IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disapointed in HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 07:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by unit74
Maybe your not seeing what I am seeing (pun intended). The stock high beams suck. Period.

A kit in the DRL's would basically double the light output on high beams. Not to mention be Hella bright (again, pun intended) if I were to have the DRL's remain on for daytime driving.
I thought DRL's ran at half power? would they work with a xenon kit in there?
Old 03-12-06, 09:17 PM
Leechiro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think germans have the better HIDs by much if at all. the best ones i see are on the TL and TSX. even the rx330 looks great, but that might be because it sits so much higher. dang, even the altima/maxima ones are nice.

but audi and bmw do have great ones too.
Old 03-12-06, 10:04 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

The new is and gs headlights use a different system, its called D4S, previous HID lights were either D2S/D2R. The new bulbs burn at a higher temperature thus producing less light output. We may see this trend being adapted into all future vehicles equiped with HID lights, in all makes and models. Something I noticed on the new LS, it appears it uses the same projectors as in the 04-06 LS models, which is a big +.
Old 03-12-06, 10:52 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your not seeing what I am seeing (pun intended). The stock high beams suck. Period.

I'm not an impatient driver like some who drive around flashing everyone to get out of their way. A kit in the DRL's would basically double the light output on high beams. Not to mention be Hella bright (again, pun intended) if I were to have the DRL's remain on for daytime driving.

I'm not some rookie behoch there Unit 91, when it comes to modding cars.
I was just giving you a heads up with what can happen if you flash your highbeams equiped with HID's.

Nobody called you a rookie...
Old 03-13-06, 12:41 AM
shox
Pole Position

IMO, if you don't like it change it. I didn't buy factory HIDs in the first place because:

a) cost too much for the package
b) I don't need adaptive headlights
c) stock HIDs aren't blue enough for me

Another point is though, I don't know if aftermarket HIDs will make much of a difference. I don't know though, I'm just making an assumption because they never seem as bright as stock whether it's BMW, or your so called 'not so good Lexus HIDs'. Let us know if you do change it and if it does make a difference. Hope you find something you like.
Old 03-13-06, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
The new is and gs headlights use a different system, its called D4S, previous HID lights were either D2S/D2R. The new bulbs burn at a higher temperature thus producing less light output. We may see this trend being adapted into all future vehicles equiped with HID lights, in all makes and models. Something I noticed on the new LS, it appears it uses the same projectors as in the 04-06 LS models, which is a big +.
so the d4s is basically the same thing but at higher temperature? why would they want to make the hid dimmer?

Originally Posted by Leechiro
i dont think germans have the better HIDs by much if at all. the best ones i see are on the TL and TSX. even the rx330 looks great, but that might be because it sits so much higher. dang, even the altima/maxima ones are nice.

but audi and bmw do have great ones too.
the best units are the ones in tsx/tl, or the ones in the sc430/ls430 (newer lexus models). you can check with tiguy99 about it

I'm not an impatient driver like some who drive around flashing everyone to get out of their way. A kit in the DRL's would basically double the light output on high beams. Not to mention be Hella bright (again, pun intended) if I were to have the DRL's remain on for daytime driving.

I'm not some rookie behoch there Unit 91, when it comes to modding cars.
do you think the hid system on DRL will really work? DRL is high beam working at lower wattage, basically by supplying a lower voltage to the system. hid works different, you have a ballast to ignite the bulb. without enough juice, i don't think the hid bulb will light up squad. it's either on or off, there is no "not full power hid"..... plus the fact that hid needs longer time to ignite then halogen, so flashing your high beam would become pretty stupid coz' by the time it really turns on, the flash is probably over already

other member is just trying to help, there is no reason to get defensive. you made it sound like you know everything already, i don't want to come offense you as well, so maybe you can educate me a bit instead
Old 03-13-06, 06:17 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I might look into the HID fogs.

With the Depot kits, a supplied relay is kicked when they are turned on. The voltage on the DRL's would not be an issue as the kits are powered as stand alone units. If the voltage was too low to kick the relay, all it would take is a new relay in the system. But I'm confident that the DRL's would have enough power to activate the aftermarket HIDS.

I didn't know about the D4S in the new cars........

Sorry to be defensive...........I get all worked up when people say that a certain car or otherwise is the best thing since sliced bread, or to say I shoulda bought X Brand instead.........I came from X Brand and like what I have now better ......I have all of 90 miles on the 350 and will be writing up a "comaprison" vs my E46 330i when I have a chance to get some good miles on the new ride.
Old 03-13-06, 06:20 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot to mention that if I do do HID in the DRL's, I'll have the dealer deactivate them to work only with the high beams. I'd think that HID's on all the time would blind drivers even durring the day, or on low light days like rain or fog.
Old 03-13-06, 02:35 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Leechiro its funny all the cars u mentioned i have in the dirveway.. LOL MY tl i honestly think has the nicest xexons period end of discussion the rx` lights are also very nice and the maxima are pretty nice... The tl just has somehting nice to it.. And also when i blink my lights high/low they are fine and thats the xexons the tl doesnt have drls or high beam reg lights.
Old 03-13-06, 04:54 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well you can run Hids in DRL's if you hook up a different harness and then tap the side marker or something for the lights to turn on. Remember you don't have to run HID lights of the DRL harness. And In my opinion all european projectors suck in terms of efficiency and performance. Stanley made projectors are able to reflect alot more light then most european made projectors while using the same bulb. Over all the only reason the bmw, audi and benz HID headlights look good is because they have a very blue/purple cutof that most stock stanley projectors don't have but once you do a little mod on any stanley projector you can produce a ton more blue/purple that will produce a vibrant cutof and amazing performance.
Old 03-13-06, 07:12 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

to the above... a little mod in what terms???? too the stock hids??? please elaborate thank you
Old 03-13-06, 07:53 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

If you tapped the side markers, you'd have high beems all the time..........just asking for a ticket.

That's why you'd need to stick with the DRL circuit.
Old 03-14-06, 10:02 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Originally Posted by vicestan
...but once you do a little mod on any stanley projector you can produce a ton more blue/purple that will produce a vibrant cutof and amazing performance.
i would like to know as well
Old 03-14-06, 11:53 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Okay with the mod you have to move the cutof sheild back a few mm, but considering that the is headlights are bi-xenon then the front lens would have to be moved forward a few mm and that would produce a very blue/purple line on the wall in front of you ( thats called the cutof ). In fact just a small hint of blue would already produce the same affect as bmw and audis have since most stanley projectors have very little blue/purple at there cutof to begin with.
Old 03-14-06, 12:43 PM
carlmock
Rookie

did you do a night time test drive? that would have solved all your problems and concerns..

Quick Reply: Disapointed in HID Headlights