IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Premature destination?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06 | 08:48 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Premature destination?

I've noticed this on my IS ever since I got it. A lot of times if I am using the nav, it will say "you have arrived at your destination" and stop the guidance when I'm not actually at my destination yet. I'm always pretty close to there, but sometimes it even does it before I make the last turn onto the correct street. It will say "Turn ahead" or whatever on the nav voice, but before I actually make the turn, it thinks I'm already at the destination. I guess they would want to do this a little early in case you are going fast, so you can have time to stop and not overshoot your destination. But shouldn't it at least wait until you are on the correct street??? Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Old 03-20-06 | 08:54 AM
Langdell
Driver

Yes, I have noticed that my IS usually announces that I have arrived at my destination long before I actually have. It can vary from a few blocks to, in one case, at least like half a mile or more. Only a couple of times has the nav system timed my arrival exactly right. Still, it's usually better than not having the foggiest idea where you're going. (Except the other night when my IS was directing me to a restaurant that didn't exist, at least not anywhere near the location she guided me to.)
Old 03-20-06 | 08:55 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

That is not uncommon with Navs I have used with Acura and Mercedes (although it is less common with Acura). I think it is largely due to the fact that street numbers are not always precise on the Nav maps. For example, all nav systems think our house is on the opposite corner of our street and want us to turn that way.
Old 03-20-06 | 09:01 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Turkoman
That is not uncommon with Navs I have used with Acura and Mercedes (although it is less common with Acura). I think it is largely due to the fact that street numbers are not always precise on the Nav maps. For example, all nav systems think our house is on the opposite corner of our street and want us to turn that way.

My Girlfriends house is the same way, and if you look it up on mapquest it is wrong as well. It just how it is, but i think I can live with it. I you can't find a place with in a few hundred feet you shouldn't be driving.
Old 03-20-06 | 09:20 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

It's just weird because directions for turns, intersections, highway ramps etc. are almost always spot-on. Even when the destination circle is in the correct place on the maps, and the car's location on the map is also correct, it will still say I've arrived somewhere when I'm clearly not there yet. It's weird that this part of the system would be flawed when it usually times the turn instructions correctly to within just a few seconds (at least for me).
Old 03-20-06 | 09:36 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Noticed this too, but no big deal. Most Navs do this,but you are "right at" your destination.
Old 03-20-06 | 10:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

If you look at the nav demo cd that came with your vehicle, it describes why this happens. It no good telling you you've arrived at your destination when you're exactly there, otherwise you'll likely have to backtrack. It tells you ahead of time, so you can keep your eyes open for the posted address.
Old 03-20-06 | 10:09 AM
Aterrex
Driver

If you look at the nav demo cd that came with your vehicle, it describes why this happens. It no good telling you you've arrived at your destination when you're exactly there, otherwise you'll likely have to backtrack. It tells you ahead of time, so you can keep your eyes open for the posted address.
Also the Gps cannot exatly estimate when your street number will appear. That is what i would have said too. Nicely put.
Old 03-20-06 | 10:10 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

If this happens too often, try thinking about baseball players or records...
Old 03-20-06 | 10:15 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dnszoom
If this happens too often, try thinking about baseball players or records...
LOL, it was only a matter of time before somebody went there...

Originally Posted by TimboIS
That is good info, thanks. I wish this were adjustable though. Usually when I am getting close to my destination I look at the thing on the nav that says how far away I am... So I'm already pretty well prepared, and don't need the computer to warn me so far ahead of time. I personally think it would be more helpful if it actually said you have arrived when you really have arrived.

Not to mention that some smart-a$$ in my car always says "Umm, not exactly!" when it says we've arrived before we really have. It happens every time!
Old 03-20-06 | 11:22 AM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

lol ya the worst time was when it told me i arrived at the destination right after it told me to go onto a highway ramp =D
the place was actually two blocks or so away from the highway ramp, but the thing decided the middle of the highway ramp was good enough hehe
Old 03-20-06 | 11:22 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
LOL, it was only a matter of time before somebody went there...

That is good info, thanks. I wish this were adjustable though. Usually when I am getting close to my destination I look at the thing on the nav that says how far away I am... So I'm already pretty well prepared, and don't need the computer to warn me so far ahead of time. I personally think it would be more helpful if it actually said you have arrived when you really have arrived.

Not to mention that some smart-a$$ in my car always says "Umm, not exactly!" when it says we've arrived before we really have. It happens every time!
It would just make more sense--and take away ammunition from smart aleck passengers--if the system simply said "You are about to arrive at your destination," instead of that you have arrived. Ah, well. Even a Lexus is only passionately pursuing perfection.
Old 03-20-06 | 11:26 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Langdell
It would just make more sense--and take away ammunition from smart aleck passengers--if the system simply said "You are about to arrive at your destination," instead of that you have arrived. Ah, well. Even a Lexus is only passionately pursuing perfection.
True! If it's a documented feature that it makes the announcement before you actually get there, then the announcement should be "Your destination is ahead", and then it could make another one when you actually get there...

Does anyone know where all the voice data is stored? It must take up a lot of room to have all those sayings recorded... Or does it just keep the text of the messages stored, and then do text-to-speech synthesis to give voice commands? Anyway, I'm sure it would be a pain to change the message manually... But I'm just wondering where that info is even stored.
Old 03-20-06 | 11:43 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
True! If it's a documented feature that it makes the announcement before you actually get there, then the announcement should be "Your destination is ahead", and then it could make another one when you actually get there...

Does anyone know where all the voice data is stored? It must take up a lot of room to have all those sayings recorded... Or does it just keep the text of the messages stored, and then do text-to-speech synthesis to give voice commands? Anyway, I'm sure it would be a pain to change the message manually... But I'm just wondering where that info is even stored.
It actually does say "Your destination is ahead on the right" or left, as required.
Old 03-20-06 | 11:49 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It actually does say "Your destination is ahead on the right" or left, as required.
Yes, it does, before you get there. (I especially like knowing that it tells you on the right or the left, as I otherwise never know which lane to be in when trying to find someplace unfamiliar.) But it definitely also says "You have arrived . . . " before you actually do.

Maybe this is what people mean when they say that owning a Lexus means you have arrived.

Quick Reply: Premature destination?