IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

250 AWD vs. 350 in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 09:50 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 AWD vs. 350 in PA?

After a long search for my next car, I finally ordered the IS 250 AWD and waiting with anticipation. The plan was to get rid of our 03 MDX and 99 RX300 with the idea that I would drive the 250 AWD all year round for 3-4 years.

I am not second guessing myself as to whether I should keep the RX or the MDX and get the 350 with 18" performance tires instead. Especially after this winter, which was so mild, I wonder how much I need an AWD car all year round. This year we only had 1 real snow day. Last year it was maybe 15-20. My concern though is about handling. Recently in the Road & Track comparo, the AWD G35 outpaced the RW G35 in all categories. When I drove the 350 and the 250 AWD, I also felt the 250 was more stable in turns but is obviously anemic for off the line. I mean even the ES will have 272 hp now so I am wondering whether the AWD should make me relegate my power so much.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-17-06, 09:54 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turkoman
After a long search for my next car, I finally ordered the IS 250 AWD and waiting with anticipation. The plan was to get rid of our 03 MDX and 99 RX300 with the idea that I would drive the 250 AWD all year round for 3-4 years.

I am not second guessing myself as to whether I should keep the RX or the MDX and get the 350 with 18" performance tires instead. Especially after this winter, which was so mild, I wonder how much I need an AWD car all year round. This year we only had 1 real snow day. Last year it was maybe 15-20. My concern though is about handling. Recently in the Road & Track comparo, the AWD G35 outpaced the RW G35 in all categories. When I drove the 350 and the 250 AWD, I also felt the 250 was more stable in turns but is obviously anemic for off the line. I mean even the ES will have 272 hp now so I am wondering whether the AWD should make me relegate my power so much.

What are your thoughts?
It depends entirely on what you need vs what you want. Personally, I don't want a car as slow as the 250, and the 250 AWD is even slower than the rwd 250.

If I had to have awd, I wouldn't be looking to Lexus. I can get better performance and a more sporting drive from an A4 Quattro along with the same luxury, or save a few grand and go the Legacy GT route, which offers lots more performance for the dollar at the expense of lesser interior quality.

But that's what I'd do. You need to decide for yourself.
Old 03-17-06, 10:59 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Default A4 and Subaru

My needs are a fun to drive sporty sedan and the IS meets that although the 350 meets it better. If I was in southern CA, it would not be a question and I would get the 350. In PA where you can have some serious snow, it is a bit more difficult.

Although one of the finest AWD sport sedans on the market, I would not want a Subaru due to lack of quality service, poor interior quality and extremely poor brand image.

The Audi has service and brand image and is probably the best AWD sedan out there but I have had VW/Audi's before and they are extremely unreliable.

I am fairly sure I want the IS, just can decide between the AWD vs. RW. If there was an IS 350 AWD I would have bought it 5 months ago.

Any thoughts on the handling of AWD IS vs RWD IS? Anyone else feel that the AWD handles better?

Last edited by Turkoman; 03-17-06 at 11:02 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-17-06, 11:13 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I'm in NJ and I just deal with the snow, driving VERY carefully. Never considered the 250...too slow for my tastes.
Old 03-17-06, 11:29 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the IS250 AWD. AWD was a top priority since I have a 70 mile daily roundtrip commute from southern nj to the Valley Forge, PA area every day. When I had a rear wheel drive Catera, after suffering through a couple of bad winters, I swore I would only buy AWD. If you have to go up hilly roads and have a long commute, my vote is for the AWD. If performance is a top priority, then get the IS 350 and get some blizzak tires--I hear that they do make a difference as far as traction goes. As far as the power--when I test drove the G35, I felt there was almost too much power, I have no complaints with the IS250. I would spend some time with each car, including the Audi, Subaru and IS250, and IS 350--it should become clearer after a few more test drives.
Old 03-17-06, 11:33 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I have the IS250 AWD. AWD was a top priority since I have a 70 mile daily roundtrip commute from southern nj to the Valley Forge, PA area every day. When I had a rear wheel drive Catera, after suffering through a couple of bad winters, I swore I would only buy AWD. If you have to go up hilly roads and have a long commute, my vote is for the AWD. If performance is a top priority, then get the IS 350 and get some blizzak tires--I hear that they do make a difference as far as traction goes. As far as the power--when I test drove the G35, I felt there was almost too much power, I have no complaints with the IS250. I would spend some time with each car, including the Audi, Subaru and IS250, and IS 350--it should become clearer after a few more test drives.
Good point...my commute is only a few miles, so I can easily deal with no AWD.
Old 03-17-06, 11:59 AM
phish2112
Driver

Fox may I ask which PA dealer you ordered your AWD? I ordered an AWD from Lexus of North Hills and have been waiting 3 months when initially they told me 4-6 weeks.
Old 03-17-06, 11:59 AM
phish2112
Driver

Fox may I ask which PA dealer you ordered your AWD? I ordered an AWD from Lexus of North Hills and have been waiting 3 months when initially they told me 4-6 weeks.

Turk I meant to ask, not Fox
Old 03-17-06, 12:50 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Default Same

We are on the same boat. I also ordered from Lexus of North Hills. It is a superb dealership complex, probably the best I have seen. The sales rep and manager I dealt with are very nice although the rep knew less about the car than I did.

They initially told me 6-8 weeks on my first visit. After a talk with the inventory manager, the sales rep said 3 months before I signed the paperwork. When I called with a question 3 weeks later, he said the inventory manager now estimates 4-5 months (estimating July for me).

The funny thing is, and I am not sure if this is due to ignorance or on purpose, I called four dealerships initially and they all said 6-8 weeks for a special order, which we know is not true. I wonder if they sort of get you on the hook and your mind set on the car first and then gently break the news to you that it is 4+ months after you commit.

I am now refraining from calling my sales rep again as it seems like the delivery estimate gets a one month extension each time If I decide to change to a 350, I will probably have to add another month on top, which is why I am asking the question early.
Old 03-17-06, 01:04 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Although one of the finest AWD sport sedans on the market, I would not want a Subaru due to lack of quality service, poor interior quality and extremely poor brand image.
Nothing like passing up a great automobile because other people might not know how rich and special you are
Old 03-17-06, 01:30 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleh, the new subaru's look horrid(06+) I would go for the EVO IX

Well anyway, in your situation, I would go with the GS300 AWD! People are getting them for just a little over invoice.
Old 03-17-06, 02:09 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Default What can I say, I am a snob

Originally Posted by mcfly
Nothing like passing up a great automobile because other people might not know how rich and special you are
There are other reasons why I don't want a Subaru as I have indicated. BUT, yes, there are certain cars I would not want to be seen in. Brand image is one of many factors I consider when buying a car as others would as well. Call me a snob if you wish.

Besides, there are also other fine choices like the 330, G35, M45 etc. I have already been through that part of my decision process and settled on the IS.

My initial question was not whether I should consider a Subaru or Audi. It was "which IS should I get"? 250 AWD or 350 RWD w/ a backup SUV in the snowbelt and whether people felt that AWD adds to handling or not in the IS.

By the way, I tried the GS300 AWD but it just doesn't provide the driving fun that the IS does even compared to the 250. To me the GS felt closer to the ES than IS.
Old 03-17-06, 02:22 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

There are other reasons why I don't want a Subaru as I have indicated. BUT, yes, there are certain cars I would not want to be seen in. Brand image is one of many factors I consider when buying a car as others would as well. Call me a snob if you wish.

Besides, there are also other fine choices like the 330, G35, M45 etc. I have already been through that part of my decision process and settled on the IS.

My initial question was not whether I should consider a Subaru or Audi. It was "which IS should I get"? 250 AWD or 350 RWD w/ a backup SUV in the snowbelt and whether people felt that AWD adds to handling or not in the IS.

By the way, I tried the GS300 AWD but it just doesn't provide the driving fun that the IS does even compared to the 250. To me the GS felt closer to the ES than IS.
That's fine.

Like other's have said, it depends on whether you have to drive in the snow on a regular basis or not. Again, I wouldn't be caught dead in a 250. Not because it has less cache than a 350, but because it's just too damn slow.

I grew up in New England. While I know PA gets a decent amount of snow on occasion, it's nothing compared to upstate NY or even Boston. I think you'd be more than fine with a 350 and a good set of snow tires. Me, I just hop in my Subaru and power slide everywhere if the weather's actually that bad
Old 03-17-06, 03:05 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Audi has service and brand image and is probably the best AWD sedan out there but I have had VW/Audi's before and they are extremely unreliable.
Actually, the "lack of quality service" depends on the dealership you go to. I've read a few "lack of service" Lexus dealerships. Don't blame Subaru, blame the dealership. Also, "poor interior quality" is the wrong choice of words. The quality is fine although the use of material isn't high end. Poor interior quality implies that the car falls apart and stuff. Poor brand image? Explain more... So far, my IS350 has had more squeaks than my WRX... so actually I think my Subaru is winning in interior quality. I've owned a Subaru and when my dealership stained one of my headlights I e-mailed Subaru and got my headlights replaced for free. I think when you're talking about "poor interior quality" you're referring to the WRXs and STIs not the Legacy, even though the Legacy's interior still isn't close to Audi's or Lexus's. Anyway, take a look at JD Power Associates reliability chart for 2005. Looks like Subaru is way ahead of Audi in terms of reliability.
Old 03-17-06, 03:18 PM
phish2112
Driver

We are on the same boat. I also ordered from Lexus of North Hills. It is a superb dealership complex, probably the best I have seen. The sales rep and manager I dealt with are very nice although the rep knew less about the car than I did.

They initially told me 6-8 weeks on my first visit. After a talk with the inventory manager, the sales rep said 3 months before I signed the paperwork. When I called with a question 3 weeks later, he said the inventory manager now estimates 4-5 months (estimating July for me).

The funny thing is, and I am not sure if this is due to ignorance or on purpose, I called four dealerships initially and they all said 6-8 weeks for a special order, which we know is not true. I wonder if they sort of get you on the hook and your mind set on the car first and then gently break the news to you that it is 4+ months after you commit.

I am now refraining from calling my sales rep again as it seems like the delivery estimate gets a one month extension each time If I decide to change to a 350, I will probably have to add another month on top, which is why I am asking the question early.
i agree Turk Lexus of North Hills has to be the nicest dealership I've ever seen by far, complete with free manicure/massage for my fiance. And the salesmen are overly nice. BUT, they have stopped giving me a timeframe because I think I was one of the first who they told 4-6 weeks, and have delayed so many times they are telling everyone 3+ months. I ordered my AWD Jan 2nd, and it has no special build other than NAV, which should be pretty standard. Becuase I have of late complained immensley of the 'lying' for timeframe of when the car comes in, the GM said if I don't have my car by end of March I can bring in my tradein and they'll put me in a certified pre owned Lexus until it comes in. I'm anticipating mid-april, but at this point who knows. I'm sure I'll forget about my frustrations once I finally get my car.

Quick Reply: 250 AWD vs. 350 in PA?