IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got hit with a 18 wheeler tire on the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 07:01 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me before on my WRX. The tire was stretched across the entire lane and I only had a few seconds to react but there was too much traffic so I had to run over it. The car in front of me was a huge GMC truck so I didn't even get the chance to spot it ahead of time. Cracked the paint on the lower bumper and cracked the linings on both front wheel wells. Anyway, GL with your repairs... hopefully there's no permanent damage on the paint.
Old 03-09-06, 08:14 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted pics of the damage on http://www.berzerk.org/lexus/
Look on the bottom of the page.

My wheel well (driver side) also popped one of the clips in the plastic and my bottom grill on the front popped out too, you can see it crooked.
I think im going to take it up to the dealership, get an estimate, get my bottom plastic grill popped back in..
maybe it wont be too bad.
Old 03-09-06, 08:27 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lcarr
To answer your question Goo-Gone won't hurt your paint and does a good job busting sticky rubbery stuff. It's a citrus based solvent and pretty mild.
It's also great for taking out gum off carpet, I had some idiot spit out his gum right next to my driver side door and I stepped on it and got it all over the carpet...googone took it right off.

Sorry to read what happened dfw350 at least your ok.
Old 03-09-06, 09:05 AM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r6z9r
It's also great for taking out gum off carpet, I had some idiot spit out his gum right next to my driver side door and I stepped on it and got it all over the carpet...googone took it right off.
Just a note about the Goo-Gone topic. It works well when detailing the engine bay too, but do not let it come in contact with your rubber hoses. I noticed what a brilliant job it did on the engine cover and other components so I got carried away and washed everything with it. Within a few minutes all my hoses started to look tarnished and old. So I looked at the back of the bottle, and there it states, “do not use on rubber”.
Old 03-09-06, 10:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like you have a clear bra, hard to tell what kind of damage the paint sustained because of the clear bra, i bet it helped protect the paint a good amount
Old 03-09-06, 11:44 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
looks like you have a clear bra, hard to tell what kind of damage the paint sustained because of the clear bra, i bet it helped protect the paint a good amount
I have a clear bra? I did not have one installed.. how can you tell?
Old 03-09-06, 01:42 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I see no clear bra on that front end.

Originally Posted by dfw350
I hope it can be replaced or fixed whatever..
I am going to take a picture of it tomorrow.
My friend recommended using googone to get the rubbery white stuff off the bumper.
Is this safe for the paint?
Goo Gone will slowly take the paint off. For a small area you'd be OK but I wouldn't use it. Use a fine cut abrasive polish...that'll be your best bet.

After looking at the pics you posted its unlikely a polish will help you much. The paint looks like it has a stress fracture and the only way to fix it would be to refinish the bumper. Some places can do spot refinishing although I am not sure how good it would look.

Last edited by JamRWS6; 03-09-06 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 01:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
I have a clear bra? I did not have one installed.. how can you tell?
the clear coat looked kinda fuzzy like something was covering it, sort of like my ipod nano, maybe i thought wrong
Old 03-09-06, 02:01 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I see no clear bra on that front end.

Goo Gone will slowly take the paint off. For a small area you'd be OK but I wouldn't use it. Use a fine cut abrasive polish...that'll be your best bet.

After looking at the pics you posted its unlikely a polish will help you much. The paint looks like it has a stress fracture and the only way to fix it would be to refinish the bumper. Some places can do spot refinishing although I am not sure how good it would look.

Yeah I may have to get a new bumper.. god damn
Old 03-09-06, 02:05 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are the fractures? All I see is a reflection of his garage.

II would suggest using finecut cleaner, before taking the car to a garage.
Old 03-09-06, 02:33 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

My coworker here is bringin soem cleaner tomorrow for me to use.
He said googone may be too strong.
I also gotta take it in to the dealer so they can pop in the bottom grille thing..
It popped out a bit from the bumper housing.
Old 03-09-06, 07:38 PM
Azn98R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Damn These cars are cursed! I hope that you can get it taken care of. Where is the damage on the bumper? Lower portion?

Tell me about it. I am on my second IS 350 as the first got totaled. I still can't get over it... Not only that, but the new one got hit by a freaken duck and dented the left front fender. What luck. hope it turns around.
Old 03-09-06, 09:32 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Azn98R
Tell me about it. I am on my second IS 350 as the first got totaled. I still can't get over it... Not only that, but the new one got hit by a freaken duck and dented the left front fender. What luck. hope it turns around.
wow... ...... .................
Old 03-10-06, 04:13 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Azn98R
Whoa what the heck happened? Get paintless dent removal on the fender. Too bad m paint was chipping on my fender
Old 03-10-06, 12:57 PM
Frisco
Driver

I probably hit that same piece of tread, but I was in my wifes 4 wheel drive pickup. It was huge though.

Quick Reply: Got hit with a 18 wheeler tire on the hwy