knew what i went threw to find a luxury package in my color. That was ahrd enought. And right now they are selling before they ever get to the lot. I bought mine from them as soon as they got their allocation list. It hasnt even hit land in the US and its already sold. Thats how alot of loaded car ans 350 are being sold. You can only find certin color 250, and non loaded vechiles. Soprt and luxry packages in high demand colors are impossible to find sitting on a lot without already being bought.
Old 03-05-06, 09:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That dealer is a bit misinformed.

A Special Order is a car made for you. You choose what you want and Lexus will make it for you. This takes about 4 months. An allocation list is a list of cars that just went off the production line and is then available to the dealer. Dealers then place "dibs" on cars that would sell well for their region: for example, AWD for the Northeast and 350 Sports in SoCal. Getting a car from the allocation list is much shorter than a Special Order.

Pre-Collision and Park Assist are currently available for factory installation. The availability of such a combo in current allocation lists may be very low, due to the fact that most people don't want to pay for the $3k premium for such additions.

HKS exhaust is available but extremely rare. Special order it and you should be able to get it. You may not find one readily available for an allocated car, much less one with the options you want.

Good luck with the search. Check the allocation lists that your dealer may have and "your" car may be out there...
Old 03-05-06, 09:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I have exactly the vehicle you describe: 350, sport, nav, ml, pcs, park assist. You'll likely have to order it as did I. It took 15 weeks, but worth the wait. HKS isn't out, and has fallen off the Lexus accessory list, so may never see the light of day (at lease from Lexus).
Old 03-06-06, 05:44 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

If your prepared to wait for the car, order it with everything you want. Otherwise, take a look at the allocations and see if there is a car on there that will make you happy.

I "ordered" mine, but a week later the dealer preferenced it off the allocations and it should be here this week. It has been about 30 days since I ordered......

Mines a Red/black with Lux/ ML. Hard car to find, but I got lucky.
Old 03-06-06, 05:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

theres pretty credible rumors of production kicking up soon in march/april, since the LS is moving out to a new facility and that frees up space for IS production. If this is true might want to wait so there can be better availability on options and you might be able to deal down a little more
Old 03-06-06, 06:09 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Dealer expirience (Superior South)

I was told to expect a delivery date of 2.21-2.24 (after fully paying for and filling out all paperwork so they could book it as a February sale). I was then told that Lexus had moved back the delivery date to 2.27. This was an existing car that they found and were having shipped to KC because it met my specs. I was then called on 2.28 and asked if I could make time in my schedule to recieve delivery on March 2nd, which I juggled around to accommodate.

I was then told on March 1st that the car could not be located, even though they had recd confirmation of it's arrival in KC at the railyard after being mistakenly shipped to Chicago. I then have recd no contact from the dealer in the past 3 days.

I shot a nasty email to the GM, as I could not get through on the swithcboard on a Sunday. I told them that the survey I would return would not be to their liking, and I would also have a talk with a business partner who has been in contact with them about buying a GS.

Seems odd that a customer should bend over backward for a dealer. It's okay to have Christmas on January 15th if you tell me that. Just don't promise that it's coming on December 20th. You'd think these guys have never heard the old adage "under promise and over deliver."

The silver lining is that I'm still driving the GX 470 that's been traded back to them and is depreciating, moving steadily toward the30,000 mile mark, and I'm putting no miles on the IS yet.
Old 03-06-06, 06:30 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

That's pretty crappy of them......

So what's the GM's story? Sounds like they need to **** you a car post haste.
Old 03-06-06, 06:40 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default GM emailed me this morning

And said I'd get a call within 60 minutes after he researched the issue.

They offered to deliver it to my office when they "found" it.
Old 03-06-06, 06:46 AM
tdog09
Driver

My Lexus rep couldnt give me any kind of status on my order, other than the fact its been put in and accepted. The wait is goin on 11 weeks now. Ordered Dec 20th.
Old 03-06-06, 07:17 AM
Vmdc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for clearing it up for me. The salesman called me and said he found a Sport package with Nav/Mark lev, Tungsten with black interior. Almost everything I wanted. I would be paying 43K for that package. But I'm thinking that I'll just wait and order everything I want in the car. If I'm going to dump close to 50k, then it better be exaclty what I'm looking for. I don't mind the wait, the car I have now is perfectly fine ( 04 Maxima ), just outdated. Oh yeah, the Nav screen on the IS is like looking at HDTV compared to my Maxima Nav. And the seat coolers will come in handy during the summer here out in AZ, especially with the black leather!
Old 03-06-06, 08:04 AM
Vmdc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I have exactly the vehicle you describe: 350, sport, nav, ml, pcs, park assist. You'll likely have to order it as did I. It took 15 weeks, but worth the wait. HKS isn't out, and has fallen off the Lexus accessory list, so may never see the light of day (at lease from Lexus).
Hey Timbol,

Can I ask what you paid for your IS?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-06-06, 02:05 PM
lexi06
Rookie

My dealer won't even negotiate for special orders, if I want 1 option added and they don't have it in the lot, then it's a special order. I don't think that's right. I just wanted PA and it's a factory option available to all trims. If
I wanted an option that is on another trim then it makes sense for it to be a special order. sux.
Old 03-06-06, 05:37 PM
phish2112
Driver

i agree Lexi. I originally ordered parking assist, then two months later they said it'd be another month or so, I said forget it. With NAV and the backup camera, I figured I could do without it. overkill, but not as expensive as you'd think. $500
Old 03-06-06, 05:47 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HKS exhaust will come in later this year...

maybe in the fall. It takes a while for after market and factory accessories to hit the market. Rear lip spoilers came out at the end of Feb and will be commonplace from now on.

Rock

Quick Reply: Dealer Experience/Special Ordering