IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How often do you use the paddle shifters or gear box shifter?
Every time I drive my IS
11.49%
50% of the time
14.02%
Only when I'm racing or showing off
37.50%
I tried it once but am just too lazy
36.99%
Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you use the manual shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06 | 03:45 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Originally Posted by emissivity
I'm a lazy bastard. All I do is leave the "ect power" button on and floor it.
ditto. i rarely turn the ect power off. i do use the shifters to slow down when i don't want to hit the brakes, ie, when cops are around, and i was driving a bit too fast..
Old 08-01-06 | 12:21 PM
lirandy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcreech
paddles work great for slowing down, taking turns, saving breaks, holding gear....otherwise no need to use them for upshifting and normal driving.

i use them 30/70%
Exactly what I do daily during the traffic...slowing down, saving breaks, holding the rpm to cut through cars...
Old 08-01-06 | 02:32 PM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by IS3FIDDY
I may be a new owner, but can't you get the best of both worlds by setting it to sequential shift mode and then leaving the gear in 6?

This way, you still get all the automatic shifting up to 6th gear, but you always have the option to gun it with the paddle or shifters, at any time...

Just my $.02, but I thought this was obvious...I could be misinformed about how it works, though...
Yes, it is obvious. Why this seems to escape everyone else, I haven't a clue.
Old 08-01-06 | 11:27 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the DSG is far superior to any conventional manual or automatic transmission, it isnt a manually shiftable automatic (no torque converter, theres 2 wet clutches)

Shifts faster than any human can shift, because of this, no power loss during a shift since its so quick, makes more mileage than a manual transmission
Convenience of an automatic transmission in automatic mode, without the big power losses autos usually have, shifts faster than any conventional automatic, downshift multiple gears

Basically has the main strengths of manual and automatic transmissions with little to none of their weaknesses

sort of like the F1 box in the ferrari f430. without the lucscious packaging.
Old 08-01-06 | 11:29 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

the paddle shifters would be a lot more useful if they werent so slow on the upshifts. however in city driving they are as useless as a manual is. just very very annoying in traffic.
Old 08-03-06 | 11:41 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

I think it's the delay to when it begins to shift that bothers people vs. the time it takes for the tranny to complete it. You just have to anticipate it.

The tranny shifts pretty fast. As fast as any street car though a racing manual tranny is faster to shift.
Old 08-03-06 | 04:19 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by digital_b
sort of like the F1 box in the ferrari f430. without the lucscious packaging.
Technically, no. The F1 box in the F430 is similar in respects to an SMG equipped car like an M5/M6 where there is only one clutch, and the computer just does the shifting.

The DSG has two clutches and because of this unique fact, can shift faster than a SMG. However, Ferrari has come a long way with their F1 transmissions and you'd probably be hard pressed to tell a real difference.

So basically, similar. Technically, not.
Old 08-06-06 | 06:12 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jezza
Yes, it is obvious. Why this seems to escape everyone else, I haven't a clue.
Well, leaving it in 6th requires you to tap the stupid thing several times to get it to 3rd or 2nd, which are the gears you'd likely want if you're gunning it. At that point, it's easier just to push the gear shift over to the right and at least start in 4th.
Old 08-06-06 | 09:07 PM
albertchun
Driver School Candidate

use only in 2 occasions.. while starting the car and need some real accerleartion.. use it to lock at gear 1 since I feel some power loss during changing gear 1 to gear 2..

to down shift 2 gear... say from 4 to 2 to act as kick down of padel as i used in older automatic cars.

never used gear to slow down the car since down shifting 1 step gear is much useless than using the break while down shifting 2 gear will push the rpm to 4000. don't wanna screw the gearbox as tires and breakpad are much cheaper to replace.
Old 08-07-06 | 05:50 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
Well, leaving it in 6th requires you to tap the stupid thing several times to get it to 3rd or 2nd, which are the gears you'd likely want if you're gunning it. At that point, it's easier just to push the gear shift over to the right and at least start in 4th.
Huh?!? In manual mode, with 6th gear selected, the tranmission behaves exactly as it would if it were in Drive, the only exception being you can manually for a downshift.
Old 08-07-06 | 02:50 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Cool

Do any of you guys use the shifters for racing? I know that most of you said you only use it for reducing speed. Also, Overall do you guys like using them or no?
Old 08-07-06 | 07:29 PM
tgara
Pole Position

I can't vote in this poll because my choice is not there: Never

IMHO, I wish the paddles were not there. Its a feature I will never use. However, that being said, I can see how other folks may want them, and I am not one to deny choices to people! Perhaps making the paddle shifters an option on the sport package would make sense.
Old 08-13-06 | 10:45 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951

Ya thats what I do. once I get up to speed on the freeway I move the lever back to D and when I do need to accelerate I slap it over to S and that puts me in 4th. and if I REALLY want to accelerate then I slap it to S and then tap the left paddle too so it puts it in 3rd as fast as possible... It seems to be working ok...

Anyone know if the transmission can actually skip gears? when you are in 6th and slap it to S it "says" it goes into 4th... but does it go 6th, 5th then 4th or does it go 6th then 4th... I didnt think any auto transmission was able to skip gears at the moment... I know BMWs NEW transmission can... the one thats going to go into the 335Ci but what about our IS?
Old 08-14-06 | 12:26 AM
ph00ny
Driver School Candidate

During my test drive, manual mode was too rough and slow imo. I will probably use it when merging into freeway and that's probably it.
Old 08-14-06 | 06:28 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Do any of you guys use the shifters for racing? I know that most of you said you only use it for reducing speed. Also, Overall do you guys like using them or no?
If I want to go some, but don't need to floor it, I'll just use them to hold the gear and stay in the upper RPM (above 4k). Around turns, if I'm looking to accelerate, I use them there as well. Otherwise, I think the car does just fine in pwr mode for straight line speed.

Quick Reply: How often do you use the manual shifters?