IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Power plug in center console - poor design?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 07:16 PM
wayner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power plug in center console - poor design?

My wife and I have two Lexuses (or is it Lexii?) - an RX400h and an IS350. We love them and find that they are excellently designed vehicles.

However the power jack in the center console of our IS350 seems to be very poorly designed as when you plug in a power adapter for an iPod/cellphone, etc you can't close the console lid. (Except for the 1% of power adapters that have a very low profile) In addition to that, it would be quite easy to spill a coffee or other liquid into this jack which could cause a short - my old house had power outlets in the floor and an electrician told me that you sould never put outlets in the floor as it is easy to spill stuff into them.

Wouldn't it have been better to orient this jack horizontally rather than vertically? Then you would be able to close the lid and there would be less chance of spilling stuff into it.

Or am I missing something?
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's odd. I have an XM Roady2 and cell phone power adapters and the console closes with no problem.

As for the spills, I think it won't happen because it's too far back compared to the drink holders. There is also a lid/cover on top of it when not in use.
Old 03-08-06, 07:35 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayner
My wife and I have two Lexuses (or is it Lexii?) - an RX400h and an IS350. We love them and find that they are excellently designed vehicles.

However the power jack in the center console of our IS350 seems to be very poorly designed as when you plug in a power adapter for an iPod/cellphone, etc you can't close the console lid. (Except for the 1% of power adapters that have a very low profile) In addition to that, it would be quite easy to spill a coffee or other liquid into this jack which could cause a short - my old house had power outlets in the floor and an electrician told me that you sould never put outlets in the floor as it is easy to spill stuff into them.

Wouldn't it have been better to orient this jack horizontally rather than vertically? Then you would be able to close the lid and there would be less chance of spilling stuff into it.

I think you are mostly right. We will never know why Lexus did what they did, there is no way to tell whether this was intentional, accidental, or simply the only choice based on time, etc. Luckily there is a very low cost 100% solution available to nearly every owner affected.
Old 03-08-06, 07:37 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Should add that the solution is an adapter you can purchase from Radio Shack or order on the Internet.....

Warning: this is not a solution for the very few who feel like this is a design flaw and should never have happened and this is a Lexus and they shouldn't have to pay extra, etc etc etc. That 1% or less is going to have to suffer forever and lose out completely for worrying about petty stuff.
Old 03-08-06, 07:39 PM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
I think you are mostly right. We will never know why Lexus did what they did, there is no way to tell whether this was intentional, accidental, or simply the only choice based on time, etc. Luckily there is a very low cost 100% solution available to nearly every owner affected.
IMHO the preferred solution would be to have proper iPod integration where you just plug your iPod in and use the Nav screen to control your iPod.

Either that or have a hard drive in the audio system so that you could copy all of your tunes to the hard drive that goes in the trunk or wherever. It wouldn't cost that much more to add this as you wouldn't need more than a 40GB hard drive, which are pretty cheap now, and since the vehicle can already decode MP3s from a CD it has all of the hardware required. You would just need to add some software to control song selection, etc.
Old 03-08-06, 07:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

IMHO the preferred solution would be to have proper iPod integration where you just plug your iPod in and use the Nav screen to control your iPod.

Either that or have a hard drive in the audio system so that you could copy all of your tunes to the hard drive that goes in the trunk or wherever. It wouldn't cost that much more to add this as you wouldn't need more than a 40GB hard drive, which are pretty cheap now, and since the vehicle can already decode MP3s from a CD it has all of the hardware required. You would just need to add some software to control song selection, etc.
Perhaps, but in order to do this, you'll have to involve Apple. I'm almost positive that was impossible when this was car was being designed. Proper intergration is the preferred solution, yes indeed.
Old 03-08-06, 08:37 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

they did it so they can charge $100 for a special ipod dongle port charger w/ audio out similar to belkins just shorter.

my advice: go with the belkin ipod charger with the audio out on the plug, and shave down the top of it with a dremel like i did. there's enough un needed plastic on that dome to do it and not make it look like poop.
Old 03-08-06, 10:11 PM
deuce2
Rookie

solution: radio shack car adapter with 90 degree pivoting heat for $7.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 03-09-06, 06:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Perhaps, but in order to do this, you'll have to involve Apple. I'm almost positive that was impossible when this was car was being designed. Proper intergration is the preferred solution, yes indeed.
For full iPod integration, yes. But they could have offered a Phatbox style solution, with an ejectable hard drive that you insert in a USB cradle (at home) to load up with MP3s. Once loaded, you pop it back into the slot in the car, and enjoy having your entire music library at your disposal.
Old 03-09-06, 10:06 AM
johnnay
Driver School Candidate

Prettiest solution (I searched forever) is the Monster icar charger (or something like that) - it's low profile and has an audio out jack - you just use thread a male to male 3.5mm through the coiled monster cord, and plug it into the audio in jack of the car.

Only problem is that I get a buzzing sound when the car revs - I'll have to filter it somehow, I suppose.
Old 03-09-06, 10:53 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
For full iPod integration, yes. But they could have offered a Phatbox style solution, with an ejectable hard drive that you insert in a USB cradle (at home) to load up with MP3s. Once loaded, you pop it back into the slot in the car, and enjoy having your entire music library at your disposal.
Except who wants to carry around a hard drive.
Old 03-09-06, 11:08 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Except who wants to carry around a hard drive.
You don't carry it around. It stays in the car except when you want to put new music on it. I think a built-in hard drive is a good solution. I bet more and more cars will be getting this feature. Mazda just announced it will be an option on their new 3 in mid-2006...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204181
Old 03-09-06, 11:39 AM
deuce2
Rookie

Originally Posted by johnnay
Prettiest solution (I searched forever) is the Monster icar charger (or something like that) - it's low profile and has an audio out jack - you just use thread a male to male 3.5mm through the coiled monster cord, and plug it into the audio in jack of the car.

Only problem is that I get a buzzing sound when the car revs - I'll have to filter it somehow, I suppose.
you need to get a ground loop isolator to filter out the noise.
Old 03-09-06, 03:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
You don't carry it around. It stays in the car except when you want to put new music on it. I think a built-in hard drive is a good solution. I bet more and more cars will be getting this feature. Mazda just announced it will be an option on their new 3 in mid-2006...
I'm wondering how this will work out for them in the future, with only a few pros, I can see lots of cons to a built-in hardrive.
Old 03-09-06, 03:07 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
My point being, why would I want a single usage item like the hard drive, when I can have an iPod. I can use it in and out of the vehicle. I'm sure full integration will come at some point.

Quick Reply: Power plug in center console - poor design?