IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How often do you use the paddle shifters or gear box shifter?
Every time I drive my IS
11.49%
50% of the time
14.02%
Only when I'm racing or showing off
37.50%
I tried it once but am just too lazy
36.99%
Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you use the manual shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06 | 08:24 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

DSG really is an automated manual, with a mechanical system literally doing the clutch + shift actions for you. The IS' is just an automatic that gives the impression of manual by letting you choose which gear to drive in. I usually only slide to manual mode to down shift a couple times when I'm going down a hill. Other than that, never.
Old 04-18-06 | 08:30 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Manual shift

If the damn thing shifted when you told it to, I would use it a whole lot more than I do now !
Old 04-18-06 | 08:34 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

I'm a manual die-hard. But these poll results made me realize I need more seat time in a DSG car--only drove a TT 3.2 a few miles once.

Many of these people claim they'll never go back to a clutch, after refusing to ever buy an automatic.

The market for manuals is small enough already. If even half abandons them for DSG, the clutch is dead.

I know the difference between DSG and a manually-shiftable automatic, and knew it before conducting these polls. Still shocking.
Old 04-19-06 | 05:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

you still need clutches to bring power to the tranny but it wont be human actuated now
Old 04-19-06 | 08:58 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is4me2
Need to add "Never Used Yet" to the poll. Some day I'll try it. Tried it on the dealer test car but not on mine yet.
Same here.
Old 04-19-06 | 10:58 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

I tried it the first day, but since then. It's only use seems to be to hold a gear.
Old 04-19-06 | 04:17 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

When this poll was started my answer was rarely about once a week. But now I figured it out I use them every time I drive. I mostly use it when I want to down shift hoping it will save the brakes... after i stop I put it back up and let it do the shifting up..
Old 04-19-06 | 05:12 PM
Kermee
Advanced

I started using the paddles about a month ago and my driving habits got a LOT more aggressive. I usually hold the RPM's between 3K and 3.5K and noticed I've started to double-tap a lot with my left hand...

My IS 250 AWD's average tank MPG has gone from ~22MPG to about ~17MPG.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-19-06 | 10:03 PM
cespiritu
Driver School Candidate

don't use them that much.... there's a bit of a delay when shifting. I preferred the one on my old GS4. Much more responsive.. just my personal opinon..
Old 05-10-06 | 12:34 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Now that I have the car for almost a month the verdict is out on the paddle shifters...

Its a toy for me. When I'm bored or in a light traffic situation, I will use them. But any other type of driving I cant do both things at once. I just wasn't even brought up on a manual. I do like having the option and it makes the IS damn unique (its a cool feature to brag about too).
Old 05-10-06 | 01:04 PM
flybret
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I use them ALL the time, if I didnt I would go crazy. Its hard enough for me to drive a car thats not a manual. I just have to be doing something. I also drive it like I stole it, no wonder I only get 15 mpg
you're not alone on that one. I hope the avg mpg screen can be reset when I go to sell this car. It definitly wont get any better. haha
Old 05-10-06 | 01:19 PM
250awd?
Driver School Candidate

I use the paddle shifters/shift stick almost all the time . I miss my stick shift on my former Hondas. In "manual mode" I exclusively use paddle shifters except when turning and needing to shift (e.g. turning left onto entrance ramp and need shift 1-2) and then I use the console stick as I get mixed up between paddles. I wonder (in long term) if I lessening the life of my tranmission but using "manual" mode so much.

The paddle and console stick have WAY too slow upshift times (e.g. with hard accelerations the gear changes in almost one second after paddle or stick shift input; dealer tells me it is 0.8 secs versus DSG 0.2 secs). This is very disappointing when compared to the A3 DSG and as prior pointed out here DSG has no torque converter. I do not recall upshift times being this slow in the 2004 SMG M3 I test drove/joyrided (in presence of BMW salesman) .

For me: GOOD- there are paddle locations and center console stick; BAD- it has torque converter and lacks the fast response time of DSG (and if memory is correct - SMG).

Last edited by 250awd?; 05-10-06 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-06 | 01:23 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

I couldn't vote because I use manual mode when carving up twisty roads.
Old 05-10-06 | 05:38 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

I actually like using manual mode in stop and go traffic. I set it to 2 or 3 and then I don't have to hop on the brakes as much since the motor slows the car. Of course in the hills, manual is the way to go.

It reminds me of a motorcycle tranny though much slower shifting. In reality it is just like every other automatic tranny. It's a compromise when your spouse doesn't drive stick.
Old 05-10-06 | 11:00 PM
igotanewis
Driver School Candidate

I drove an Acura Integra and Geo Prizm, both were stick shift and it was fun to do the shifting.

I just can't get use to/figure out these 'tiptronic shifters'. It just doesn't feel the same. No clutch. No lateral motion with the hand. No fun. My wife's Volvo is an automatic with a 'tiptronic shifter'. That feels weird to me too.

The paddle shifters look silly to me. Like the pointy ears on a samurai hat. Screams "rice rocket" to me. I'm also driving an IS250 so it's a bit pretentious on a 200 hp car. Aside from the non-reclining rear seats, it's about my only stylistic criticism of my gorgeous car.

So now I'm just driving around with my right hand constantly on the shifter, doing nothing. Or else my right hand plays with the nav screen so it has something to do.

Quick Reply: How often do you use the manual shifters?