IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Power plug in center console - poor design?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 05:03 AM
wayner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
think we'll enjoy hearing your thoughts and comments, just the wifi one above; it's nice to dream from time to time.
I don't think Wifi in cars is too far away. It's very doable with today's technology. With the Nav system in Lexuses you get much of the functionality of a PC (video, audio playback, GPS nav, bluetooth, phone). Why not go all of the way and put a full fledged PC into the car? And with a WiFi connection you could use VOIP for phone calls so you wouldn't even need a cell phone as long as you are connected to the Wifi network.
Old 03-10-06, 06:29 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Originally Posted by wayner
I don't think Wifi in cars is too far away. It's very doable with today's technology. With the Nav system in Lexuses you get much of the functionality of a PC (video, audio playback, GPS nav, bluetooth, phone). Why not go all of the way and put a full fledged PC into the car? And with a WiFi connection you could use VOIP for phone calls so you wouldn't even need a cell phone as long as you are connected to the Wifi network.
Forget WiFi - how about EVDO so you can beconnected to the internet anywhere you get phone sevrice at broadband speed. Then you can do anything. Download music on the fly, watch TV, the list is long my friends
Old 03-10-06, 08:49 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
Forget WiFi - how about EVDO so you can beconnected to the internet anywhere you get phone sevrice at broadband speed. Then you can do anything. Download music on the fly, watch TV, the list is long my friends
Yes.
Old 03-10-06, 09:43 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
My point about Lexus sponsoring McCartney is that the Lexus demographic is more likely an older person who isn't buying lots of new albums. You wouldn't have to go to the dealer to load new albums, the hard drive would reside somwhere accessible, like your trunk, and it would slide out. You would take it into your house, plug it into your PC and download tunes. Then you just take it back out and plut it into your car.
Bad assumption(s). People have more than just one fav artist. (2) artists do release new albums, even if they're the "older" ones as you say. Hell, even McCartney released one in the past 6 months. (3) "Older" people AREN'T going to jump of the digital music bandwagon anyways. They'll understand an iPod way before they "get" the hard disk.
Old 03-10-06, 02:07 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Perhaps, but in order to do this, you'll have to involve Apple. I'm almost positive that was impossible when this was car was being designed. Proper intergration is the preferred solution, yes indeed.
Why impossible? Many other auto manufacturers have full iPod integration:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/

I mean... if Toyota can fully implement an iPod solution for the Scion xB, then surely us IS350 owners should have it as well, wouldn't you think??

I was absolutely P.O.'d when I received my IS, looked at the supposed iPod interface, and realized that it was simply a freakin phono-in port in which you can push audio out from any device that has phono-out! I was mislead by the know nothing sales rep at my delearship who told me that there was an iPod "integration" option. Too bad there was never an IS on the lot here that I could actually see. Everyone that got an IS around here preordered, so there was never one on the lot. Otherwise I could've checked one out and realized that this was a simple phono plug. Not like I would've decided to NOT get the car (because that's rediculous), but at least I wouldn't have been hyped up about this feature
Old 03-10-06, 02:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genyosai
Why impossible? Many other auto manufacturers have full iPod integration:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/

I mean... if Toyota can fully implement an iPod solution for the Scion xB, then surely us IS350 owners should have it as well, wouldn't you think??

I was absolutely P.O.'d when I received my IS, looked at the supposed iPod interface, and realized that it was simply a freakin phono-in port in which you can push audio out from any device that has phono-out! I was mislead by the know nothing sales rep at my delearship who told me that there was an iPod "integration" option. Too bad there was never an IS on the lot here that I could actually see. Everyone that got an IS around here preordered, so there was never one on the lot. Otherwise I could've checked one out and realized that this was a simple phono plug. Not like I would've decided to NOT get the car (because that's rediculous), but at least I wouldn't have been hyped up about this feature

No you're right it is possible today. I meant awhile back when this car was being designed. Trying to squeeze in full ipod intergration on the 2006 IS during the design stages and looking at the timeline and the costs plus all the equipment that was already spec'd and the consider the best way to market it and the whole Apple deal...but I do think it is coming soon on the IS. I really didn't expect it on this 2006 model, no one should have. How long ago was the IS on the drawing board anyway? I'm thinking one or two years, maybe longer. 2003? I dunno.
Old 03-10-06, 05:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You're contradicting yourself..."one is always there". You mean your music library NEVER changes. Wow! You must must like the oldies. I'm always updating my iPod with new songs. AND I'm sure it's a lot easier to take in and out than your hard drive design ("hooked", "hidden from thieves").
I didn't say my music never changes. When I buy a few new CDs, which happens once or twice a month, I would rip them, get the hard drive from the car, update it, and then put it back.

The hard drive could easily be located in a place hidden from thieves, since it isn't removed all that frequently. The Phatbox (an aftermarket hard drive system) is usually installed in the trunk.
Old 03-10-06, 06:23 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

While I personally love the hardrive idea and understand that it will be fairly simple to implement into the car, there is one fatal flaw. It requires to much user thought.

I highly doubt there are very many people that buy luxury cars are going to understand how to..

1. Remove a harddrive (even if it is in a hotswap style enclosure)
2. Hook harddrive upto computer (USB obviously)
3. Then RIP a cd to MP3/WMA or whatever
4. Then copy them to the drive
5. Reinstall drive

Being a consultant and dealing with a customer base that, lets just say that Ferarris arent out of reach, are really dumb when it comes to technology. And that isn't a bad thing either.
Old 03-10-06, 06:41 PM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
While I personally love the hardrive idea and understand that it will be fairly simple to implement into the car, there is one fatal flaw. It requires to much user thought.
What about my Wifi idea - have the car show up as a Wifi device. You could write some software to simplify the process, just as there is software to simplify the process of transferring photos from a digital camera. The only problem I see with this idea is that you may not be able to get a reliable Wifi connection between your WAP and your car. That and having to enter WEP or WPA keys.
Old 03-10-06, 07:21 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

another great idea that I wouldn't mind. but wifi can be painful for large data transfers, especially considering most people wont get very good reception in the garage.

but I still doubt that most users completely understand how wifi works and I can see them getting connected to the neighbors and stuff.

I dont see any of this out of the realm of possibilities, but as easy as it sounds (to us at least), I can imagine the nightmare Lexus customer care would have trying to support it. They would almost certainly have to write some type of itunes type software to facilitate the ripping and data transfers, but at that point, why reinvent the wheel. It makes more sense to just fully integrate the ipod.

If you really think about it, it makes even more sense. The type of buyer with above average computer skills that would be interested in an mp3 harddrive in the car probably already owns an mp3 player of some sort, with a large percentage of them having ipods already.

I have never had the need to own an mp3 player of any kind, the only time I listen to music is in the car. I don't particularly care for apple's products either, but if the ipods were fully integrated I would have no problem buying one.