IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Marketing IS to the wrong people?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 10:57 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Carter calls the second-generation IS "incredibly different" than the original, and says it should appeal to a slightly older demographic: 30- to 45-year-olds.
I'll go for that. I wanted a reliable luxury car that had a sporty flavor.
No offense to 1IS owners, but the is300 was a bit ricey for me.
Old 03-10-06, 11:37 AM
isdsms
Driver

You will find this thread useful in determining demographics, though certainly not scientific due to the generally younger aged participants of online forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183543
Old 03-10-06, 11:51 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt read threw that whole post but if they are just asking age and such on here that wont work that well. The people who hang out in fourms are going to be mostly the younger crowed. I know thats not 100% as there is some older fellows on here but they are way out numberd. It would be better to do a poll when the cars were bought. My parents have a hard time finding the on switch on the comp. But they would buy the car.
Old 03-10-06, 12:07 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Back to the original post - I actually think there are a fair number of mid- to late-20s people who can afford the car. If you don't quite have the income, but still want a sweet ride, you can make sacrifices in other areas - live with roommates, don't go out to eat as often, buy less new clothes. Especially if we are talking 250 RWD, the price point for the lease is pretty appealing to young professionals who have a decent salary but no kids to feed, mortgage to pay, etc.

That said, I agree with other people that there's no reason this car should appeal to only those people. Older people, married people, grandmas, who cares! It's a great car for anyone who wants reasonably priced luxury and style with a decent amount of sportiness (and some serious power if you go for the 350).

The commercials I've seen on TV don't seem to be targeted especially to men in their 20's... They are nicely done and elegantly presented. I think they would get the attention of any demographic.
Old 03-10-06, 12:40 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=diablo1. Older people, married people, grandmas, who cares! It's a great car for anyone who wants reasonably priced luxury and style with a decent amount of sportiness (and some serious power if you go for the 350).

The commercials I've seen on TV don't seem to be targeted especially to men in their 20's... They are nicely done and elegantly presented. I think they would get the attention of any demographic.[/QUOTE]

I sure agree. I'm 63 and wanted: Rear drive, sportiness, power (350 does just fine), and a bunch of Luxury items. The back seat is just fine for the grandkids and they DO LOVE grandpas new Lexus! If the back seat is too small for my adult friends we'll go in their car.
Old 03-10-06, 02:40 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

lol...... Well I'm your 40 something female! Originally had an IS300. Loved it. For some reason went to the ES330 and felt very old, maybe when I'm 70 I'll go back. I feel way too young to be driving that car. Feel just right in my IS350.
Old 03-10-06, 04:16 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Sportcross doesn't really look like a proper wagon. My wife has a 323i Touring and just loves it. She has stated that she wants nothing but wagons in the future. We only have one kid but she loves the convenience. I love it because I can opt for the sport package on most Euro wagons and get a car that is fun to drive. I would bet a wagon is in the plans.

Now THIS is a wagon (or the new E55):

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=306
Old 03-10-06, 04:57 PM
deuce2
Rookie

less young owners of IS = less risky drivers and insurance claims = less insurance cost for those of us youngins who owns an IS.
Old 03-10-06, 06:09 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Originally Posted by deuce2
less young owners of IS = less risky drivers and insurance claims = less insurance cost for those of us youngins who owns an IS.
Too bad I'm one of those "young owners" lol! It will be my present for my big 18!
Plus many here in SoCal especially at my school, are waiting for their IS's to ship from Japan!

Last edited by Sv.Tequila; 03-10-06 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 11:30 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Age demographics aside, I'm still wondering why Lexus is so intent on marketing their car against the 3 series and G35 (which sit firmly on the sport side of the segment) instead of the C-class and TL (more towards luxury - as is the IS). I'm quite convinced that the IS has all the tools needed to put a serious dent in MB's portion of the market.

My first thoughts following my hour long IS350 "demonstration" (as the salesman called it) went something along the lines of, "Well, this car is really going to appeal to all sorts of traditional Lexus buyers - but I'm not sure the more dedicated part of the BMW crowd is really going to dig it." Though manual transmissions only make up around 15% of the US sport sedan market, the fact that Lexus doesn't even offer one with the IS350 should make their intentions quite clear. The 1st generation car was a much sportier drive!

The 2nd gen IS, however, a fantastic luxury car - great interior, fit and finish, amenities and ride. Why not market it in such a way that emphasizes the car's positive traits, rather than forcing it up against competition with which it is not properly equipped to deal with? Only reason I can think of is the possible redundancy of having two strictly luxury-oriented models in the $30k+ range (IS and ES). I suppose RWD and moderately aggressive styling are enough to classify the IS as a sport sedan in Lexus' eyes.

Does Lexus really think buyers are dumb enough to mistake their car for a legitimate sport sedan, or are they simply looking to score a few fringe sales from fence buyers who aren't quite sure of what they want?
Old 03-10-06, 11:43 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm the other end of the demographics. Have had 2 ES300's so I am very aware of the quality and reliability of Lexus cars. Liked the aggressive lines and 306 HPof the new IS350 combined with the interior comfort, features and look.

Just took delivery on IS350 Blk/Blk, Premium + Nav, ISP wheels and 35% tint. Detailed it yesterday with 3 coats of Zaino to really protect the black paint. Great looking car and and kick to drive. I am 53, nobody sits in my back seat anymore as kids are grown, and I wanted to drive something fun and cool looking instead of just another sedan. The IS is it!
Old 03-10-06, 11:57 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Age demographics aside, I'm still wondering why Lexus is so intent on marketing their car against the 3 series and G35 (which sit firmly on the sport side of the segment) instead of the C-class and TL (more towards luxury - as is the IS). I'm quite convinced that the IS has all the tools needed to put a serious dent in MB's portion of the market.
Lexus is not alone in comparing the car to the BMW 3 series and G35. All of the car magazines do it too. As do many buyers. The TL is a FWD car and the C class is luxury first with very little emphasis on sport, like the ES. The 3 series and G35 are the IS's proper competition.

My first thoughts following my hour long IS350 "demonstration" (as the salesman called it) went something along the lines of, "Well, this car is really going to appeal to all sorts of traditional Lexus buyers - but I'm not sure the more dedicated part of the BMW crowd is really going to dig it." Though manual transmissions only make up around 15% of the US sport sedan market, the fact that Lexus doesn't even offer one with the IS350 should make their intentions quite clear. The 1st generation car was a much sportier drive!
Many people have switched from the 3-series to this car. I think you are wrong in saying that BMW fans would not find it appealing. Go to BMW boards and you will find many positive comments about this car.

The 2nd gen IS, however, a fantastic luxury car - great interior, fit and finish, amenities and ride. Why not market it in such a way that emphasizes the car's positive traits, rather than forcing it up against competition with which it is not properly equipped to deal with? Only reason I can think of is the possible redundancy of having two strictly luxury-oriented models in the $30k+ range (IS and ES). I suppose RWD and moderately aggressive styling are enough to classify the IS as a sport sedan in Lexus' eyes.
You are obviously looking for trouble by posting this kind of comment on a Lexus board, but why do you think the IS is not properly equipped to deal with this competition? I'm just curious because you didn't really explain this statement at all.

Does Lexus really think buyers are dumb enough to mistake their car for a legitimate sport sedan, or are they simply looking to score a few fringe sales from fence buyers who aren't quite sure of what they want?
Considering that sales of the IS are up 807% vs. last year, I would say that they are appealing to much more than a fringe group of buyers.
Old 03-11-06, 08:35 AM
phish2112
Driver

i agree with most of you. I just turned 32 and can finally afford a Lexus. I'm also to be married in Oct and feel this is my final chance to get a 'sporty' or otherwise non-married-mobile before my wife has a say in it. the way the IS appeals to 20 somethings, but only the extremely fortunate can have it. Therfore making it even more of a luxury item, including prestige.
Old 03-11-06, 08:42 AM
LexFather

Well you can market to wherever you want, but will the buyers respond?
Lexus clearly has a hit on their hands with the IS, and seems to continue to appeal to people in their 20s while appealing to people in their 30-40s more, somehting the 1IS didn't do.

I am glad they are hitting their target.

Honda for instance, targeted the Element to 20-30 year olds, but the average buyer is 45!

So you can "SAY" where you are marketing, but the buyers will have the final say!

I think the name"IS" has established itself among the young crowd, thus younger people will continue to buy it. The 1IS may not have been a sales champ but it really opened Lexus to a new, younger crowd. With the much more luxurious 2IS, we should figure, a lot of older people would like the 2IS compared to the 1IS.

With a coupe and convert coming, things will only get better.

Remember, no matter what magazines say and people on the internet say, most people that buy these cars do not mod them, probably 1/2 lease and they want luxury, prestige and some nice features.
Old 03-11-06, 09:08 AM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

I am 28 and a soon to be IS 250 owner. I am not an old fart with gobs of money. I have a good job, own a house, but by no means am I rich. I just use my money wisely. There are many cars in the price range of an IS 250 RWD stick which could appeal to me - Acura TL, Cadillac CTS, heck, I am even still attracted to a Honda Accord EX V6 6 speed.

I am not far removed from the generation of kids who still prefer to add coffee can exhausts and 10 foot tall spoilers on their Civics. There is one thing that sepparates people like from people like them: while they were busy spending their income on headers and shift kits, we were saving it.

I really don't think those who are ricers would even trully be interrested in an IS, or know what to do with it.

The car is just for people with taste. What can you say? Whether you're 28 or 58, male or female. It's a car for people who like to drive and have some sophistocation.

Last edited by fastball; 03-11-06 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Marketing IS to the wrong people?