IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disapointed in HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 02:24 PM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Okay with the mod you have to move the cutof sheild back a few mm, but considering that the is headlights are bi-xenon then the front lens would have to be moved forward a few mm and that would produce a very blue/purple line on the wall in front of you ( thats called the cutof ). In fact just a small hint of blue would already produce the same affect as bmw and audis have since most stanley projectors have very little blue/purple at there cutof to begin with.
I hate to sound like a noob but how exactly are we going to move the front lens forward? By the way you describe it seems like a not so simple endeavour that requires removing the headlamp assembly etc. to perform the mod. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate a step by step if you didn't mind too much vicestan

Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-06, 04:10 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well it does require the headlight to be disassembled and the projector removed, Ive seen a projector from the 06 gs first hand and it was a new breed of projectors but still most of the cutof mods should work. If you do intend to do this then what you would need to do is heat the light up, remove the lens and remove the projector. If I remember correctly the front lens is held by a O ring metal cover which can be removed externally with out taking the projector apart, once its removed you will need to get some high temp rubber about 2 mm thick from homedepot. Then you have to cutout a O shaped gasket to match the diameter of the projector and put it in there to basically put some space between the lens the projector internals. A few mm should be enough and that will produce a bluer cutof line on the wall and thus giving you a blue/purple flicker effect to incoming drivers. Also you can paint the inside chrome piece any color you want or leave it chrome. Also I recommend everyone have headlight protection film installed on there headlights, these headlights are plastic and will discolor and pit very easily so that protection film is priceless.
Old 03-14-06, 07:15 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carlmock
did you do a night time test drive? ..

Yep.....

that would have solved all your problems and concerns

All it did was inspire me to make this post.....
Old 03-15-06, 04:56 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Just to clear some things up.

1.) You cannot have HID's running as DRL's. DRL's run at decreased power, which would cause an HID kit to eithre flicker non-stop or not turn on at all. Depending on the kit.
2.) Having HID's as highbeams is a bad idea unless the car came equipped with a Bi-Xenon setup. Reason being is that HID's were not meant to be flashed on and off such as with flickering. This will cause the bulb to burn out and/or possibly explode.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I've studied HID setups long and hard before I purchased one for my Acura.