IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do you remove the subwoofer grill from an IS350 w/ML?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 09:11 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you remove the subwoofer grill from an IS350 w/ML?

I've been guilty of playing too much rap music through my IS350 w/ ML. Now I'm hearing rattling in the subwoofer at low volume. I would like to inspect it for cracks or tears on the subwoofer but I have no clue on how to remove the grill.

I have two options right now buy a one day pass for online service manual download or take it to the dealer. Right now the dealer a little booked and will take a whole day to check my subwoofer.

Other than that I'll take a break from listening to rap and go back to my Depeche Mode roots.
Old 03-07-06, 09:48 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I dont even know where the sub is.. Is it in the trunk?
I wish someone would post pictures of the trunk w/o the carpeting etc
Old 03-07-06, 09:54 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. And figure out how to upgrade it while your there too. I will need this soon.
Old 03-07-06, 10:18 PM
emissivity

Originally Posted by integlikew
Nice. And figure out how to upgrade it while your there too. I will need this soon.
Haha I was thinking the same too. If the sub is busted, I'll probably replace it with a better one.

I tried removing the felt covering in the trunk but it looks like the only way to get to the subwoofer is from top of the rear deck.
Old 03-08-06, 07:40 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear seat (both bottom and back), the door sill trim on both sides, the c-pillar trim on both sides, the center brake light, and finally the rear deck has to be removed to gain access to the factory sub.
Old 03-08-06, 07:46 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

you will have to remove the rear seats to get the rear deck out. its not too bad, but i didnt remove the rear deck. you'll probably have to remove the trim from the pillars. i believe that the rear deck is held on by a few clips. to remove the rear seats the bottom cushion is held by clips and just pull up. the back cushion has 8 10mm bolts at the bottom and just pull up and slide it out.

Old 03-08-06, 08:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I think I remember from the ML vs Dynaudio thread or whatever they mentioned the ML system benefitted greatly from a subwoofer upgrade over stock
Old 03-08-06, 08:28 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250
you will have to remove the rear seats to get the rear deck out. its not too bad, but i didnt remove the rear deck. you'll probably have to remove the trim from the pillars. i believe that the rear deck is held on by a few clips. to remove the rear seats the bottom cushion is held by clips and just pull up. the back cushion has 8 10mm bolts at the bottom and just pull up and slide it out.
Can you post more pics of the actual sub location?
Old 03-08-06, 08:37 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

honestly when you look at the rear deck you are looking at the sub. there is no access to remove it from the trunk. if you remove the upper trunk liner it is solid metal. i didnt actually take the rear deck out. i disconnected the stock sub and tapped the signal to run a seperate sub and amp. if i had known the factory amp was on the trunk floor i would have never had to take the rear seats out i did a write up on it while back.
Old 03-08-06, 08:40 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

the upper trunk liner is removed in this pic.. you can see that its solid metal so the sub can only come out from the top.

Old 03-08-06, 02:53 PM
emissivity

Wow thanks IS 250 for the pics! I'm going to spend some time this weekend and post pics and my findings.
Old 03-08-06, 02:57 PM
emissivity

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I think I remember from the ML vs Dynaudio thread or whatever they mentioned the ML system benefitted greatly from a subwoofer upgrade over stock
I'm already looking for a replacement. I'm certain my ML sub is busted...it doesn't sound the same when I compare it with my buddies IS350ML. Even if I get it fixed (warranty) by the dealer, it's going to break again down the road.
Old 03-08-06, 03:12 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emissivity
I'm already looking for a replacement. I'm certain my ML sub is busted...it doesn't sound the same when I compare it with my buddies IS350ML. Even if I get it fixed (warranty) by the dealer, it's going to break again down the road.
What i would do first is get it fixed under warr. Next i would do some research if it can even be reaplce with a aftermarket one. Any aftermarket sub is going to probley need to have more power then the stock in order for it to sound any better. If this is the case then you should just added a small 8-10" sub in its own box in the trunk and tap into the factory sub wires. Add your own lil amp and sub on the side. Unplug the stock sub and everything stays looking stock. If you sell the car just remove your amp and sub and plug back in the workin (after ti fixed under warr) sub. If its not under warr. then i would look more into swaping out the sub and adding a amp by still taping into the factoy wires. But this would give you a clean install as you wont need a box in your trunk. Seems like alot of work and tearing your new car apart.
Old 03-08-06, 03:14 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

If you do take it apart please let us all know what our options are. What will fit in there? How will it sound? Is the sub in a box bach there or is it just opena nd useing the truck as a box? I think some companies make a "free air sub" made to be mounted up there without a box. Either way please let us all know what are options are for upgrading down the road.
Old 03-08-06, 03:21 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

how loud were you bumping the subs to have them break after, what, a month?

Quick Reply: How do you remove the subwoofer grill from an IS350 w/ML?