IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

question about clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 12:00 PM
lcchris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about clear bra

i am planning to go into aero tect to get a clear bra for my is250 and i was just wondering if the clear bra will dull the paint, like.. make it less shiny or.. if you're supposed to wax the clear bra?
and will the clear bra protect against deep scratches and dents?

sorry again i dont know a lot about cars and stuff and i should probably ask these questions when i go into aero tect but its not gunna be for a while since i have to replace my bumper.

p.s. this has nothing to do with topic, but i just wanted to tell someone that it was snowing.... in los angeles california isnt that weird??? and cool!

Last edited by lcchris; 03-11-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) good quality clear bra (venture tape for example) wont have yellowing, dulling, or orange peel. it's just as shiny, you can hardly notice the difference in reflections
2) you can wax and polish the clear bra as often as you want
3) if i use a knife or key to damage your car badly, no the clear bra won't save it, you will get scratches
4) if i get a stone and throw it hard at your car right in front of it, no the clear bra won't save it, you will get a dent
5) it protects against reasonable rock ships or scratches from road debris and protect the paint layers

yup snowing in cali, fun. it snowed even more up here in norcal from what i heard. it's getting better though
Old 03-11-06, 01:40 PM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Venture Tape

Both the Lexus dealer and the independent contractor who did my window tinting yesterday had bad things to say about the reliability of Venture. Said the ease of applying was better for the installer, the price to the installer cheaper, but the longer term reliability was not as good as 3M. Neither will use the product. And these were two completely different sources of opinion.
Old 03-11-06, 01:44 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggestion for waxing over your clear bra so that you don't get any residue/dust caught along the edge.... use some low-adhesive painter's tape and tape up the seam before polishing/waxing/buffing. It helps quite a bit.
Old 03-11-06, 01:55 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

What is Aerotect using?
Old 03-11-06, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Solomoan
Both the Lexus dealer and the independent contractor who did my window tinting yesterday had bad things to say about the reliability of Venture. Said the ease of applying was better for the installer, the price to the installer cheaper, but the longer term reliability was not as good as 3M. Neither will use the product. And these were two completely different sources of opinion.
aerotect uses venture tape

and solomoan, did they explain precisely what's wrong with venture tape? specific reason, facts, etc...?

here's facts that i know and personally experienced
1) i had 3m on my gs400, and venture tape on my sc430
2) i had 3m on my gs400 before (redid with another new 3m)
3) the old 3m on my g400, it showed very yellowish color after i took it off
4) my gs400 has SIGNIFICANTLY more orange peel than my sc430. that's coz' 3m has clear coat on the film
5) i personally have tried on the 3m film and venture tape on my hand before. i was able to pull slightly on 3m and break that thing in half right the way, but venture tape i stretched it from 1" size all the way to 2 ft (24") and it was still holding up. once i release it, it goes back to 1" size no problem without a mark on it

so i would really know the exact reason why venture tape is bad. you could be right, but i need to see the reasons. i can only say from what i see, venture tape has far better quality and protection than 3m.

and btw, in terms of price, the 3m is ONLY SLIGHTLY more expensive than venture tape from my understanding. so if anyone says they can do 3m install for THAT much more, i wonder why
Old 03-11-06, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Suggestion for waxing over your clear bra so that you don't get any residue/dust caught along the edge.... use some low-adhesive painter's tape and tape up the seam before polishing/waxing/buffing. It helps quite a bit.
yes, definitely use masking tape to mask out the edge when waxing, otherwise residue are going to pile up at the edge and you get yourself a "nice" line
Old 03-11-06, 02:32 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default AeroTect uses 3M and Venture!

AeroTect uses Venture and the new 3M that became available to the public in December 2005.
Both films are a good quality film and our cost is the same on both.The new 3M requires
less maintenance for the consumer than Venture.Both films install the same. Many people request Venture because the visual quality of the older 3M film was not as good as Venture.
The new 3M is as good if not better than Venture.

Over the years AeroTect has used many films.The new 3M and Venture are now the only films we install. Both come with a 5 year warranty.

Please feel free to call us toll free for more information.(866) 388-AERO
Old 03-11-06, 05:41 PM
lcchris
Driver School Candidate

do body shops buff for you? cause i have no idea how to do it. ive had my car for a little over a month and i want to get all the hair line scratches out before i get the clear bra. can anyone give me suggestions on what i should do to make sure my exterior is shiny and scratchless before i put it on. i.e. what wax to use etc. thanks.
Old 03-11-06, 05:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AeroTect
AeroTect uses Venture and the new 3M that became available to the public in December 2005.
Both films are a good quality film and our cost is the same on both.The new 3M requires
less maintenance for the consumer than Venture.Both films install the same. Many people request Venture because the visual quality of the older 3M film was not as good as Venture.
The new 3M is as good if not better than Venture.

Over the years AeroTect has used many films.The new 3M and Venture are now the only films we install. Both come with a 5 year warranty.

Please feel free to call us toll free for more information.(866) 388-AERO
thanks for the info. so i guess i have the old 3m film on my gs400 then. so from a professional point of view, which film would you recommend then?