IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport owners: What was your last car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 05:07 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Nice looking car. No offense to former (and present) owners, but I don't understand how Infiniti could get the styling of the coupe so right, and the styling of the sedan so wrong...
Wrong in your eyes don't mean wrong in all people's eyes. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.......people have different taste, G35 sedan owners might think the new IS ugly too.....As good looking as BMW 5-series, many people can not accept its styling.......
Old 03-11-06, 07:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm coming from a 2004 Corvette 6spd with base suspension.....obviously the IS is much quieter but it does have a pretty firm ride and handles reasonly well. The vette was a little crude...a pure hot rod...haven't driven a C6.
Old 03-11-06, 10:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Wrong in your eyes don't mean wrong in all people's eyes. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.......people have different taste, G35 sedan owners might think the new IS ugly too.....
Agreed, it's my opinion. And it wouldn't bother me if a G35 sedan owner posted a negative comment about the IS styling, especially if they did it on an Infiniti forum.

As good looking as BMW 5-series, many people can not accept its styling.......
Guilty as charged. I think the jack-o-lantern face and hunchback trunk are hideous. Although I have to admit that as I see more of them on the road and get used to the styling, I don't dislike it nearly as much as I initially did.

From what I've observed, both the G35 sedan and new 5 series are polarizing designs: people either love them or hate them.
Old 03-12-06, 07:47 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliments. Wasn't easy handing over the keys to a guy with no teeth at Carmax... ugg...

Yeah, I was a much bigger fan of the coupes than the sedans when they first came out. However, they did improve the sedan quite a bit in 05 and 06. The front end looked a LOT more like the coupe and they pretty much got rid of that crappy satin black bottom trim on most of them. They also went with the machine gun LED pattern tail lights and got rid of the four horizontal lines. In a nutshell they did make the sedan a lot better more recently. Really considered another G in sedan form but the IS won me over. Can't go wrong either way. Both are great cars!!

Here's a lot more pics of my former G

http://miscpicsforgsite.homestead.com/myg35pics.html

Last edited by G35TOIS350; 03-12-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 08:16 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Agreed, it's my opinion. And it wouldn't bother me if a G35 sedan owner posted a negative comment about the IS styling, especially if they did it on an Infiniti forum.

Guilty as charged. I think the jack-o-lantern face and hunchback trunk are hideous. Although I have to admit that as I see more of them on the road and get used to the styling, I don't dislike it nearly as much as I initially did.

From what I've observed, both the G35 sedan and new 5 series are polarizing designs: people either love them or hate them.
... but when you see a a previous generation BMW, be it 3 or 5 series, I think you'd be hard pressed not to admit that it looks VERY dated compared with the new models. They may not be pretty, but they're definitely more modern... or at least have had the effect of making the old series look, well, old!
Old 03-12-06, 09:14 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by mcfly
... but when you see a a previous generation BMW, be it 3 or 5 series, I think you'd be hard pressed not to admit that it looks VERY dated compared with the new models. They may not be pretty, but they're definitely more modern... or at least have had the effect of making the old series look, well, old!
Automotive styling is, of course, a matter of taste. E.g., some people like the styling of the new BMW 3-series; others have good taste.