IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

250 AWD vs. 350 in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 03:44 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Actually, the "lack of quality service" depends on the dealership you go to. I've read a few "lack of service" Lexus dealerships. Don't blame Subaru, blame the dealership. Also, "poor interior quality" is the wrong choice of words. The quality is fine although the use of material isn't high end. Poor interior quality implies that the car falls apart and stuff. Poor brand image? Explain more... So far, my IS350 has had more squeaks than my WRX... so actually I think my Subaru is winning in interior quality. I've owned a Subaru and when my dealership stained one of my headlights I e-mailed Subaru and got my headlights replaced for free. I think when you're talking about "poor interior quality" you're referring to the WRXs and STIs not the Legacy, even though the Legacy's interior still isn't close to Audi's or Lexus's. Anyway, take a look at JD Power Associates reliability chart for 2005. Looks like Subaru is way ahead of Audi in terms of reliability.
Bingo. After hearing all the "squeaks and rattles" tales, I'm a bit leary of letting my WRX go. It hasn't been to a dealer in the 3 years and 51,000 miles I've owned it (with the exception of a 5-minute throttle cable clip recall). It cost me $23k, it's ugly, and it goes like stink in any weather. No, it's not perfect (far from it), but no car is... and at the very least, I demand reliability and no funky build issues. The Subaru has given that and far, far more.

By the way RshaoKh, depending on what rattles you've got (the common ones are the rear mirror and the dash clips that hold the windshield trim bezel and the clock insert), they can be easily fixed. Mine has NO rattles PM me if you need to.
Old 03-17-06, 04:43 PM
jabol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own IS250AWD and I am very happy with its performance. Before purchasing this Lexus, I had Audi A6 Quattro (2.8L) so, in my case, AWD was a must - especially when living in NY. I also considered IS350, but it was an overkill.

To tell you the truth, I have been really trying to figure out why so many people here are concerned with power and are recommending IS350 over Is250AWD. Now I believe there is an easy explanation to all that Most people who post here are in one way or another car fanatics and spend a lot of time here - which is great because of their contribution we can all find very useful information here. However, people like me - who do not want to bother with changing tires, springs, exhaust etc. barely spend time posting here unless they have nothing better to do. Did I just post this?
Old 03-17-06, 05:01 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Don't forget to look at the Volvo S60 R - AWD, 300hp and 6 speed manual and 3 suspension settings.
Old 03-17-06, 05:35 PM
Rockdoc
Driver School Candidate

Here's my opinion on AWD vs Enhanced (with winter tires) RWD:
I've had GS300 and GS430's in the Boston area for many winters. Both RWD's are AWESOME performers with four good winter tires. Honestly, in less than 6 inches they will out perform most suv's because of the ECT snow mode and skid control. Uphill, downhill, curves, ice, name it, it will go through any amount that doesn't cover the bottom, and stop as well. I now have a IS350 that I acquired too late in the season to get snow tires for and it's IMPOSSIBLE to drive in even a dusting of snow. Fortunately I have a backup SUV so I wasn't stranded. The point about taking the trouble to switch over tires (and wheels for an easier changeover) is valid, but winter tires are so much of an improvement that one might even consider changing over on a AWD vehicle. Bottom line is the performance of the IS350 is lightyears beyond the 250 and with proper tires should handle anything PA has to offer except for the occasional 12 inch plus storm where you'd need a high clearance 4WD vehicle anyway.
Old 03-17-06, 06:07 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockdoc
I now have a IS350 that I acquired too late in the season to get snow tires for and it's IMPOSSIBLE to drive in even a dusting of snow.
I've driven mine with a couple inches on the ground, and while its not great, it is far from impossible. I take it you have the summer tires on yours, if it is impossible with just a dusting?
Old 03-18-06, 06:26 AM
Rockdoc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, summer tires are definitely made for snow or ice free roads. I skidded and nearly sideswiped a tree at 15 mph in third gear the one and only time I drove in snow and that was just a dusting (over what was wet and frozen pavement). Scary! I had AAA tow me back to my driveway. My friends and associates who have high performance RWD cars assure me the winter tires enhance performance spectacularly. I guess I'll just wait until next winter to find out.
Have fun! Drive safely!
Old 03-18-06, 05:55 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jabol
I own IS250AWD and I am very happy with its performance. Before purchasing this Lexus, I had Audi A6 Quattro (2.8L) so, in my case, AWD was a must - especially when living in NY. I also considered IS350, but it was an overkill.

To tell you the truth, I have been really trying to figure out why so many people here are concerned with power and are recommending IS350 over Is250AWD. Now I believe there is an easy explanation to all that Most people who post here are in one way or another car fanatics and spend a lot of time here - which is great because of their contribution we can all find very useful information here. However, people like me - who do not want to bother with changing tires, springs, exhaust etc. barely spend time posting here unless they have nothing better to do. Did I just post this?
I agree that a lot of this is relative and most guys here are car enthusiasts and their opinion is probably biased owards the 350. When I drove each, I felt like the 350 was a bit more tricky to handle in the dry. The 250 felt powerful enough but on paper it looks awful. I am coming from an RX300 and with the 250 I will be taking a cut in HP and torque (even though the feeling I got from the 250 didn't coorobarate what was on paper).

Since the ground clearance limits how much snow you can take on, I wonder if I should keep my RX for the winters and enjoy the 350 9-11 months out of the year.
Old 03-18-06, 05:58 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phish2112
i agree Turk Lexus of North Hills has to be the nicest dealership I've ever seen by far, complete with free manicure/massage for my fiance. And the salesmen are overly nice. BUT, they have stopped giving me a timeframe because I think I was one of the first who they told 4-6 weeks, and have delayed so many times they are telling everyone 3+ months. I ordered my AWD Jan 2nd, and it has no special build other than NAV, which should be pretty standard. Becuase I have of late complained immensley of the 'lying' for timeframe of when the car comes in, the GM said if I don't have my car by end of March I can bring in my tradein and they'll put me in a certified pre owned Lexus until it comes in. I'm anticipating mid-april, but at this point who knows. I'm sure I'll forget about my frustrations once I finally get my car.
Phish,
I was at Rohrich today to see if they had the 250 and 350 side by side for me to compare. They did noty have the 350. In fact, they like North Hills said they could count the number of 350s they have sold with one hand and that all their orders was for the 250 AWD.

BUT- They have a 250 AWD w/ Nav sitting on thier lot (it is their only one on the lot). It is white with black interior. If that is what you want, you may want to pick it up on Monday rather than wait for North Hills.
Old 03-20-06, 07:43 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

For a visual comparison, there is no difference except wheels between the 250 and 350. I drove all models and going with 250 rwd MT. 350 with VDMI has so many safety features, it's really hard to get it out of line. I test drove it in slush, and I could not get the backend to come out 18" all-seasons. Power was cut off, but expected. It's fast, almost too fast. You won't even consider the AWD version if you test drive the 350. I had to have a manual or I'd put up the extra money for the 350. Do not buy before you drive the 350.

The dealership you guys are working with only looks at allocations from the North East. They don't realize that you are an hour from the Ohio-MidWest border. Our local Ohio dealer always had an AWD and 350 on the lot (usually 2-3 250s and 1 350). PM for my salesrep's name who got me the best deal in WestPA, OH, IN, KY.

A odd special order will take 3+ months, but what you are looking for is pretty standard IMO.
Old 03-20-06, 08:40 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sailing217
For a visual comparison, there is no difference except wheels between the 250 and 350. I drove all models and going with 250 rwd MT. 350 with VDMI has so many safety features, it's really hard to get it out of line. I test drove it in slush, and I could not get the backend to come out 18" all-seasons. Power was cut off, but expected. It's fast, almost too fast. You won't even consider the AWD version if you test drive the 350. I had to have a manual or I'd put up the extra money for the 350. Do not buy before you drive the 350.

The dealership you guys are working with only looks at allocations from the North East. They don't realize that you are an hour from the Ohio-MidWest border. Our local Ohio dealer always had an AWD and 350 on the lot (usually 2-3 250s and 1 350). PM for my salesrep's name who got me the best deal in WestPA, OH, IN, KY.

A odd special order will take 3+ months, but what you are looking for is pretty standard IMO.
Sailing,
I did try the IS350 and it is a pocket rocket compared to the 250. I was able to get the tail out without too much difficulty though before VDIM kicked in. It is definitely much more fun than the 250. I am in Pittsburgh though and with so many icy hills to climb, I often see the Bimmers and Benzes clogging traffic because they can't get up a crucial hill in our area trying to get to work. I would love the 350 w/ 18" wheels but then I would need to keep one of our SUVs to handle the icy times.

The dealer here actually has a 350 but they had it out for detailing and he offered to bring both the 250 and 350 to my house for me to test side by side for my inconvenience (that is the kind of service that comes with the brand guys and I love Lexus for it).

I am now inclined to stay with my 250 AWD. What I want is sort of an oddity (PS, ML, NV, HW, Lux)- Seems like PS is automatically a special order. If I order tonight, the batch order will go in 4/20 and I would be looking into August, which is way too long. With the 250, I am looking into June.

If I can get G-spyders on my 250 AWD, I will drive that until the 350 AWD comes out in however number of years it takes.
Old 03-28-06, 04:38 AM
phish2112
Driver

Originally Posted by Turkoman
Phish,
I was at Rohrich today to see if they had the 250 and 350 side by side for me to compare. They did noty have the 350. In fact, they like North Hills said they could count the number of 350s they have sold with one hand and that all their orders was for the 250 AWD.

BUT- They have a 250 AWD w/ Nav sitting on thier lot (it is their only one on the lot). It is white with black interior. If that is what you want, you may want to pick it up on Monday rather than wait for North Hills.
thanks for the info Turk. When I ordered my car from North Hills, Rohrich had a Red fully loaded 350. I think it had been on the lot for a while. That white one undoubtedly was the one from the car show that a million people sat in. I'd definately not pick that one up.

Tomorrow I'm giving the dealer my tradein and they're giving me a CPO off the lot to drive until my IS comes in April 20th. They were very quick to offer up a used Lexus from the lot to me. As a matter of fact they asked if I wanted to loan one about three times. So for all those people out there waiting in anticipation or LONGER than the dealer initially told you, ask for a nice loaner until your IS comes in. I'm goign to request an RX. We'll see what they give me tomorrow. I'm a little sad about turning in my convertible spyder as the trade in right when the weather is starting to get nice here, but i guess thats how it goes.