IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bluetooth Phonebook

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 07:32 AM
vasco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a RAZR with Cingular. I can't upload the entire phonebook; only each entry one-by-one.
Old 03-11-06, 07:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnan
What about a "troublesome" razr, has anyone tried syncing them up to upload your phonebook? or Is that even possible?
When asking about a phone like the RAZR, you really ought to specify which provider you have, as there are multple versions of this model.

I have the RAZR on Verizon Wireless, and have found it anything but troublesome. With the exeption of phonebook transfer, it works great with the Lexus.

If you have a RAZR on a provider that has not disabled Bluetooth Object Push (such as Alltel), the RAZR will only transfer one contact at a time.
Old 03-11-06, 09:59 AM
kevp913
Rookie

I have a Treo650 and BT works perfectly. Volume and clarity are better than my Treo Headset.

As far as phonebook syncing, I was able to transfer my entire phonebook into my IS350. The trick was how the numbers are formatted. I had the default Outlook format of (xxx) xxx-xxxx. After I changed the formatting to xxxxxxxxxx, I removed the numbers of any contacts with more than two numbers, e-mails etc, then the transfer was flawless. Sounds like a lot of work, but all I did was export my Outlook contacts into a CSV text file, then did a find-replace to clean things up. (ie, find ") " and replace with "".

I'd suggest finding the format that works for you by first modifying just one contact and trying to send it to the IS. After that works, clean up all your contacts and do a send category from the Palm menu.
Old 03-11-06, 10:07 AM
saske
Rookie

Default Razr

I have had no connection issues with my Cingular Razr or my Cingular 8125. The only problem I have is the transfer of the phonebook. I took cannot get it to transfer all of the phonebook contacts at one time. The razr does have the function to "copy" all contacts to the phone memory or the SIM but not to a third party device. I don't think this function really has anything to do with the provider, it's a moto issue.
Old 03-11-06, 01:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by saske
I don't think this function really has anything to do with the provider, it's a moto issue.
It does, with Verizon you can't even transfer numbers one at a time. (Although cell phone hackers with VZW RAZRs have flashed their phones with Alltel firmware to restore that function)
Old 03-11-06, 01:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had no connection issues with my Cingular Razr or my Cingular 8125. The only problem I have is the transfer of the phonebook. I took cannot get it to transfer all of the phonebook contacts at one time. The razr does have the function to "copy" all contacts to the phone memory or the SIM but not to a third party device. I don't think this function really has anything to do with the provider, it's a moto issue.
Unfortunately the GSM (T-Mobile/Cingular) RAZR doesn't have a "Copy All" function for bluetooth. It does have the ability to transfer numbers, just not all at once.

No problems with the Motorola V551, PEBL U6, Nokia 8801, GSM RAZR V3 for transferring/staying connected.
Old 03-12-06, 04:25 AM
IS 350 CL
Driver School Candidate

Icarr,

The way to change the format, is in Outlook contacts, once you change them there it will appear correctly on your iPaq and thus be in a format your IS can handle. I don't know how many different ways you can transfer contact into your IS. Here is how I did it and it worked. I first established the connection between the phone and the car, then I went to my address book and selected / highlghted the contacts I wanted to transfer. I then went to the bottom tab labeled "tools" and selected "Send via Bluetooth" it then flipped to a screen which showed my bluetooth paired devices, in my case i have a Plantronics bluetooth ear pice as well, I selected the Bluetooth icon for the car which I can't remeber what it is called at the moment...I think it was Handsfree? or something like that. Once I selected that then I hit the "OK" button at the top right corner of the screen and it then popped up a dialog box where I saw a status of it gathering the contacts and then tranferring them one by one until completed, once it finished I found it odd that it disconnected the blutooth link. But the contacts all got in there most of mine have an office and a cell number and both were populated.

It was at this point that i realized that the handsfree in my car does work like my blutooth headset...in that my bluetooth headset is always connected to my iPAQ whether I am on the phone or not. The handsfree in the IS only connect bluetooth when hit dial out or a call comes in. Maybe there is a different way to set it up? That is the way it works for me and it seemes to work fine.

Hope that helps...I know how frustrating it can be trying to get these kind of things working so I tried to give you some detailed info to help you troubleshoot and figure out where the problem is.

Good Luck!
Old 03-12-06, 12:58 PM
saske
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
It does, with Verizon you can't even transfer numbers one at a time. (Although cell phone hackers with VZW RAZRs have flashed their phones with Alltel firmware to restore that function)
Hey Bichon,

Good to know. I did know that they "locked" certain bluetooth functions like pairing to a computer and things like that. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I don't go with CDMA carriers anymore. That and the ability with GSM to have multiple phones for different ocassions by simply inserting your sim into another unlocked phone. I was going to go with Verizon one time only to find out that they locked certain bluetooth functions.

Sean
Old 03-12-06, 04:27 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Hey Bichon,

Good to know. I did know that they "locked" certain bluetooth functions like pairing to a computer and things like that. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I don't go with CDMA carriers anymore. That and the ability with GSM to have multiple phones for different ocassions by simply inserting your sim into another unlocked phone. I was going to go with Verizon one time only to find out that they locked certain bluetooth functions.

Sean
Verizon is well known for crippling Bluetooth functionality. Helps them sell their "Get It Now"pay-per-use services. I don't like it, but their network is enough better than the competition, at least in the areas where I use it, that I put up with their draconian business practices.

In the case of the RAZR, Verizon/Motorola screwed up, and the first batch of Verizon RAZRs had Bluetooth OBEX (file transfer) enabled. Fortunately I bought mine the first day it was available, and have one of the good ones -- I can drag pictures and ringtones between my computer and my phone without needing to do any hacking. It still has the ugly Verizon user interface and object push disabled, so when it is out of warranty, I'll probably flash it with Alltel firmware and get the phone as Motorola intended.
Old 03-12-06, 04:58 PM
lcarr
Rookie

Well I finally got my iPaq 6515 to upload the phone book. It seems the problems is that Outlook takes a 10 digit phone number and no matter how you enter it, changes it to (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The parentheses blow the car phonebook away. I ended up making a new contacts list called "mobile" and copied the contact list to it. I then exported the mobile book to a comma separated file via the File-Export command. I used MS Word to do a find and replace; I found all of the forward brackets "(" and replaced them with "1". I then found all the ") “and replaced them with ""..... That deletes them. I then found all the hyphens "-" and deleted them.... replaced with "". That was it. I had a few names that had weird characters that the car didn't like but I made it thought it. It was a small PIA, not too bad. Now I'll just keep a separate "mobile" contacts list that is clean for the car. I wish it was simpler, but then again, I didn't get a vote. Thanks to IS 350 CL for all the help.
Old 03-12-06, 05:11 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Verizon is well known for crippling Bluetooth functionality. Helps them sell their "Get It Now"pay-per-use services. I don't like it, but their network is enough better than the competition, at least in the areas where I use it, that I put up with their draconian business practices.
I have the Motorola E815 w/ Verizon and was clueless on how to transfer my contact data until I found this thread Damn Verizon ...I hate them Unfortunately I can't change my service due to my employers business plan with them.
Old 03-12-06, 06:40 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which sprint phones work with no problems in the IS. I have a non bluetooth phone now and want to upgrade to something that will link to my new IS without any problems.
Old 03-13-06, 04:06 AM
lcarr
Rookie

Hopefully some Sprint guys will chime in, but it appears that the basic function of most Bluetooth phones work fine with these cars. The audio, volume, and clarity are nothing less than you'd expect. If you're used to Bluetooth headsets, the car will blow you away. The puts and takes come when you start trying to upload phonebooks, transfer between calls, hold/release, etc. My Black Berry 7290 works well for everything except the phonebook. Nada, nothing, zippo. My iPaq 6515 does everything. The phone book transfer gets funky because the car wants straight numbers. No parentheses or hyphens. Since my iPaq is a PDA, it's loaded with stuff that the car pukes on. If it was a phone with just simple names and numbers I don't think you'd see an issue. Oh well, just some info to think about. Hope a couple of Sprint guys kick in for you. I'm on Cingular and have had no service issues.
Old 03-13-06, 10:20 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcarr
Hopefully some Sprint guys will chime in, but it appears that the basic function of most Bluetooth phones work fine with these cars. The audio, volume, and clarity are nothing less than you'd expect. If you're used to Bluetooth headsets, the car will blow you away. The puts and takes come when you start trying to upload phonebooks, transfer between calls, hold/release, etc. My Black Berry 7290 works well for everything except the phonebook. Nada, nothing, zippo. My iPaq 6515 does everything. The phone book transfer gets funky because the car wants straight numbers. No parentheses or hyphens. Since my iPaq is a PDA, it's loaded with stuff that the car pukes on. If it was a phone with just simple names and numbers I don't think you'd see an issue. Oh well, just some info to think about. Hope a couple of Sprint guys kick in for you. I'm on Cingular and have had no service issues.
Thank i think im going to start a new thread if no one finds it here.
Old 03-13-06, 11:46 AM
ptmIS350
Rookie

I have a Sprint PPC 6700 and it works great with my IS. Only problem was getting the phone book to transfer so I had to enter them manually.

Sprint also has the samsung razr that is bluetooth and should work as well.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Phonebook