IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Abusive Salesperson

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 10:03 AM
IS250-AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abusive Salesperson

Stopped in to my local Lexus dealer to have a tire checked. While I was there I stepped into the showroom and approached the salesperson who sold me the car.

He Yelled at me things of which I won't repeat, but I did get one message, He was really mad about the scoring that I did on the Lexus Customer Questionaire.

I filled out the questionairre as honestly as I could and he didn't get a stellar review so I guess he felt retribution was in order. He did yell "get another salesperson" or words to that effect but honestly I couldn't make out much else that he said.

I had called and left messages that he didn't return.

I had asked him for information about the car after picking it up and he didn't follow up.

The key number plate was missing and I asked that he get me one (three times) and he never followed up.

Overall I didn't think he did a good job never mind an outstanding job and I gave him a middle of the road score.

Be warned! I don't know if it applies to all dealerships but there are financial rewards attached to getting good reviews.
Old 03-08-06, 10:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sounds like he got an appropriate score simply based on his unprofessional reaction and lack of followup.

If he was truly abusive, I'd write a letter to the GM of the dealership.
Old 03-08-06, 10:12 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Wow...that's surprising and unfortunate at the same time. It sounds to me like he may have gotten a better review than he deserved after throwing a temper-tantrum like that. I would seriously let the GM know about that incident. I always thought those customer feedback things were confidential. Hmm..
Old 03-08-06, 10:14 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Surveys typically have an effect on $...

What blows my mind about people like this is that it never occurs to them that to get good reviews, they should get their act together. Instead of realizing that in many cases they provided terrible service, in their minds, the customer is the bad one...

Screwed up, for sure, and frankly, I agree you should share this story with the GM of that dealership. The GM ought to realize (if he/she is a half-smart businessperson) that this behavior will impact your future purchasing decisions, and more importantly, it can impact your servicing decisions. I mean, it isn't particularly pleasant to bring your car for service and have to listen to an incompetent jerk whom you gave business to yell at you.
Old 03-08-06, 10:17 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
Wow...that's surprising and unfortunate at the same time. It sounds to me like he may have gotten a better review than he deserved after throwing a temper-tantrum like that. I would seriously let the GM know about that incident. I always thought those customer feedback things were confidential. Hmm..
So did I. But maybe he only sold 1 car all month and only got 1 review card, so he put 2 and 2 together.
Old 03-08-06, 10:19 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next time you see him... give him a swift kick to the nuts.
Old 03-08-06, 10:20 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
I always thought those customer feedback things were confidential. Hmm..

It's always been unclear to me... I've read of similar incidents on other forums (Acura, etc.), particularly regarding service-related surveys.
Old 03-08-06, 10:22 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep...Dealers get rewarded for getting good CSI scores as well as the salepeople. Dealers take these scores very seriously because they use them for rankings with other dealers. If they are #1...I guess they use it for marketing and make consumers think that they are dealing with a "Customer Oriented" dealer. Salespeople do get bonuses on good scores.....But F@#% him for acting like an azz to you.

Back in the day when I sold cars....we would actually ask the customers to bring in there CSI cards and get a free oil change or a tank of gas...this way the dealer can read them and not submit the bad ones to corporate. Which inturn gave them outstanding CSI scores. Pretty unethical if you ask me.
Old 03-08-06, 10:24 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Yep...Dealers get rewarded for getting good CSI scores as well as the salepeople. Dealers take these scores very seriously because they use them for rankings with other dealers. If they are #1...I guess they use it for marketing and make consumers think that they are dealing with a "Customer Oriented" dealer. Salespeople do get bonuses on good scores.....But F@#% him for acting like an azz to you.

Back in the day when I sold cars....we would actually ask the customers to bring in there CSI cards and get a free oil change or a tank of gas...this way the dealer can read them and not submit the bad ones to corporate. Which inturn gave them outstanding CSI scores. Pretty unethical if you ask me.
Might as well just make your own..LOL
Old 03-08-06, 10:27 AM
casey225
Pole Position

If you aren't honest, the dealer may never have a good enough reason to get rid of a jerk like this. Obviously, it would seem he is harmful to their image. Not only will they lose money through their survey bonuses, but they will lose sales b/c he is such an a**hole. I agree that you should tell the GM, you might just call him up and ask if you can work with another salesman, in the future, that way, you won't have to trash the guy unless he asks you too.
Old 03-08-06, 10:29 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by integlikew
Might as well just make your own..LOL
So true.... I think they get mailed directly from Lexus, Chevrolet...etc etc
Old 03-08-06, 10:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Contact the General Manager and Lexus Headquarters

Say one thing: ASSAULT.

This is a legal matter. This was verbal assault and harassment. You have an opinion that Lexus asked for. This type of action should not be tolerated. Do not hesitate to ask the General Manager to terminate that salesman in front of you! If the General Manager does not terminate him in front of you, tell thim that you will contact Lexus Regional Headquarters to terminate him for allowing his employee to verbally assault and harass you.

I will not tolerate that type of action from anyone whether its a guy selling me gum or selling me a car. His actions are outrageous! Contact the proper authorities to handle this matter immediately. This person should not work in a Lexus dealership because he represents a product that we value.

Good luck on the matter. Keep us informed.
Old 03-08-06, 10:33 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

got some friends that work at the dealer, they said they get bonus's for good reviews.
Old 03-08-06, 10:42 AM
tdog09
Driver

I wouldnt take it as far as Philip would, but I would contact the GM and let him know about the situation and how it made u feel (your emotional status at the time) and how it made you feel about his dealership!
Old 03-08-06, 10:56 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

I agree with everyone else. Go in and talk to the GM - don't let this guy get away with that!!

Quick Reply: Abusive Salesperson